Surviving 203s in Australia?

Mike Tippett

VIP Paid Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I wonder if anyone here has an estimate or best guess at how many 203s survive in Australia. This is for a friend of mine in Germany, a 203 Commerciale owner.

Thanks for any information you may have.

Cheers
Reiner 203 Commerciale.jpeg

Gordon Miller had over 300 on his database but that included wrecks. Back at the 1988 anniversary there were over 50 registered cars the Peugeot club in Victoria had on its books. The Redex Re-Run in 2003 saw some cars being put back on the road for the event. My guess is there would be maybe 150 cars road capable, under restoration or stored for future restoration. The register has not been maintained and the original list lost.

For what it's worth, I know of six wagons currently on the road- two in Canberra, two in Ballarat, one in Albury and one on the central coast of NSW.

Attachments

• P1010697.JPG
    P1010697.JPG
    964.2 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20130814_155844.jpg
    IMG_20130814_155844.jpg
    778.4 KB · Views: 105
FWIW, i've been filing as many advertised 203s as i can for a few years ( and yet can't be sure my own one still exists )
if present and active members can agree on definition (wreck/ road-capable) and identify enough to not be counting the same ones ( photos? ) we should get close to 100 in no time.
https://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/index.php?threads/where-did-your-peugeot-passion-begin.85941/ had me thinking how many were in the hills around Castlemaine, so i assume there'd been a dealer in Bendigo or Maryborough - well before my time; I can't recall any on the Burwood or Calder highways - only really knew Regan's and of John Ould ... up here, in Atherton maybe Chano Trentin goes back ... the other day Pete Munro mentioned a garage ( Carl Foster ) in Bellingen (!) had sold 50 each 203's & 403's ...

Last edited:
Gordon Miller had over 300 on his database but that included wrecks. Back at the 1988 anniversary there were over 50 registered cars the Peugeot club in Victoria had on its books. The Redex Re-Run in 2003 saw some cars being put back on the road for the event. My guess is there would be maybe 150 cars road capable, under restoration or stored for future restoration. The register has not been maintained and the original list lost.
If only we had someone, a 203 enthusiast, that had the interest to create a new 203 database for Australia? Am checking in the Peugeot club Victoria to see if we have Gordons list.

A registrar would have to be someone with a close working relationship with the Peugeot clubs but also with contacts with non-club enthusiasts. Gordon Miller managed to build up an authority with all groups. Once this site closes there will be no common area of contact for non-club owners.
Looking back -In 1997 the Peugeot Car Club in Victoria listed 84 203's owned and 45 of them registered.

i can account for one 203 panel van and ute on club plates
1950 sedan roadworthy and a couple waiting in the wings

I always thought the 203 register was a Victorian Peugeot club territory. In three months this site will close and running a register will become more difficult. Not everyone is a club member and there will be no obvious contact place.

Ah don't give up, I've been able to get nearly 2500 404C cars together without a massive problem. Get and stay in touch with the clubs!

There are still quite a few 203's out there in backyards owned by people that think they have a gold mine in the waiting
I know two sedans not far from here slowly but surely rotting away
I think someone like Russel wold be well suited to take on the role of 203 registrar

I always thought the 203 register was a Victorian Peugeot club territory. In three months this site will close and running a register will become more difficult. Not everyone is a club member and there will be no obvious contact place.
Is aussiefrogs closing in 3 months? Or have I missed the site you were referring to?

I should have started one earlier on but I did think the club in Victoria was keeping the register. Car people can be territorial. But I'm not the person to do it now because I'm not a clubman and after this site goes I won't be online anywhere. Gordon did more than compile a register, he promoted the cars and ran a newsletter and organized annual weekends away. Gordon and the 40th Anniversary and the Redex Re-Run were all very important in raising the profile of the 203. I do think a register helps the survival of a model and it would be good if someone revived the idea.