standard power output for a gti-6? (dyno sheet attached)

GTi - 666

Fellow Frogger
this is a dyno printout from my gti-6 i bought last week

figure is a.t.w, does anyone know how this shapes up in the big scheme of things?

pug%20dyno.JPG

GTi - 666 said:
this is a dyno printout from my gti-6 i bought last week

figure is a.t.w, does anyone know how this shapes up in the big scheme of things?

pug%20dyno.JPG

by my calcs 91kW = 163hp (flywheel)

a.t.w.?

a.t.w. = at the wheel; that is after all the power losses through the transmission.
This is the most useful figure in the real world - however it will vary somewhat from dyno to dyno and is very dependent on the set up of the car at the time - tyre pressures, fuel, humidity, etc.
This gives manufacturers the excuse to use the much higher, but standardised, gross figures that are quoted. Even these may not be all that standard - in the past, perhaps still, American figures - for example - were quoted without any ancillaries - alternator, waterpump, aircon, etc. - while others had some engine driven ancillaries included.
At least you know what your car develops a.t.w. on a particular day and under particular conditions - which is more than most of the rest of us!
Have fun. :pugplak:

Welcome to :afplak: and congratulations on your new GTi6. How many kms has it done? Is it in good knick? Are you in NSW, is that Springwood out Penrith way?

Thanks for posting the dyno results, that's a useful to post up as a resource. As for it's results, it appears to be fairly normal. As was said before dyno results can be dependent on a variety of conditions.

Were you using 98 RON? Full synthetic oil?

welcome to AF

What isnt there is the torque graph. if you ever get a chance to do it, it will bring a smile to your face. :)

if you want a comparo, there are few dyno sheets flying around on the Reno forum with Clio's. Jastanis one is also in the shootout mode so you can make a direct comparison. Keep in mind Dynodynamic shootout mode has a "generous" reading by few kW's.

tekkie said:
welcome to AF
Jastanis one is also in the shootout mode so you can make a direct comparison. Keep in mind Dynodynamic shootout mode has a "generous" reading by few kW's.

Eh Voytek!? I've never had my '6 on the dyno yet....
Though I probably should.

cheers,
Jude

The good thing about Shootout mode is that the user can't make adjustments, so it's more reliable when comparing with other Dynodynamics setups.

There's heaps of torque down low, that's why the power is so fat down low. Compare it with Ky's 1.9L Mi16.

Attachments

• Bhp Torque1.JPG
    Bhp Torque1.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,151
That's how much power I got out of my not quite crazy 205 Gti, and that's not enough for a Gti6 motor. Doesn't sound it to me. I may be wrong. Using the calculation that I prefer, (from www.pumaracing.co.uk) that power equates to 146 bhp at the wheels. But there is no hard and fast correct extrapolation equation. Not that I know of anyway.
PeterT; what calculation do you use?

I agree with Peter.

Thats how much power at the wheels I have seen other GTi6's make.

When's that dyno day?

I want to see how all the cars compare on one day.

Vic?

jastanis said:
No worries! But hopefully I'll get my act together and get it dyno'd. Just have to find a place in SA that does a good job and doesn't charge like a wounded bull.

TurboTune over on South Rd opposite Castle Plaza have looked after me. Cos I knew the owner's son I got a nice discount too.

turbopeugeot306 used them too...

Warwick2 said:
That's how much power I got out of my not quite crazy 205 Gti, and that's not enough for a Gti6 motor. Doesn't sound it to me. I may be wrong. Using the calculation that I prefer, (from www.pumaracing.co.uk) that power equates to 146 bhp at the wheels. But there is no hard and fast correct extrapolation equation. Not that I know of anyway.

The theory goes that FWDs lose 10% from flywheel through transmission to wheels, RWDs 20% and 4WDs 30%... But rarely (in this application) does theory agree with reality...

Answer? Get your car dynoed (usually done in 3rd gear) and compare ATW figures. And ask for your torque curve too as it's what the power curve is solely based on - yes a direct linear (basic mathematical factor (i.e. x) multiplication) relationship!!!

Warwick2 said:

1kW=1.34hp

1hp at the wheels also seems to equate to 1.34hp at the flyweel. This has been from known experiences, rather than text books.
eg

S2 Mi16
116kW flywheel = 116 hp ATW = 155hp flywheel

also

S1 205 GTi
75kW flywheel = 75hp ATW = 100hp flywheel

so, hp flywheel = kW ATW x 1.34 x 1.34

In the UK they seem to use a factor of 1.4, but I think that's a bit generous. They seem to get some fantastic flywheel figures, from rolling roads.

Last edited:
PeterT said:
In the UK they seem to use a factor of 1.4, but I think that's a bit generous. They seem to get some fantastic flywheel figures, from rolling roads.

Actually, they're not being generous at all. They're just using a different definition of horsepower (a different 'standard'). There's DIN, EEC, SAE...

I personally just remember that 75kW = 100bhp (ratio of 1:1.3333333333.................)

P.S. Aussie S2 Mi16 = 112kW. I posted a list in another thread - straight from official Australian Peugeot tech notes. :)

Last edited:
205 GTI16 said:
Actually, they're not being generous at all. They're just using a different definition of horsepower (a different 'standard'). There's DIN, EEC, SAE...

I personally just remember that 75kW = 100bhp (ratio of 1:1.3333333333.................)

P.S. Aussie S2 Mi16 = 112kW. I posted a list in another thread - straight from official Australian Peugeot tech notes. :)

As Darren said, it's a bit ridiculous trying to compare dyno's. Makes good pub talk but that's about all. Did you see how much pressure was in the tyres?

I thought we used the same standard as the poms! Their figures at the wheels are the similar to ours, but then they derive what I call "high" flywheel figures, from the wheel figures. How can that be? If you have a look at some graphs in 205gtidrivers, you'll notice they're mostly all in flywheel.

PeterT said:
As Darren said, it's a bit ridiculous trying to compare dyno's. Makes good pub talk but that's about all. Did you see how much pressure was in the tyres?

I thought we used the same standard as the poms! Their figures at the wheels are the similar to ours, but then they derive what I call "high" flywheel figures, from the wheel figures. How can that be? If you have a look at some graphs in 205gtidrivers, you'll notice they're mostly all in flywheel.

The guy that did my dyno said that 115 atw translated into 170 flywheel, which is 1.48. Using 1.34 it's getting 154 at Flywheel. I knew I should have got that pod filter and new exhaust instead :) Coupled with a frogs sticker I could have doubled the increase over standard and got an extra 20hp :mallet:

Ky

Ive had my 306 gti6 engined 205 on the RR.
Didnt get an Nm figure since they had to get it from my rev counter which isnt working yet.
My exhaust is killing some power since is is 48mm in contrast to 63mm standard....

There was also a standard 306gti. Came to 183hp...and 192Nm

Attachments

• rfs uitdraai.jpg
    rfs uitdraai.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 443