Sprngs for a 205 Gti

Darren,

between the shocks (adjustable koni's) new strut assembly and new springs... you are very near the $1000+ and you still have no idea if the load rating will be what you want. Then you are up for another set. and another set... unless you copy someone else's setup in excatly the same car you are building, that you KNOW will suit your driving style.

<small>[ 23 July 2003, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: tekkie ]</small>

Thats true Voytek but try and find coilovers for a 205? In Oz they are few and far between and O/S they are hugely expensive. Take for instance the Spax coilovers available thru Autofive. They are 425pounds. That is going to equate to about $2000AUD. And even then from looking at them I'm not sure whether the struts are adjustable like the Konis are.

Don't wate u're time with coil overs maate.. u're not gonna set the world on fire with a 205.

I Spoke to Industrial Springs in Adelaide today.
205 Gti springs take 3 weeks to produce, and will sell for $145 the pair.

These springs, and anything else made in Australia are "Hot wound"
Eibachs, spax, and other performance based springs are "Cold wound", and are of better quality, which are ideal for the track.

If you are not racing or doing track work, just an occasional sprint up in the hills, then locally made springs should be sufficient.

The Industrial range come with a 2 year warranty, and can be made to specification. IE. if you have an Mi16 motor fitted, you tell them the extra weight, they make the spring to suit.
You can also get them supplied 40mm lower.

I can organise springs from Adelaide if anyone is interested.

Cheers
Adrian Colman :) :)

You can buy coil overs through Peugeot Sport. Last time I looked they added up to about AUS$1200 per pair (without shocks)

I think the springs I offered are the best value Parry.

Luca:
Don't wate u're time with coil overs maate.. u're not gonna set the world on fire with a 205.
You obviously haven't been to a CSCA Supersprint and seen how a well sorted 205 Mi16 with coil overs performs! I'll post the latest results somehow.

Ok can I offer my 2_cents

1. The difference between s1 and s2 struts are the position of the spring base. For s2 the spring base is set a bit higher to cater for the 15inch wheels.

2. Coil-overs will be useless without a full cage. With coil-over you will be getting so much body flex that the shocks will not be working effectively and hence a waste of time.

Neil

So true Neil. The car I'm referring to has a welded in, steel roll bar.

What do you guys think would be best for the extra weight of the GTi6 motor in the 205 shell?

Get Eibach springs for it Goat and I guarantee your shocks will never bottom out under that extra weight... they have a progressive action that gets stiffer as the spring is compressed. They work really well with most shocks because they're rebound is slow as standard.

Reply from King Springs

Unfortunately we do not manufacture coils for the Peugeot 205 GTi. We would require a sample coil to Rate and design then manufacture a coil that you require . We could only advise of a rate that you may require after this is done.
King Springs do not manufacture torsion bars.

Regards,

Brad Green - Sales & Service
KING SPRINGWORKS PTY LTD

Parry,

As expected they will need the load rating, progressive rate, height and coil diameter before they can make a spring for you especially that there might be a weight differential after the engine swap.
Your only hope would be to find somone who has already done this on their 205Mi16 and is happy with the result.

or

coilovers and dial in your own loading.

Guys, I've been running the Spax Coilovers (RSX) in the 205-Mi16 and I have to say they've been pretty good - I've had very little if any body flex although it's fair to say that my car has some very stiff strut braces top & bottom front and very stiff Pugsport (I think 24mm) rear torsion beam.

I totally agree that a full cage would make a significant difference but am not convinced that you can't get very good handling without one.

After a minor motorsport 'moment' in which I've 'modified' my coil-over struts probably beyond repair, I'm also now looking around at options for replacement and will be following this thread with interest.

We're also actually looking into possibly modifying the hub cariers to allow for negative camber without extending track as without being able to inject good camber and caster a lot of the handling advantages go out the window IMO.

Cheers
Steve

Very intresting post about seting a 205 track car over at pug sport.

tyre pressures 26-28 psi front 32-36 rear..Have you got adjustable top mounts?If you have a good set up for the car would be as follows:
2.5 degrees neg,3.0 caster,parallel tracking
200lb front springs,ride height set about .5 inch higher at front than rear.Make sure that the lower arms are approx level/square as you will get strange traits if running too low,with arms angled higher at the wheel than the subframe.If you have just got 309 arms,then that is about 1.5 degrees neg,which is a fair compromise,but the car will understeer sooner.
Bigger torsion bars/antiroll bar at the rear.
As a rough guide that would make the car handle pretty neutrally,touch of understeer when really pushing it.
If you like a bit more bite on turn in,more oversteery car pm me and I'll give you the trick we found when developing the car,worth a good .5 sec a lap on average.
lap times with a 205 on standard size brakes/calipers and 180bhp at flywheel/close ratio g/box non slippy diff
read as follows(on a539 yokos):
Anglesey 53.7
Brands 58.9
Donington National 1.26.9
Mallory 53.9
Castle Combe 1.23.6

May also be useful to contact Miles as he runs in the Toyo champs,using your tyre type,he may well be able to help.

GTace(Gary)good to see you finally put the running gear in a 205,say hello to Simon for me.All the specs above are how I ran my car for those two seasons,it may help you with your current chase of the Honda

Cheers Luca - now I just play the waiting game while Eibach sort themselves out I suppose

<small>[ 25 July 2003, 01:15 AM: Message edited by: Goat ]</small>