Sound deadener/insulation.

On a positive note, at least I know I won't startle a 4CV driver if I rip past at full noise on my drag piped Harley.😉

I had the Renault Laguna ii V6 out today and remembered to do some sound checks. I did these with the radio off and the windows up. The ventilation fan was running at about 30 %

Back ground noise (nothing on) 20 dB
Idling 35- 40 dB
60 kph 55-57 dB
100 kph 60-63 db

I did this with the Pro Audio Tools app on my phone, the app is not calibrated but does give a rough idea of the sound levels.

I had the Renault Laguna ii V6 out today and remembered to do some sound checks. I did these with the radio off and the windows up. The ventilation fan was running at about 30 %

Back ground noise (nothing on) 20 dB
Idling 35- 40 dB
60 kph 55-57 dB
100 kph 60-63 dB

I did this with the Pro Audio Tools app on my phone, the app is not calibrated but does give a rough idea of the sound levels.
Had the Renault R12 out for a drive so took the opportunity to take some sounds levels.

Back ground noise (nothing on) 18-20 dB
Idling 53- 55 dB
60 kph 65-67 dB
100 kph 73-75dB

Again used the Pro Audio Tools app on my phone, quite a big difference to the Laguna

Had the Renault R12 out for a drive so took the opportunity to take some sounds levels.

Back ground noise (nothing on) 18-20 dB
Idling 53- 55 dB
60 kph 65-67 dB
100 kph 73-75dB

Again used the Pro Audio Tools app on my phone, quite a big difference to the Laguna
dB is a logarithmic scale too if I recall. Haven't tried it in the R8 but at 100 kph and 4,000 rpm conversation isn't really easy......

dB is a logarithmic scale too if I recall. Haven't tried it in the R8 but at 100 kph and 4,000 rpm conversation isn't really easy......
Yes that is correct John, be interesting to have some readings from your R8.

Also be interesting to get some readings from Shoji's R17 when he has it back on the road and compare my readings with the R17 with some additional sound proofing.

I don't mind trying that app COL when it's back on the road. I never thought it was loud inside the car and conversation was ok on freeway. I remember the R17 has a loud exhaust too! The original matting is still on the boot panel behind the rear seat and I think without that it would be loud inside. I'll take a pic of that today.

Reactions: COL