SeaFoam vs Fault Codes

Mickles

Fellow Frogger
Some of you might find this an interesting read, especially if you are experiencing some similar issues to me.
I run a cheap Elm327 OBD II bluetooth box and Torque on my phone and use that as my instrument panel on my 2008 308 HDi 2.0
It also reads fault codes and after having none originally, about a year and a half ago it clocked up an EGR sensor fault. Nothing seemed to make it go away and after clearing it the fault would always return within a minute or so. I always use a Wynns diesel fuel conditioner additive each fuel load and once a week would blat it out in 2nd gear which would result in a big blast of black smoke as the dpf cleared after which the car ran smoother and felt more responsive. This didn't seem to help with the EGR fault however and as there was no de-pollution warning I just lived with it. When I went for a service they confirmed the EGR fault but also noted that they are expensive to replace. Over the months a few more fault codes were exposed by the Elm327, all to do with powertrain but without a planet box, the explanation was always non specific. I know one was found to be a glow plug fault but I was told at the service not to worry as one glow plug fault is not an issue.
So, just before Christmas I viewed some youtube videos on seafoam in diesels and after reading some information I decided to give it a shot. The vehicle was due for a service so good time to see if SeaFoam might help it run a bit better.
I ordered the large can of SeaFoam and added the specified amount to the fuel and also a small amount in the oil, yes in the oil ! It claims that it does not change the viscosity and of course it's supposed to clean the oil galleries and lines etc.
Well, after a short drive the car did feel a bit punchier and my weekly blast was seeing less and less black smoke but the fault codes remained.
So Christmas came and went and the car sat unused until I went back to work recently but after a couple of hundred kms I decided to clear the fault codes.
The interesting thing is that the only code to return is the one associated with the glow plug. This is the first time that all the other codes have remained silent. I have cleared and scanned for codes numerous times since then and they have definitely gone. I'm going to add more SeaFoam now I have a full tank of fuel again. I can only assume that the addition of SeaFoam has made the changes I am seeing but I would view the results with scepticism. I am no expert and can only report what I am seeing. If you were considering trying the SeaFoam product I would do so. Can't guarantee you'll see changes similar to mine or indeed any change at all but it's definitely a product that I will now continue to use in my diesel.
Just a final word, I have also put some seafoam in the fuel I use in my petrol machines such as mower and brush cutter and they seem to start easier, run smoother and I have been able to reduce the idle speed as now they continue to run at a slower speed. I'm particularly impressed with the brush cutter as it runs a treat, is very responsive and is over 20 years old

Seafoam states the product is a blend of hydrocarbon solvents plus propyl alcohol. It should just burn with the fuel. It would alter the lubricant in sufficient quantity. I am sceptical.

Injector nozzles aren't as clogged as some of the additive sellers claim either.

Last edited:
Yes sceptism accepted :) however, I am definitely seeing changes and nothing has changed bar the addition of Seafoam. Can't remember how much was required for the oil but my calcs set it to a very small amount indeed. It has taken about 400kms to see these changes and I am hopeful that this will mean the EGR will not need replacing as suggested.

A quick update, the fault codes including one for EGR that had been there for a year did disappear for the first time since they appeared but ended up returning. I added seafoam to a second tank and the one thing I do notice is that the run on after turning the engine off which resulted in severe engine shudder seems to have greatly diminished. Fault codes are persisting :)

What are the fault codes

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

There are three fault codes, one is egr specific, one is generic but I know from Peugeot service checking that it is a failed glow plug on cyl 3 and the last is generic powertrain and I think associated with the egr fault. Anyway, here's an update. I've just started my third full tank with seafoam so two tanks gone (about 2000km) and the egr fault and other powertrain fault has just gone. Despite clearing faults and retesting the only fault to return is the glow plug. So, it was worth being persistent. The car is running smoother overall, shutdown only has a slight shudder still which is how it used to be and driving cold is without surging etc which it started a few months ago. I'll be adding seafoam at every tank fill I reckon.

There is probably 20 egr specific fault codes you can’t just read the codes and see egr and put stuff in the tank without knowing the exact code is it flow is it regulation is it position or electrical

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
Fix it right the first time

Contrary to popular vote it has however worked. I was always in the belief it was gummed up.