Sand casting unobtainium parts at home.

Anything to do with fastening down a soft top? Nice work.

BTW, I went hunting for my single 4CV window winder washer yesterday, the one you so kindly offered to provide me, and it seems to have reproduced itself in the cupboard! They do this sort of thing! So many thanks, but I'm not in need now. :)

Nope! But it is a French part because this is, erm, a forum for French cars after all.

Okay I'm glad the parts hoard is healthy in the west.

Still trying to work out what post 292 is,but 300 old handle is red so must be emergency brake handle from fire truck..haha..I dunno..just a handle for..?.jim

Still trying to work out what post 292 is,but 300 old handle is red so must be emergency brake handle from fire truck..haha..I dunno..just a handle for..?.jim
Home brew tap?😁

20230528_150802.jpg

Well dah! Of course it's a handle, perhaps for something like a hand brake maybe. Mine was missing.
I thought you were all car guys. :cry:

Die casting without the die.

I've tried many different ways to make these little takas, they are only 16mm at the widest point. True I now have to linish and polish them but for a one-off this will do it. I tried machining them from solid billet; fail. I tried lost wax casting; fail. This die was made from resin bonded sand and I heated it to about 100 degrees before I poured in the alloy to avoid cold shutting.

IMG_6412.JPG

IMG_6397.JPG

I tried lost wax casting; fail.
I’m assuming you don’t have a spin casting machine?
I wonder if my retired casting engineer friend still has the machine he built stored in his garage. 🤔 (The commissioning client never paid the bill.)

Hell no. I don't have any fancy casting gear here, just home made bits and bobs. I've run out of things to make anyway so it might be time to close up shop and throw it all to the tip. :unsure:

You’re right. Pushing bezels is tedious.
I should go find something to melt down and hit with a hammer instead, that’s much more fun.
DA9E264D-71DA-46E4-B7B2-0750BA5DE21D.jpeg

Hell no. I don't have any fancy casting gear here, just home made bits and bobs. I've run out of things to make anyway so it might be time to close up shop and throw it all to the tip. :unsure:
Graham no fancy gear required, just knock up some centrifugal casting rigs like these :rolleyes: just some ideas ! jaahn
I guess that is a Tandoori oven for melting.

There might be a few more cannon barrels around if BRS has to give back his VC
Interesting week Andrew!! Yes. They are worth an absolute fortune on the collectors' market too - have you seen the top floor of the Imperial War Museum?

Hmm, I think I need a couple of these. I know they can be bought in pressed metal from a hot rod shop but this Robri original would be cast alloy. Does anyone know how wide they are..? 4 inch perhaps?

They can also be bought in Europe for 43 euro plus 40 euro postage plus freekin 10% GST. I think I'll make one.

Screenshot 2023-06-04 233307.png

Last edited: