S1 205GTi gets beaten by a Falcon

Higher CR means greater effeciency. That's why diesels are approx. twice as effecient as petrol motors.

Luca:

If you look at the 8v eng. and the way the induction is set up is all wrong for Australia. The design idea behind having the air box above the exhaust manifold was to get some warmth into the freezing air that they experiance in Europe. Here there's no need for that so a great gain is to get the thing breathing properly and do a cold air modification on it. The second suggestion I can offer is keeping in line with the topic is cutting the cat out ($50) and this finishes of the breathing problem and allows the motor to flow air more freely. The next logical this to do would be to pull the head off and get it on a flow bench, but this is moving away from the basic word in the original post
Pre Heating of air is only required for carby engines to prevent icing up in the venturies.
With EFI engines, its basically a case of the colder the better...

Diesel engines have the glow plugs to promote the fogging of the diesel mixture. This in turn helps to promote the detonation.

I am speculating that the warm fuel would fog better regardless if it is the diesel or petrol.

Peter re: the inlet length for the tuned eng. question as posted above. I played around with the length on mine made it 50 cm from butterfly to pod filter. I measured the 306 as well and the was more like 90 cm. The longer it is the harder it is for the eng. to suck on.

I devised a simple experiment to prove this:
if you get the neighbours garden hose and try to breathe through it at full length then chop it back to 4 meters and the respiration process is simpler.

two-oh-philic:
[QB]Pug307 (i think) if diesel has a 201 compression ratio then it is more compressed which would mean diesel has a higher detonation limit which means it has a higher octane rating???? That doesn't sound right.[QB]
Diesel engines are different to petrol and the equivalent of octane for diesel is cetane.

One of the reasons that diesels last so long is that they are so solidly constructed to handle such high compression ratios and operate at lower revs.

pugjet:
ey guys,

dunno if they were either asleep, scared to ruin their manicures, wearing skirts and 6 inch pumps neways, its not all bout straight line speed... gimme a peugeot and a bendy road, any day head_ban

pugjet:
ey guys,

dunno if they were either asleep, scared to ruin their manicures, wearing skirts and 6 inch pumps

neways, its not all bout straight line speed... gimme a peugeot and a bendy road, any day head_ban
Would have to aggree entirely with pugjet's last comment. I live in galdesville and i'm only now fully enjoying the fruits of my 205GTi. I have had a 2.4 holden rodeo keep up with me down towards the cop shop in gladesville heading towards the city. Pretty abizmal!! eh??, but only after i'd hit 50 and realised he was racing me. However i've ripped a turbo exa up until around the 100km\h mark and then his turbo power ****ed on me!!...i want a turbo!

Don't worry too much thought, you have to ask yourself the question..."Am i really going as hard as i can"...as the rodeo kept up with me when i was still in the preserve my car mode. this is when you dont quite thump the pedal on the floor....which is the stage that i am at now :)

If you don't thump it to the floor i thouroughly reccommend it, as the 205's little 8v is a very different devil with 85% throttle in comparrision to fully open!!!.

mine will chomp anything soon. I'm also thinking of peterT's head mod to raise the comp. ratio. then a 276 degree cam will be dropped in. along with a 4 to 1 extraction system!!! Fat. Pretty simiar to whoever owns a Greeen 205GTi! classic...8/30 to be exact. Being serviced by paul in gladesville!!! sick bloke. very entused with peugeot's

ohh-heh,

you should really come with chris (XQ) and myself to the next wakefield day. It puts the rodeo racing into a new perspective wink

One day maybe even Peter will join us.

Do you think the GTi will become a classic in the years to come like the Fiat 124 sport and the Alfa 105's of the 1970's??

Luca:

I devised a simple experiment to prove this:
if you get the neighbours garden hose and try to breathe through it at full length then chop it back to 4 meters and the respiration process is simpler.
The problem with this experiment is that a human can't suck hard or long enough to experience inertial ramming. Lucky you can't otherwise you're lungs might burst with the extra air being rammed in.

Basically at high revs, it's easier for an engine to breath through a short pipe as you said, but at lower revs the inertial and acoustic ramming effects of a long induction tract pay off.

Dave

They are rear wheel drive yes but does that make a car a classic, is it the chrome parts, the shape that still looks quite moddern and does the 205 have this potential?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I think the 205 is already a classic, the first of the hot hatch.

In the UK where a 5 year old car is a "rusty old car", the 205 GTI has been considered a classic for a long while. Anyone who reads the British classic car mags would know this.

Dave

And if the 205 is a "Peugeot classic" (sorry Ray majority rules) has Peugeot made any others? Will it become the Lancia Monte Carlo of the Peugeot stable of stalions?

You really should avoid racing on public roads...

It's illegal for a start, and it leads to dangerous situations.

For my money, I'd simply prefer to drive right away from anyone who wants to race.

Originally posted by Luca
<strong>Where'd this racing on the roads thing come from??? :confused:
There's the very basis of the thread... "205 gets beaten by..."

And then there's this post:

Originally from the keyboard of ooh-heh
I have had a 2.4 holden rodeo keep up with me down towards the cop shop in gladesville heading towards the city. Pretty abizmal!! eh??, but only after I'd hit 50 and realised he was racing me. However I've ripped a turbo exa up until around the 100km\h mark and then his turbo power ****ed on me!!... I want a turbo!

Don't worry too much thought, you have to ask yourself the question... "Am I really going as hard as I can"...as the rodeo kept up with me when I was still in the preserve my car mode. this is when you dont quite thump the pedal on the floor... which is the stage that I am at now.
Does that make it clear?

AAAhhhhh... from page 1. Gotcha...

It happens all the time Ray and movies like 2 Fast 2 Furious promote street dragging etc.. I guess it's the love of American culture that's infesting society.