RS Clio - MY4 Off the road!

MY 4

Fellow Frogger
Hey Guys,

Thought I should let you know my recent problems with the Clio...!

Would you believe it? It's barely a year old & i'm having some real problems, weird!?

Anyhow, i'm driving along & as i go to change gears from 1st to 2nd, it makes a harsh grinding sound. I think, oooh didn't change that one to well - but it wasn't my gear change at all - the gear refused to connect! So now i can't use the 2nd gear!! Crazy huh? So i'll be talking to Renault this afternoon to get things looked at.

My friend tells me it may be the "syncro-mesh" (spelling?) Any thoughts from you guys?

Sounds like the synchromesh. Try double declutching (clutch in, shift to neutral, clutch out, clutch in, rev a bit, in gear, clutch out) until you can get back to Clio, that should ease the load on the synchromesh in the interim.

In any case it sounds like the car will be off the road for a while. Let us know how it goes, as I'm considering the RS Clio if I get this new job :D

Hello Lincoln.com.au!

Thanks for your comments buddy. Sounds to me that the "syncromesh" conclusion would be on the mark.

Will be dropping the car off this arvo (i haven't been driving it since the incident).

Hopefully this isn't a common fault in Renaults, and shouldn't affect your decision on car buying in the near future!!

Would you say it's my driving style which could possibly cause the problem? (not that i'll mention this to Renault, of course!) I do give it a bit, but then again - aren't they designed for that very thing?????

Apparently they do have some sort of onboard computer/chip that tells them how you drive the car, stats, & possibly nude pictures of shannanigans one may have in the back seat of a clio? wink Is this true (or at least the first half of my question, before i got silly!)??

Funny Dave :)

I've got that CD for you, are you working tomorrow? I could drop it around your work if you like.

Anyway, I would expect a car of that power would have a strong clutch. Unless you're riding the clutch a lot, or dumping the clutch at high revs, then something like this really shouldn't happen. I'd be interested as to what Renault say caused it.

I haven't been in the car with you to see how hard you are on the clutch. But judging by your poor form losing to a 306 XSi with 3 person aboard, I would say you're not being too brutal on it wink or you're riding it so much, which would explain your poor start :)

<small>[ 07 April 2003, 03:09 PM: Message edited by: GTI124 ]</small>

Deka did it....

Waaaahahahaaheeee

:D

I've seen that you can upshift without too much problem without the clutch.

Contingent on the health of the syncros that is :)

Hahahahaha!

Alright, children BEHAVE! Lincoln, my alarm is not stupid!! is it? Ok, it may have played up on me - but still...!

yes - i will be at work all day tomorrow until 3pm.

took the car to renault, he's talking about the connector/linking or something. so he doesn't think its the syncro - as the syncro would still alow me to get into the 2nd gear - just with an almighty crunch! So he thinks the alignment may be off, it may have shifted. or something?!

Soon find out.

will keep you posted!

One of the work mates reported a problem to me that was of the similar nature to what you are describing. He had a 306Rallye 2000 model. Few months after a purchse the selection of the 2nd(?) gear became troublesome then impossible. Apparently a spring something fell out according to the Pug dealer.

Must be made in the same factory. wink

I'll ignore what's being said about me :p

My 306XSi is a bit more difficult to get into second when shifting from 3rd than the XR was... but then this car it's heaps easier to get into reverse than the XR was.

I dunno!

Derek.

So - you'll ignore it, because it MAY be true eh Zoolander??? HAHAHA! :)

There is driving hard and DRIVING HARD. I drive a fuego, a model which has a notoriously bad gearbox, yet I have always used the gearbox hard, especially on down changes. It is very important to give the car blip of the throttle when changing gears while braking (ie heel/toeing) if you want the syncros to last...I use the gearbox more than the brakes sometimes, and my box never graunches or baulks..

P.S : I have driven a Clio sport on a few ocasions and found the 1st to 2nd syncro a little bit slow (much like the fuego). If you MAKE it change gears fast you are asking for trouble..

MY 4:
So - you'll ignore it, because it MAY be true eh Zoolander??? HAHAHA! :)
Nah it's not true, I only drove it 1km or so remember and I think I put my foot down in 1st to hear the pod filter but the rest of it I was stuck in bloody traffic! And I have a witness, Erin.
I am sorry to hear of your Clio troubles though! My sister's Clio is sick as well :(

Derek. aka Zoolander (the cool, suave part, not the doofus bit!)

Dave, both our cars are off-the road aye..
must be a young and foolish thing, coz if you ask the elders, its ALWAYS our fault.
LOL....oops not to loud.
cheers
Xq
ps, my biotch wont start and im in corporate training and haven't had the time to call Esscargo.

Oh dear, next meet up is going to full of Blue Steel or are you going to try Magnum on us?

Deka, what's wrong with your Clio? Are these things fragile or what?

Hahahaha, he'll hit us with Blue Steel Lincoln, you know that Derek shouldn't even be talking about the Magnum. It's no where near ready!

(God thats a cool movie!)

"and then you come in, with all your cool lookin' friends...and and"

MY 4:
Hahahaha, he'll hit us with Blue Steel Lincoln, you know that Derek shouldn't even be talking about the Magnum. It's no where near ready!

(God thats a cool movie!)

"and then you come in, with all your cool lookin' friends...and and"
A little secret guys..... Deka only has 'one' look eek!

All together now "Wake me up before you go go....."

Cheers
Chris

When I think Zoolander I think....immaculate green SM....and how goddam good it looks.

Am I sad or what???

ONE look?!! NO, it can't be! Say it isn't so!

Hahahaa! You guys crack me up!

Gotta love Matilda (Ben Stiller's wife - lucky bugger) though!! MMMM, YUM!

<a href="http://www.zoolander.com/html_site/stills.html" target="_blank">http://www.zoolander.com/html_site/stills.html</a>