Reverse Cycle Air Cond Query - not automotive.

Kids today don’t know what they’re missing.
It’s not a proper holiday without standing around an unpowered campsite trying to repack two tents, cooking gear and luggage for four people into the back of a R16TS.

It’s not a proper holiday without standing around an unpowered campsite trying to repack two tents, cooking gear and luggage for four people into the back of a R16TS.

I'm pretty sure my parents towed a caravan with there R16TS when I was really young

I towed a 15' poptop van with my 1256cc R12 once. It sat on 100km/h on the flat but required gearwork up hills and into a headwind! Never checked the fuel consumption but it was probably double the norm!

I'm pretty sure my parents towed a caravan with there R16TS when I was really young

I'm pretty sure the R16TS didn't have a CVT transmission. :D :D

All above comments re why/why not a caravan are valid, depending on one's circumstances.
In my case the decision to sell the caravan was made last year when the Ford Territory was "written off" and we decided to downsize a little - and although the Koleos lists at 2000kg towing (odd when the equivalent Nissan is 1800kg I think), I don't fancy the idea of towing it over a long distance (with CVT), which unfortunately for us in WA is wherever you want to go, especially if you want to tour the Eastern States.
Over the years, mainly because we were working, the opportunities to do a long caravan tour are minimal when you have to factor in a week each way just to get there.
However, we have been and seen a lot of Australia by flying, hiring a small car and staying in as cheap accommodation as we can find. Helped by the fact that I worked for a regional airline with access to Ansett and then Virgin flights at reduced cost. Have also driven across the country many times, it is much easier when not towing but you still need that 4 days extra each way.
Much as most people pooh-pooh the idea, we have had good success and value with a timeshare group, where we have stayed for a week or two each year in many different areas at reasonable cost for a resort which we wouldn't want to pay full price for.

When I get the caravan (which weighs 1300kg all up, with a tare of 1050kg) ready to roll,we still have the option to keep it for shorter local holidays where I'm sure the Koleos will be OK. But, as noted above, you can cover a lot of cheapish accommodation for $10-15000 if we go ahead and sell it.

Couldn't restore the deep cycle battery (it was 13 years old) and today bought a 100AH Deep Cycle Century from Anaconda for $250 which is the best I could find. Everything costs.

Cheers.

I don't think anyone was commenting on your decision to sell your caravan :) I'm in full agreement. unless your going away for an extended period of time, caravans don't really make sense.

i rolled up to a house to do some work some time ago ,there was a pop top van on the front lawn i asked the guy was he going away in the van ,no he had just sold it , had been away ,he said he would plan a trip look out for a van that was a good price and needed a little love /tidy up .would then go away after he had it how he liked ,on returning home sell it for what it owed him or more ,no dead money sitting around ,not everyone's cup of tea ,but worth considering ,he also said that vans were bringing better money in places like Perth and Darwin ,so he had considered having a holiday on the way sell van at a profit and stay in motels on the way home with the profit .this was some time ago ,so may not apply at the moment .I HAVE HEARD STORIES OF PEOPLE BUYING A NEW VAN, USING IT AND SELLING IT AT A PROFFET ,DEMAND IS SUCH AT THE MOMENT .

The nearest this gets to be being automotive related is that it is installed in my caravan/camper. :)

My Coromal camper/fold-down caravan has a very neat Heater/Air Conditioner installed under a bed with 3 x 65mm ducts to 3 outlets in the van.
It's a nice unit, in my opinion, brand is Truma Climaster, this is the installation & owner's manual if you are interested:

This van is about 16 years old but has had very little use, and been in storage for about 10 years. (Might I add that buying this van is the probably the worst financial decision I have ever made, not because it's a bad unit, but because we just never got the opportunities for extended holidays and various family commitments. I bet I'm not the only person to ever say that about a caravan purchase!). But I am now restoring it to a good saleable condition, and finding that most of the built in units are working OK which is a bonus.

OK, my query is with the reverse cycle unit as above. It is only designed to work when connected to 240v AC, not 12v or gas. Now when I first checked it last week, I concluded that the fan was working (blowing good air) but the compressor/gas system had failed/leaked, because it was not cooling - I had a thermometer at an outlet as one does in a motor vehicle, expecting it to drop to under 5°C, but nothing after 15 minutes or so. Same with switch set to Heating - just cool air.
THEN I READ THE OWNERS MANUAL!! (What?, I hear you say :mallet:)

Interesting - (a) the air conditioner will not operate below 20°C, and (b) the heater will not operate below 4°C (which is when you would really need it - but fortunately in our climate - not often).

As it was probably about 15°C when I was testing the air cond - I may have concluded incorrectly.
So I tried the heater again and after about 10 minutes I did note a slight warmish air at the outlets, so I left the van closed up for an hour with the heater running - and voila - 26°C in van with 18°C ambient - that took me by surprise - so the heater is working fine, it's just a small unit (1.9kw heating) and took a while to heat up the room.

I finally get to the question of the day, for the knowledgeable among you.
It's a reverse cycle unit, so if the heater system works, am I to presume that the air cond should also work when the ambient is in a range that it will operate (ie, over 20°C)? As far as I can see, the same compressor works as a heat pump or an air cooler, so I am hoping that it will.

Hoping for a 22/23° run over the next few days so I will give it a go, but it might be a while before we get an actual "hot"day.

Obviously if the air conditioner/heater works, and I have already confirmed the 3-way fridge works well at least on 240vAC, then it bodes well for a good price when I sell the van hopefully in the next few months, and less expensive repairs.

And hey, I don't need any comments on the fact that a camper has an aircondioner!

Cheers.
I suspect your AC works in cooling too, as others have concluded before me. Guessing your indoor setpoint is around 20deg, so your AC won’t come in until temp is north of that number (say 21/22 as there is a deadband for control purposes.)
As a side note, it is unlikely for the air coming out of the vents to be as low as 5deg -ish. I’d expect something around 10degC, no need to worry if you are not at 5deg!

Hmm we did similar things back in the day. I remember having a Subaru hatchback about a 1975 model. When we left the first site the missus decided to pack it properly so it all fitted in well. She spread it all out in heaps and tried various combinations. An old couple were watching from their tent while I amused the 3 kids. When she was finished they came over and said they never thought she would get it all in that little car, but she did ! :rolleyes: The boot was very square and deep.
My wife, when watching the news about disasters and problems, often says, those people never went camping when they were young. It teaches you skills for making do, improvising and enjoying nature. :giggle: No phone or internet to waste time on then.
Jaahn
Ours was white not that green !
1662161967382.png