Renaulution

Maybe they are..

New Renault 5 electric car on sale by 2025 | Carbuyer

Quote [Renault has announced plans to create a new version of the classic Renault 5 hatchback. Unlike the 1980s original, the new Renault 5 will be sold as an electric car, rivalling cars like the Honda e and MINI Electric.

A confirmed price is a long way off but Renault boss Luca de Meo has promised an affordable starting point. It should undercut the cars mentioned above, and may come in at under £20,000, like the entry-level electric Fiat 500.] End quote

Remains to be seen if pricing will make it attractive for our market, City greenies should adopt it if the price is right landed in Australia.

Ken
Almost all Australians live in cities and leave them rarely. So I can't accept the majority of scare arguments against EVs. Especially when they are trending towards 400 km range or more.

I'd buy one tomorrow but for capital cost. The all-electric Kangoo costs $56,000. A "normal" Kangoo costs $26,500. A Nissan Leaf costs $53,000. A secondhand Scenic costs $5,000. Apart from feeling good and being ahead of the inevitable, there is absolutely no reason I'll be buying an EV any time soon, unfortunately. It would cost me a fortune. It would cost anyone a fortune, and that's the lower cost end of the market. Assuming the approximate loss in value of about 50% in the first three years, the Kangoo EV would cost me nearly $9,000 per year for the privilege plus the forgone income on an investment of $56,000!!! Mind you, any new car would cost me $5,000+ per year in depreciation.

And, for 5,000-10,000 km/year, the fuel savings really aren't that much.

Hmm.

By 2025 Stellantis will be a major maker of electric cars with half the major PSA diesel plant turning out electric motors. Will Renault have the investment strategy to match?

By 2025 Stellantis will be a major maker of electric cars with half the major PSA diesel plant turning out electric motors. Will Renault have the investment strategy to match?
They started well under Carlos Ghosn some years back. The question NOW is a good one!