Renaulution

Too modern to like, front and back are ugly............

Isn’t the Clio already an updated R5 ?

Nah, wrong shape. The Minis was a little box icon, the R5 was one too. Hopefully Renault would do a better job of styling a new R5 than BMW did with the Mini......................

The first part of the program over the next two years is to restore profitability by firing workers, reducing production and concentrating on high profit models. This has to work for the other parts of the program to succeed. This is a dangerous strategy that runs the risk of a downward spiral.

The first part of the program over the next two years is to restore profitability by firing workers, reducing production and concentrating on high profit models. This has to work for the other parts of the program to succeed. This is a dangerous strategy that runs the risk of a downward spiral.
I agree Russell, not a path I would willingly take. But what do I know about big business or Renault's situation.

Making high profit models is surely the ambition of every manufacturer, whatever it is that they make. Most manufacturers will try to sell into market areas that provide high sales but not necessarily high profit margins, whilst others operate on the reverse principal, making their products so exclusive that few can afford them but they hopefully provide enough profit to compensate for their low volumes.

The rise and rise of the SUV and the 4X4 crew cab indicate that all the buying publics' taste is in their mouths, but any manufacturer who ignores the world-wide trend is likely to find their market much reduced. It no longer takes years of gestation to give birth to new model platforms and the manufacturers who can keep up with the trends are the ones that will be successful. A manufacturer here and there may strike it lucky with a best seller that is not an SUV or a 4X4 crew cab, but if what they make isn't what the customer wants, that's when the downward spiral commences.

Peugeot was in real trouble a few years ago but turned the business around without downsizing. So many car companies have failed in the past and more will in the future. The stakes are high here - failure will mean the break up of the Renault Alliance and possible sale to Peugeot. Renault is not broke, it has high liquidity and a government guaranteed loan. The French Government has committed to survival of the French car industry. I suspect Ghosn would have adopted a more aggressive strategy.

Nah, wrong shape. The Minis was a little box icon, the R5 was one too. Hopefully Renault would do a better job of styling a new R5 than BMW did with the Mini......................
I marvel that they can sell, so successfully, a car with a wheelbase like a series 1 Range Rover and call it a Mini. Renault needs to learn about marketing......
Making high profit models is surely the ambition of every manufacturer, whatever it is that they make. Most manufacturers will try to sell into market areas that provide high sales but not necessarily high profit margins, whilst others operate on the reverse principal, making their products so exclusive that few can afford them but they hopefully provide enough profit to compensate for their low volumes.

The rise and rise of the SUV and the 4X4 crew cab indicate that all the buying publics' taste is in their mouths, but any manufacturer who ignores the world-wide trend is likely to find their market much reduced. It no longer takes years of gestation to give birth to new model platforms and the manufacturers who can keep up with the trends are the ones that will be successful. A manufacturer here and there may strike it lucky with a best seller that is not an SUV or a 4X4 crew cab, but if what they make isn't what the customer wants, that's when the downward spiral commences.
Agree but it isn't an ambition but a necessity.

Lada is the loser in this being lumped in with Dacia. Ominous talk of a new Niva based on a Renault platform. Lada four wheel drive technology is far more advanced and robust than that of Renault and it would be sad to see. Merging many makes into massive conglomerates destroys technological innovation and difference. Once cars from different countries were quite different and reflected the environment they came from. Now they are international and bland. The same happens with tractors.

Lada is the loser in this being lumped in with Dacia. Ominous talk of a new Niva based on a Renault platform. Lada four wheel drive technology is far more advanced and robust than that of Renault and it would be sad to see. Merging many makes into massive conglomerates destroys technological innovation and difference. Once cars from different countries were quite different and reflected the environment they came from. Now they are international and bland. The same happens with tractors.
As are the Lada customers, I'd add. If everything you make has to be a world car, this is what you get I guess.

For Renault, I reckon it started with the R12. (Lights blue touch paper and stands back....)

I have a catalogue for the 1951 Melbourne International Motor Show. What a varied collection was on show there. They were even taking orders for the Tatraplan but the Rovin hadn't turned up. So many different approaches to motoring.

Why not just bring back an (updated) R5?
Maybe they are..

New Renault 5 electric car on sale by 2025 | Carbuyer

Quote [Renault has announced plans to create a new version of the classic Renault 5 hatchback. Unlike the 1980s original, the new Renault 5 will be sold as an electric car, rivalling cars like the Honda e and MINI Electric.

A confirmed price is a long way off but Renault boss Luca de Meo has promised an affordable starting point. It should undercut the cars mentioned above, and may come in at under £20,000, like the entry-level electric Fiat 500.] End quote

Remains to be seen if pricing will make it attractive for our market, City greenies should adopt it if the price is right landed in Australia.

Ken

But to get to the stage of the new models Renault must pass the difficult test of the next two years of increasing profitability while at the same time reducing production. It should be noted the new Peugeot grouping with the Greek shipping company name is also talking about reducing production. If the French are losing market share who is winning it?

I have worked in a few institutions where the CEO or owner ,a Carlos by any name, has run a company so slickly that it keeps trading year after year and turns a profit and everyone keeps their job and everyone gets paid.
Then, by death or from an offer too good to refuse, a new owner comes in guns blazing, and ignores all the systems and 'ways' the previous Carlos had in place, and then starts fiddling with stuff thinking any of it will stop the ship from sinking.
I feel like I'm looking at that scenario after reading this thread.
Having said all that, I like the new R5 electric.

Jo

I can't help thinking the Renault strategy of two years of cost cutting and selling higher price models before the next stage which is the exciting new models is a timid strategy that puts the future of the company at risk. Compare to the aggressive way Peugeot is running Stellantis, investments in new models, new managements, plans to increase output in flagging brands and a return to the American market. The French government is committed to support the car industry, government loans are available, use them. The policy of increasing unit profit by selling more expensive models was tried in Australia last year by Inchcape. Called premiumisation. Only effect was to speed up the decline in sales. If this cost cutting strategy fails then Renault will be the next acquisition of Stellantis.