Renault tractor

Re transport, would it fit on a flatbed? Check in with Clark motorsport, they have connections down in Victoria and they enjoy the random gigs :p

These vehicles will be a good project in the future.

Thanks to all those who helped me in my search.
The bad news is that I was out bid, the good news is that they did not go to scrap.
That's it for me and Renault Tractors.
Good luck to whoever acquired them.
The freight cost to bring three tractors to Sydney was the killer for me.

Ah sorry to hear, we’ll have to find you something as exotic local.

Being losing bidder is an occupational hazard of auction-going.

I was pleased the Australian tractors made reasonable money.

I will keep looking for you.

Roger

Tractors have a certain minimal value given the weight of metal scrap in them. Restoration costs are huge and those tractors would have been a sink for money. A MF 35 diesel can be bought for around $4000, perhaps that or a small Inter, FIAT or Zetor would do the job as well as provide restoration interest. Or a 1970's Renault of which there are a few survivors about but rarely in good order.

Scrap metal value is $500 each and I was aware there were bids in from scrap dealers for $500 and no more. The best deal I could get freight pickup/delivery was $3500 therefore I was prepared to go to $600 to save them. They went for $700 however, the way the online system worked, the roughest one was up to $900 when I dropped out.

If I lived closer to the Auction and freight was not involved, it would have been different

Allis Chalmers had a small presence in Australia in the 1970's with major emphasis on their above 100hp models but in 1977 they did list a smaller 175 that had a Perkins four cylinder diesel that gave 62 hp at the PTO. Nebraska Test 1043. There is no Australian listing in Power Farming for smaller Allis Chalmers.

Remember your diesel tractors are invaluable in this fire season. A back blade, or a front end loader and bucket, perhaps a set of discs, all will allow you to alter the odds in your favour if the worst happens. Even a few passes around your property will give you something to work off. But only if it's safe and never in the face of the fire front.

Nice little 1961 Porsche tractor in excellent condition sold in Gippsland. Fierce bidding, made over 15k. Probably only one in Australia.

One on FB Marketplace

I’ve sent Chris a text message alerting him to this but he’s not on Facebook so contacting seller may be an issue - also a fair bit over the price he quoted but this one runs and has good tyres (according to the ad) so could be an easy restore. Also looks like the engine has been done up recentl.

Doing up tractors is not a cheap business, those back tyres will probably be around $1000 each.

Thanks for the continued interest however the tractor project is not on my current schedule.

The Tractor project was just something to toy with while COVID related supply problems stopped work on the other stuff.

A few locals in my area have various restored tractors from the 1950's, I would love to stir them up with something Renault. Anyone seen anything like this, in need of rescue, sitting in a shed in Aus? I have found everything from Massey Ferguson to Porsche tractors but no Renault.
View attachment 123329
Interesting that it took 2 years to find one. A bit late now for me to take this project on. Thanks for your text Kevin. I will watch with great interest and anticipation to see the tractor restoration project on AF.

Tractors are a different sort of machine to work on. Logically designed but large and heavy parts. Tyres are increasingly expensive, $2500 each for our big Zetor 12045. That tractor has a lovely 120 hp six cylinder 7 litre diesel with 6cm of metal between the bores but 7 tonnes of tractor is big and heavy to work on. My 6745 I've had since 1976 was once considered large and is now "the little tractor" but is getting old and I may restore it. Raked the hay with it and enjoyed working out in the open again. Old tractors are interesting but the new Deutz with the heated and aircon cab is nice.

if you want something rare it does take time to find.

Like Russell, I find if I want to get serious work done I go for the modern tractor with all the comfort features. But it is fun to get out an older tractor for little jobs occasionally. I rolled a couple of paddocks with the 1957 John Deere 720 a while back. They seem to like being used.

Roger