Renault to boost reliability

Pug307

Sense
Fellow Frogger
Looks like Renault is waking up to reliability concerns, especially electrical ones. They're going to turn to Nissan for some expertise - the new ones seem fine, but I have to say, some of the old ones seemed Lada league. Still, any moves to improve quality and durability are great in my view.

Renault wants its cars to meet a 300,000km life - most of the cars already meet this, but some don't.

In the recent JD Power survey of customer satisfaction, every Renault model finished in the bottom half of the table. The Espace was fifth from bottom overall, out of 138 models surveyed.

Visit the article <a href="http://www.whatcar.com/default.asp?a=news&b=story&makeref=33&modelref=&cat=2&article=1931" target="_blank">here</a> .

I guess this isn't much consolation to Dave. Wonder if the Clio Sport will make it to 300k :)

At least they're on to a good start.

A pity Peugeot hasn't sought divine intervention for its muxing :) Only just read a story about a few 307s catching fire in the UK, and they won't be smiling at the JD power results.

Still, the millionth rolled off the line recently.

Cheers,

Justin

I dunnno about all of the above. I don't think that Renault has ever been brilliant at after sales service outside of France, or at least the standards have been erratic in other markets.

The quality of the product is not the sole determinant of after sales satisfaction.

dance

any electrical woes Ive had on Renaults have been down to basic stuff like dodgy connections - stuff that will affect any car.

I'm sure that plays a part in those woeful results as well. JD Power surveys account for various factors, including the actual car's performance, running costs, etc - I'd argue the reliability of a product has a pretty strong influence here. If you have a reliable car, you don't need to test customer service as often.

Frankly customer service in the UK seems pretty hopeless on a whole compared to that of other countries. I get the impression that head offices don't care that much either, from what I can gather since running the 307 website.

However, even when you look at pure reliability surveys, Renault's never a front runner. Citroen's shocking though, last reliability survey I read placed it near last.

Anyway, I think this is a good move - if Renault wants to move upmarket, they have to get this part right.

Haakon:
any electrical woes Ive had on Renaults have been down to basic stuff like dodgy connections - stuff that will affect any car.
That's the point, though. Cars with reliable electrics have better connectors, even to the extent nowadays of having o-ringed and silicone greased major connectors for critical junctions like ECU's and exposed sockets.

Stuey

I must say, I'm actually pretty impressed at how well the R25 electricals have stood the test of time. Sure, there are a few gremlins - but nothing that will leave you stranded on the side of the road.

Some of the horror stories I've heard about early Citroen XM's make my 87 R25 look OK. I believe the Citroen problems had a lot to do with oxidising electrical contacts. Considering that many of the electrical features in the R25 were first attempts (voice computer, trip computer, integrated radio unit) they didn't do too badly.

Stuey
Cars with reliable electrics have better connectors, even to the extent nowadays of having o-ringed and silicone greased major connectors for critical junctions like ECU's and exposed sockets.

Stuey[/QB]
Such as found on my R25, apparently a car with bad rep. for electrical reliability and a car which has behaved perfectly for me. And its not exactly rocket science to give plugs a quick spray of contact cleaner.

One of the Peugeot techs on the newsgroups says that these multiplexed Pugs will be interesting in a few years as apparently Peugeot uses cheap connectors - hope not, I've had a good dose of what they're capable.

Some of you might be interested in this <a href="http://www.whatcar.com/default.asp?a=news&b=story&makeref=&modelref=&cat=2&article=345" target="_blank">What Car Reliability Survey</a>.

Cheers,

Justin

Upon looking at my new C3 i noticed most of the connectors were actually sagem.This is a french electronics firm that have a hand in nearly everything now, including mobile phones too.(i have one its great).
France is a very nationistic country therefore supports its own industries.
If electrics are faulty it is because they are french.
I guess the morel to the story is if you dont dont like french electrics dont buy a french car.Simple as that.(no offence).

I have been passionately involved with Renaults for the pas 40 years.

They are absolutely brilliant engineers. In fact I understand that Louis Renault was one of the forerunners in inventing the modern gearbox.

Sadly to say in those 40 years, it is my personal experience and that of many of my friends, that the French generally are b**** horrible electricians. Had one friend with a 403 Pug and the only way he could get the horn to blow, was to depress the clutch! Now work that one out, as the horn button was connected to a switch at the bottom of the steering column.

I also had a Dauphine with a Ferlec clutch. Great idea, but there was nobody in this half of the galaxy that could get it to go up hills. I took that clutch out and put in a normal one.

Just another interesting point. At the Army museum at Singleton (NSW) they have a sub-machine gun that was designed by a committee of Frenchmen. It holds the record for being the most discarded weapon in the history of warfare. 160 000 of them were thrown away in the first 6 months if issue - because they wouldn't work.

I also gather that in many of the French colonies in Asia, none of the domestic electrical systems they put in were earthed. No earth wires - a great way to control population growth!

Come on guys you are not telling me that Gaston and his mates are worse auto electricians
than the Poms....you have to be joking.

I'm not saying that any Renault I have owned has been free of problems, but compared to mates with Rovers of any description, minis and MG's I have had a dream run.

mallet

We have also built our own share of dodgy military equipment...unfortunately we just can't afford to throw those subs away at the moment.

Then there is the M16...famous for jamming at the wrong moments...the F111...bit of a problem with the wings to start with....and don't forget the Nomad with the optional self deataching tail assembly.

I don't reckon the French are any worse in this regard than anyone else, besides which it doesn't have a lot to do with whether the electrics in your Clio are going to self destruct.

mallet

According to Germany's ADAC (their equivalent of the AA), the Renault Megane was the worst performing in its class for breakdowns, and out of all models considered (min. 10,000 units per year). 46.2 breakdowns per 1000 cars.

I think there is a problem, perhaps this is the Renault that can't make 300,000km?

Pug307
[QB]According to Germany's ADAC (their equivalent of the AA), the Renault Megane was the worst performing in its class for breakdowns, and out of all models considered (min. 10,000 units per year). 46.2 breakdowns per 1000 cars.

QB]
ie: 4.62%

cheers!

British auto-electrics and French auto-electrics. It has been my experience (although not in recent years) that the Poms have an annoying excess of earth wires, where the French make you look for weeks just to find one!

Most of the military items mentioned are not really Australian 'invented'. However it seems that we have blindly followed foreign specs.

Pug307:

I guess this isn't much consolation to Dave. Wonder if the Clio Sport will make it to 300k :)
Hey Guys! Well this is an interesting point. But the good news (for me) is: that considering the car is leased, i definately will not have the car in my possession at such a time! It'll most likely be out of my hands within the next 2-3 years.

they won't be smiling at the JD power results.
This is a rather freaky coincidence - the name of this 'JD Power results'....because my name is David John Power DJ Power

Oooooooh...interesting.

whistle

BYE!

MY 4:
It'll most likely be out of my hands within the next 2-3 years.
I Might add that by this time i endeavour to own either the V6 clio, OR a Nissan 350Z Roadster!

- Went for a test-drive in the 350Z - Track edition (with GPS Nav, Mustard interior & silver paint...OHHHhhh)!! IT'S SUCH AN AWESOME CAR! Every single part of this car is EASY to use...it's not like sitting in a complicated pilots seat, clustered with instruments. it has the essentials for DRIVING, and a wicked Bose sound system.

Gotta love it...in a few years i'm hoping the dream may be a reality.

Weeeee! evil

BogMaster:
Come on guys you are not telling me that Gaston and his mates are worse auto electricians
than the Poms....you have to be joking.

I'm not saying that any Renault I have owned has been free of problems, but compared to mates with Rovers of any description, minis and MG's I have had a dream run.

mallet
Maybe I've just been lucky, but apart from the odd voltage reglator, blown globes and oxidised connections (simply due to age and easily fixed), I've no probs with electrics in the 10 french and 4 british cars I've had over the years. I would rate the Rovers (early P6 - not the bloody awful SD1 which is not a Rover, but a Leyland/Triumph hybrid) I had as one of the best built cars ever made. The electrics in particular were great, as like the rest of the car, it was all over engineered, straight forward and tough.