Renault Scenic RX4 5th Gear disengaged

Drops down to 2,500 @100klm.
RX4 found it as an overdrive .

Didn't you have a shed full of Scenics?
Looking for a 2WD to fix up.

Geez, so its going to have pretty long legs??

mine are all RX4s. One has a 5th gear loose, another is a gearbox of bits (cant even get it into neutral)

I have 2 fairly low km privilege models.

my daily really needs new selector bushes and is getting up in the kms.. 285k

Long legs for sure but it is better than dead.

I will send you the links to parts i found last night.
And a youtube video of the repair.
The vid explains perfectly was the strife occurs.

If you come across a 2WD let me know?
On my way to the doctor's now.

Long legs for sure but it is better than dead.

I will send you the links to parts i found last night.
And a youtube video of the repair.
The vid explains perfectly was the strife occurs.

If you come across a 2WD let me know?
On my way to the doctor's now.

Sorry no 2WD scenics. The only 2WD scenic I have is an RX4 with 5th fallen off :(
I have a feeling they have all come to Tasmania to die. I still see a few on the road down here.

My siblings have both had grand scenics, bit of an orphan in AU but there are a few about, would be good to save one if any are about, I know they were hard to find spares vehicles in AU. Pretty sure my sister still has hers.

*gear lever lower bush
eBay item number:
*gearbox rod kit.
eBay item number:

How to replace a lever selector / gear linkage on your Renault.​

A circlip locates the ball-end bush in the gearbox casing, if this is missing the system is very sloppy.
Maybe the Reverse and 5 th not selecting properly.

Attachments

• gear bush.jpg
    gear bush.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
*gear lever lower bush
eBay item number:
*gearbox rod kit.
eBay item number:

How to replace a lever selector / gear linkage on your Renault.​

A circlip locates the ball-end bush in the gearbox casing, if this is missing the system is very sloppy.
Maybe the Reverse and 5 th not selecting properly.

yea mine is very sloppy, doesn't look too hard.

if you are not getting into reverse and 5th likely clutch issues too?
mine isn't that bad yet.. better get onto the old girl.

Dacia. Thanks for your advice. I have contacted the Renault place where I have had the car serviced over many years (the complex servicing stuff!) and am going there Monday with the two spring bits and photos. They have been very helpful and I will let you know how I go.
Kind regards, Peter
Good luck Peter. Seems a common issue with older ones. Good time to check very carefully the inner drive shaft boots btw.

Joining the club of RX4 5th gear troubles. a couple of teeth have broken so I'm trying to remove the secondary gear. How is it done after removing the Torx bolt? do I need a special puller with really thin fingers to get behind the gear? Waz

PS: I'm not experienced inside gearboxes. I have 2 spare RX4s, one with a cracked gearbox, the other with a 1st gear loud knock that I'm hoping to salvage 5th gear(s) from.

Hopeall goes well for you. Got to love people that are prepared to work on gearboxes. I have tackled the Renault 4139 auto box, and will do it again soon as my home made shim only lasted 5000 kilometres. But this time I have several spare boxes to get the shims out of.

PS: I'm not experienced inside gearboxes. I have 2 spare RX4s, one with a cracked gearbox, the other with a 1st gear loud knock that I'm hoping to salvage 5th gear(s) from.
Hi, I don't have any specific advice but welcome!

Its good to have another RX4 tragic (ahem) I mean owner.

I run a couple of RX4s and more spares cars here in TAS. My current daily driver is a little rattly but at 27k 5th gear still going strong (touch wood)

My daughter soon putting her Megane soft top PH1 which shares a lot of parts.

I'm interested in how you go, can you take some photos for me?

the gear slid off easily from one of the wrecks. Back on good one I found some sort of thread-locker had been used, so a little careful application of heat and the gear was slowly eased off. I guess it is bad practice to use old gears as replacements but that's what I'm trying. I'll post how it goes and add a couple of pics.

The gearbox was originally designed as a 4 speed back in the 70s, and Renault turned it into a 5 speed be extending the shafts, hence the pressed steel cover covering the extra 5th gear.
Haakon,
is the Renault 19 gearbox related to to the RX4?

I was driving home from Phillip Island this afternoon when trying to engage 5th gear I heard a strange gear grinding noise and could no longer engage 5th gear. Other gears are ok. Any ideas?
Hello Peter, I have encountered a similar problem with my 2001 RX4 is there a a chance you can share your RX4 mechanic, this problem is beyond me. Thanks in advance.

It is a very easy repair!
Even an idiot can do it.

Dont drive the car if the 5th gear set get chewed up you are stuffed.

AFAIK you can drive it, just don't try putting it in 5th.
unlike the bag of bolts you can end up with the dreaded gearbox seal failure.

you could also simply remove the end gear and run it as a 4 speed.

There's a bolt that holds 5th gear that works loose until its free to get chewed.
Its very easy to access this with the 'end cap' off.

If you are lucky there is minimal damage and its just loose and not aligning its teeth.

I'm sure if you grind it long enough it should quiet down ;)