Renault Scenic RX4 5th Gear disengaged

Peter Parle

Tadpole
Tadpole
I was driving home from Phillip Island this afternoon when trying to engage 5th gear I heard a strange gear grinding noise and could no longer engage 5th gear. Other gears are ok. Any ideas?

I was driving home from Phillip Island this afternoon when trying to engage 5th gear I heard a strange gear grinding noise and could no longer engage 5th gear. Other gears are ok. Any ideas?
ooo sounds most likely like the bolt on the 5th gear has got loose!!
Im told its not a hard fix, one of my (spare) scenics does this and I always forget, and put it in 5th but mine only makes a mildly alarming sound not like its grinding metal.

Thanks Vivid. Does a fix involve removing the gearbox which in my case I would leave to the experts.
Sorry I should probably know this, but my impression was no. I have however not even entertained changing mine yet.

Someone on here could chime in, I know a few people on here have done the job before. Did Renault skimp on loctite?

This page should be useful.

Attachments

• Final Drive.pdf
    160.2 KB · Views: 156
Thanks again Vivid. The Final Drive repair diagrams look impressive but I'm at a loss to know what has become detached in 5th gear to cause the problem. Maybe there are some fellow froggers out there who have tackled this problem and can enlighten me. Just for info the RX4 is a 2001 and has done 345000km without any major mishaps, but I do expect a few things to go wrong I just hope I don't have to retire it any time soon!

Having fixed an RX4 many years ago with fifth gear heavy whining , I would suggest you drain the oil and remove the
5'th gear metal cover. Fairly easy with the car jacked up and the LF wheel removed.
Have a look and let us know what you can feel and see, + some photos.

My understanding is that the metal cover Steve mentions reveals the whole 5th gear.

The gearbox was originally designed as a 4 speed back in the 70s, and Renault turned it into a 5 speed be extending the shafts, hence the pressed steel cover covering the extra 5th gear.

The nut in question is a big ring nut on the end of the primary shaft if memory serves..

Either way, if you caught it early before it tried to self destruct, it’s a pretty easy job to sort without removing the gearbox.

With the steel cover removed, there should be a innocent looking plastic extension sticking out from the main
aluminium housing.
If this is not there or broken, it means the fifth gear would have been starved of oil.

yeah I had one which the male torx headed bolt holding fifth gear on came loose,as halon and stevek say easy fix with steel cover off,but yeah plastic oil feed guide needs to be there….jim

Halon is a gas that takes your breath away......spot on - Just like Haakon...
That’s fun - I have a new variation to add to the list of whacky versions people come up with :)

Thanks vivid, Steve K, Haakon and Dacia 4x4:
I have removed the 5th gear cover and found 2 pieces of metal clip in the base of the cover. I have attached the two pieces of the clip to the bottom part of the photo with Blutack. I think it may have come from the synchro part behind the main gear visible at the front but am not sure. I have added 2 photos of the cover and gears. Any ideas about how to proceed would be much appreciated.
Regards, Peter.

Attachments

• IMG_20220513_115922 (2).jpg
    IMG_20220513_115922 (2).jpg
    467 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_20220510_125244 (2).jpg
    IMG_20220510_125244 (2).jpg
    422.6 KB · Views: 211
hi peter yes that looks like damaged synchro detent spring,there should be two of them one either side of fifth gear to retain those three detent blocks in place.you would have to remove that large nut retaining fifth gear,remove gear and check other side for detent spring/damage.you would have to knock out roll pin from selector fork as well because if you try and pull selector shaft out with fork on you may drop detent lockout ball from in gearbox which would mean gearbox removal and dismantle.I have dismantled one of those gearboxes that was damaged I may have the parts you need but I would have to search in garage.jim

Those three detent blocks are actually three springs and rollers which look missing from no 1photo also you can see the other spring through the gap where detent springs should be.also the bolt holding other gear on looks to have a damaged head.jim

Dacia. Thanks for your advice. I have contacted the Renault place where I have had the car serviced over many years (the complex servicing stuff!) and am going there Monday with the two spring bits and photos. They have been very helpful and I will let you know how I go.
Kind regards, Peter

On the RX4 i found the car noisey on the way back from Canberra, So drove back in 4th gear.
Took the end cover off and found the gear-set "Chewed up" and the retained nut/bolt lose.
I replaced the gears with those from a 2WD gearbox and it was all good.
5th gear is a little too high but it was a solution.

Drops down to 2,500 @100klm.
RX4 found it as an overdrive .

Didn't you have a shed full of Scenics?
Looking for a 2WD to fix up.