Renault Fregate..

Bonus
15 minute credit to use elsewhere :D

Master G, should it be missing some bits, I am sure you can whip them up in no time and amaze us yet again.

GH2

Note it has still got the burn mark on the bonnet from the carby fire. Graham perhaps we could come to some sort of an arrangement. No spare shed space but currently there is plenty of yard space, but we are considering moving. Rob

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• ch1.jpg
    ch1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,416
  • ch2.jpg
    ch2.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 1,497
  • ch3.jpg
    ch3.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,593
  • ch4.jpg
    ch4.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,562
  • ch5.jpg
    ch5.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 1,335
  • ch6.jpg
    ch6.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 1,427
  • ch7.jpg
    ch7.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,354
Last edited:
Excellent photos Graham and they show great details of the interior.

What a cruiser! I can see all the chicks running along behind you in that one MG. A bit like the hysteria when the Beatles were in town ....

Well it's been a long time since any fair lady has thrown herself at my feet....t's mainly fair ladies who have fallen from their walking frames these days...:(

Excellent photos Graham and they show great details of the interior.

Nice, and Transfluide transmission to boot. I saw one in Paris with Jean-Pierre Delaunoy 2-3 years back. Quite stylish and in very nice condition. Only a few made, this one being 114.

On the Chapron plate, this one is 65 bodies ahead of the one shown before.

Renault Fregate Chapron 2 sml.jpgRenault Fregate Chapron sml.jpgP1030262.jpgTransfluide control panel sml.jpgP1030261.jpg

Last edited:
What a cruiser! I can see all the chicks running along behind you in that one MG. A bit like the hysteria when the Beatles were in town ....

You do know that Adelaide had the single largest number of people ever to turn out to see the Beatles anywhere in the world? Always amazes me, presuming my information is correct of course.

I suspect even a Chapron Fregate might struggle to beat that one...

Cheers

Another one, they seem to grow on you don't they...?

Checkout the extended side mirrors.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 88057604_o.jpg
    88057604_o.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 1,423
  • 88057626_o.jpg
    88057626_o.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 1,485
And the Presidential model...

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 57 fregate.jpg
    57 fregate.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,415
  • 57 fregate 1.jpg
    57 fregate 1.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,347
I was the proud owner of a 1956 R1101 Fregate as my first car. It lived around Drouin in Victoria on a farm before I bought it from my uncle for $25.00 in 1970. I kept the car for over 10 years before it was sold through Shannon's in Melbourne so it is likely to be around still, probably more or less as I sold it. The R1101 was a pretty car for its size and mine was light blue (solitaire blue according to Renault) with bright red upholstery. The R1101 had the bigger 2141cc engine, up from just under 2000cc for the R1100. The car was underpowered even for its day but the big drum brakes did a good job and the high top gear meant that she would really move downhill with a tail wind. The car as it aged had some issues. Firstly the differential was hung from the chassis on a steel leaf spring and that broke after a few years so when the clutch was released the differential used to hit the fuel tank. The gear linkage wore so much that the gear stick wobbled everywhere and geat selection became an art. The seals at the bottom of the sleeves used to deteriorate quite quickly and oil used to mix with water in the sump to produce mayonnaise. Road holding was very good and the suspension absorbed the bumps on even the roughest roads. Needless to say I would like my Fregate back and I still have the workshop manual if that ever happens!

I really want this...
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• b018c3c6d1604a8550b007cbf14b4b17.jpg
    b018c3c6d1604a8550b007cbf14b4b17.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 2,249
  • cache_17960984.jpg
    cache_17960984.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 1,434
Well it's all up to you. You know you've got the capability. Although have you tried making wire wheels yet? There is plenty of info. A car up near Gatton. You will need big spanners. Some nuts are 36mm!! Well at least one is. You are a fast worker. Done in 18 months. The car club in France has some spares. Many, like universals etc, are standard sizes. The rubber dough nuts on the drive shafts can be rebuilt, they were standard off the shelf in the day may still be used in industrial equipment. Go for it!!!

Well it's all up to you. You know you've got the capability. Although have you tried making wire wheels yet? There is plenty of info. A car up near Gatton. You will need big spanners. Some nuts are 36mm!! Well at least one is. You are a fast worker. Done in 18 months. The car club in France has some spares. Many, like universals etc, are standard sizes. The rubber dough nuts on the drive shafts can be rebuilt, they were standard off the shelf in the day may still be used in industrial equipment. Go for it!!!

Not even I would be crazy enough to attempt such a thing as making wire spoke wheels, but if I was I'd get the guy at Gatton to roll some new rims, have some centers made up by a machinist and then get them spoked by a motorbike restorer and hey presto, a set of wire wheels. Not that hard really.:)

Not even I would be crazy enough to attempt such a thing as making wire spoke wheels, but if I was I'd get the guy at Gatton to roll some new rims, have some centers made up by a machinist and then get them spoked by a motorbike restorer and hey presto, a set of wire wheels. Not that hard really.:)

:worship::worship::worship:
GH2