Renault 30 tx in Adelaide

What a gorgeous car! Congratulations.

I have owned lots and lots of cars over the years.

the only ones I really miss are the R20, the GS and the P76.

The 20 fitted me like a glove. It was a delightful car. Retired due to rust after 485000+km. Engine, clutch and gearbox never touched. Still immensely comfortable. Beautiful, simply sculptured styling.

I have only ever driven a R20 for a couple of k's on a test drive, and even though the car was no longer in its prime, I remember how absolutely effortlessly it pulled in every gear with just a touch of the throttle. Not sure why, I suppose very torquey engine, and perhaps low gears or both? but I imagine a V6 would make this car a very relaxed and relaxing cruiser.

The car also felt supremely comfortable, with the large armchair style seats with firm support and a comfortable position. On this point, I think it would be better for ageing have beens like us than modern machinnery. I found all of them (Camry, Commodores, Magnas, Falcons) have the seats too low for long distance travel. For my back, anyway. My BMW 2000 (1967) or the R12 were better with their tall seats. Maybe it's a modern design thing.

With so much room in the back and considerable width, relaxed low rev torque, I would hazard a guess it won't break a sweat even fully loaded on a long trip.

Not to mention the huge potential I see functionality-wise for two person camping trips.

Back in the good old, bad old days of the Renault/Volvo tie up the Volvo dealer I worked for was given a new Renault V6 Baccarat ? to sort out. Injection, electrics I've forgotten which. The Renault dealer who was trying to sell the car felt that the new Renault / Volvo dealer should be now taking care of any warranty. Any attempts to sort it out was usually accompanied by the directive. "Don't spend too much time on it". The poor old/new Renault became almost a permanent fixture in the shop.
What I do recall vividly is going to the shop car park to fetch the car inside. It had been raining steadily and when I opened the door I saw water running in through the windscreen seal above the mirror!! Close inspection found damp under the carpets, possibly from when the car was new. It was taken away to be fixed.
The ongoing history had the Renault punted from pillar to post in local sales outlets for a long time.

Very envious indeed!
Prior to the closure of the Renault factory at Heidelberg, Victoria, I drove a company R30 TX from Melbourne to Syd Singleton Motors at Euroa. Syd had purchased the car for his personal use. It was a manual version, whereas another R30 on the company car fleet was an automatic.
In later years, another R30 owned locally near Tamworth required some attention to the carburettor, which I was able to correct, following a strip down and the fitment of new gaskets, seals etc.

In each case, the driving experience of these R30's remains firmly embedded in my mind. Comfortable, effortless cruisers with performance to match, if required.

Cheers,
K

Very envious indeed!
Prior to the closure of the Renault factory at Heidelberg, Victoria, I drove a company R30 TX from Melbourne to Syd Singleton Motors at Euroa. Syd had purchased the car for his personal use. It was a manual version, whereas another R30 on the company car fleet was an automatic.
In later years, another R30 owned locally near Tamworth required some attention to the carburettor, which I was able to correct, following a strip down and the fitment of new gaskets, seals etc.

In each case, the driving experience of these R30's remains firmly embedded in my mind. Comfortable, effortless cruisers with performance to match, if required.

Cheers,
K

It makes one wonder what has happened to those six Renault 30TS that Renault Australia imported for evaluation purposes.

Were the Aussie cars fitted with a carby? The R30 I drove in France had Bosch fuel injection.

Were the Aussie cars fitted with a carby? The R30 I drove in France had Bosch fuel injection.

Yes, the evaluation cars were in 1976, all 30TS with carbs. The K-Jet 30TX was introduced in Europe later on.

Hi Simon,
I think I mistakenly referred to the Heidelberg R30 model as a TX, whereas I think they might have been R30TS? Each had the V6 engine, except for the R30 which was located near Tamworth. This had a 5 speed gearbox, upmarket trim, dual headlights and the larger capacity cross-flow engine etc.

Cheers,
K

How many carby 30s would have been brought into Australia in total?

Renault Australia imported six. Then there are a couple of private imports, at least one Embassy car (c'est mort) and another apparently from Malaysia - but there could also be a few more. Also Adelaide Engine Service used to import used V6 (as well as 5 Alpine and 18 Turbo) motors back in the late 1980's early 1990's as the PRV V6 was popular in the off-road buggy scene.

Renault Australia imported six. Then there are a couple of private imports, at least one Embassy car (c'est mort) and another apparently from Malaysia - but there could also be a few more. Also Adelaide Engine Service used to import used V6 (as well as 5 Alpine and 18 Turbo) motors back in the late 1980's early 1990's as the PRV V6 was popular in the off-road buggy scene.

Thanks Simon, good to know. I have acquired a few R30 bits over the years, as some of them are considered performance parts for their Peugeot counterparts. I guess I must be lucky to have come by them!

Hi Simon,
I think I mistakenly referred to the Heidelberg R30 model as a TX, whereas I think they might have been R30TS? Each had the V6 engine, except for the R30 which was located near Tamworth. This had a 5 speed gearbox, upmarket trim, dual headlights and the larger capacity cross-flow engine etc.

Cheers,
K

I wouldn't doubt if Renault did import a 30TX for "evaluation". I'm probably biased, but I get the impression that pressure was applied by Peugeot for the 604 rather than the 30TS. The first evaluation 30TS was shown at the 1976 Melbourne Motor Show, with positive news on its progress. However by the Sydney Motor Show, it was sidelined and the 604 appeared on the Renault stand as an evaluation model.

I get the impression that Peugeot probably felt that Renault was attempting to place them in the shade with their new flagship 30TS. And probably had a little chat about the future assembly prospects of the 504. Given that Renault Australia needed increased vehicle assembly like humans need oxygen, I'd say they gave in. Note, this last paragraph is all my own speculation, based on vapour :).

However coinciding with the Australian introduction of the Peugeot 604, Peugeot France also appointed their first permanent Australian representative. I'd guess they were starting to look at their future options, which allowed them to progress promptly when Renault Australia finally closed.