Renault 30 tx in Adelaide

philipjh

Fellow Frogger
Good Evening Folks,

Some of you may recall a bit of interest a little while back when an R30 appeared for sale.

Well I am pleased to say it's no longer for sale as I've purchased said vehicle from the very erudite David.

And yesterday I completed a very comfortable drive from Melbourne to Adelaide.

I drove across on Friday afternoon/evening in a rental car (did you know that even when you buy the excess waiver insurance you're not covered if you hit an animal at night time?) with a swag of tools, various rubber hoses, some gaffer tape, fencing wire and four empty 2 litre containers.

I didn't get past wolf cubs into scouts, but being prepared is something I've grown accustomed too with older cars. (I needn't have feared)

I also took four brand new Bridgestone's on 14 inch R20 rims. According to David the metric sized Michelin's of indeterminate age were showing signs of perishing and at $491.00 quoted per tyre I wasn't rushing down that path in a hurry.

Why didn't I simply have the car freighted?

The car came with a range of spares and there is always a premium to pay if you want anything transported within a vehicle. And as a car enthusiast, the prospect of a road trip should be some enticement.

Of course, there is some trepidation in driving an old car 750 kilometres, and the more stuff I carried to cover any roadside misadventure, the less likely I was to need it.

As it turned out, I did use a couple of tools at the weekend, but that was helping my sister-in-law assemble a set of bunks.

A change od circumstances had forced David to reluctantly sell the car and I am the fortunate recipient.

The car was originally imported from the UK in 2010 into Queensland but according to correspondence from the importer, it was never driven until David took possession in Melbourne.

David has had to sink some considerable money into the car to see it recommissioned and hence it was capable of the journey.

Who knows, given that it originated from the UK, Sunday's 750 Kms may have been it's longest single trip?

Next step is off to Regency Park to organise registration.

Again my thanks to David for providing such a unique but well cared for car.

Pictures taken in Kaniva, Bordertown and home.

Cheers

Attachments

• Kaniva.jpg
    Kaniva.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 908
  • Bordertown.jpg
    Bordertown.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 1,916
  • Home.jpg
    Home.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 1,998
All the best for you and the car. I was also interested and would have had to drive it back to Qld. Unfortunately for me my missus wasn't convinced that it was a good idea. Oh well I missed out on a model Renault that I really liked. I once did 3000 k's in an R30 in France and was impressed with them then. I also had an R20 and it clocked up 600,000 almost trouble free kilometres. I am pleased it has found a good home and will look forward to hearing of your future adventures it her.

Well done!!! That will be a lovely car. Now you've tested it on a short run, please bring it to next year's French Car Day in Perth. :)

Renault close to its peak in design post R16 I reckon.

Bad luck Sunroof. I understand completely....

Cheers

Last edited:
Does it get any better than buying an old Renault from interstate and driving it back, not knowing if it will make it? :headbang::cool:

Congratulations on your purchase and your very cool road trip! :approve:

Does it get any better than buying an old Renault from interstate and driving it back, not knowing if it will make it? :headbang::cool:

Congratulations on your purchase and your very cool road trip! :approve:

Yes, great effort. I know a bloke who drove a Bugatti he'd purchased back from Melbourne years ago and was puzzled by the angle of one front wheel at the Adelaide end of the drive - turned out to have a broken king pin that hadn't quite fallen out. Very scarey.

Well I'll have to apologise for making you pay alot more for it than it was (still a good buy though). I too was bidding on this car. It really seems a beautiful car. My main reason for bidding is I didn't want it to be bought buy someone restoring a Delorean or lotus esprit to pull the gearbox out. Very happy it stayed in the renault community and not become parts!

Congratulations on a wonderful car

Good to see the R30 coming to Adelaide. I saw the car a couple of years ago when I took my R20 to Melbourne for the RCCV Renault Roundup. Now there will be at least two Renaults of that shape in Adelaide.

I am sure you will get a lot of joy driving the R30.

Cheers

John

My fear was that it was going to get snaped up by someone wanting cheap transport and just used and abused for a few years and junked. So glad an enthusiast got it even if it is in another state.

Fine sentiments all around I'd say. Are there any others ones in the country in good, going order? It looks just lovely.

" Unfortunately for me my missus wasn't convinced that it was a good idea." I think I've worn down the resistance of my better half over the years

"Now you've tested it on a short run, please bring it to next year's French Car Day in Perth." Certainly something to contemplate.

"Will it need much welding for the MOT?" I'll give you a call if it does

"Does it get any better than buying an old Renault from interstate and driving it back, not knowing if it will make it?" Probably not.

"Well I'll have to apologise for making you pay a lot more for it than it was " I'm posting you an invoice for the difference tonight.

"Good to see the R30 coming to Adelaide. I saw the car a couple of years ago when I took my R20 to Melbourne for the RCCV Renault Roundup. Now there will be at least two Renaults of that shape in Adelaide." Hi John, I recall seeing yours (Blue in colour?) turn into your property a while back and posted it on "I Spy SA" . And I know of a third, from where I purchased the R20 wheels.

Cheers Folks.

Hopefully registered later in the week and out for a spin on the weekend.

There is another R30 owned by the Nicholls (chicken producer) family near Moriarty just out of Devonport. They brought the car out from the UK with a few other interesting vehicles when they established their business here about 15 or so years ago. It is a well worn vehicle.

A year later the thread continues ...........

Well I took it down to Regency for an inspection, but there was no compliance plate and a full roadworthy and engineering report was required to ensure that the car met the relevant ADR's.

So before I could attend for the roadworthy I needed an engineer's report to reveal that the side intrusion bars as fitted to the Renault were up to standard. Of course they were, and in fact considerably stronger than that required at the time. Did you know such reports don't come cheaply!!

I also had to fit child restraint anchor points as these hadn't been fitted to UK cars at the time. These are situated in the roof, adjacent to where the hatch hinges. I was able to take photo's of the ones fitted to 'Gats' blue R20 as sufficient evidence that my similarly (self) fitted anchor points were compliant.

Given the cost of the engineer's report for the intrusion bars I hate to think what 'testing' might have cost to set up child restraint anchor points if I hadn't had a 'Gats' car to refer too.

Anyway, off to the roadworthy. Fail?? Of course it did.

Main problem was rust in the sills. grubby underside to the engine and the worn and faded seat belts. The inspector seemed to delight in poking holes into all the rusty bit he could find.

A couple of side lights not working and a torn driveshaft boot.

With Christmas/New Year, the pending birth of my first grandchild, my daughter and her partner moving back to Adelaide and finding them a place to live; I wasn't thinking much about the car until about Easter.

Trying to find someone willing to look at repairs on an odd-ball, relatively low value car was a challenge in itself. I eventually took it to a guy and after explaining to me how the complete inner/outer sills would need to be replaced and the complexities of having sheet metal bent to the proper shape would need to be done, etc, etc .................. he quoted me $7,000.00.

Yes that's the correct number of nought's.

Feeling a little despondent I drove home, didn't cry but wondered how I was going to explain how I now intended to scrap the car to my dear wife.

Looked on the internet to see if any local Delorean or Lotus owners wanted a PRV motor. Contemplated buying the ratty looking R20 I had seen previously and putting the motor in there.

Anyway I left it under the carport as winter arrived and didn't think about it for a while (too depressing).

Mid-winter I grabbed the angle grinder and attacked the thick black painty stuff on the sills to see the extent of the rust.

I was disappointed to see how someone had used so much bog at the end of the sills, but heartened that this is where it seemed confined.

Anyway, manged to find a couple of more guys, who were able to see the full extent of the problem without having to try and guess what was (or wasn't) under the paint.

Eventually got the repairs done at a tenth of the of the original quote. Got the boot replaced and bought and fitted some seat belts.

Took it out to the friendly Mark Holland (no relation) for a service and minor tune and tidied up a couple of other things.

Next was to organise some courage, and a time to take it back to the inspectors at Regency.

While I was reasonably confident, there were a couple of minor oil weeps that might have not passed muster.

Anyway, my fears were unfounded and I got my plates.

Given the work care for most duties and a couple of other cars in the driveway, the Renault will only be used for enjoyment and hopefully a fairly pampered life over the next few years.

Give me a wave if you see me out on the road.

A year later the thread continues ...........

Well I took it down to Regency for an inspection, but there was no compliance plate and a full roadworthy and engineering report was required to ensure that the car met the relevant ADR's.

So before I could attend for the roadworthy I needed an engineer's report to reveal that the side intrusion bars as fitted to the Renault were up to standard. Of course they were, and in fact considerably stronger than that required at the time. Did you know such reports don't come cheaply!!

I also had to fit child restraint anchor points as these hadn't been fitted to UK cars at the time. These are situated in the roof, adjacent to where the hatch hinges. I was able to take photo's of the ones fitted to 'Gats' blue R20 as sufficient evidence that my similarly (self) fitted anchor points were compliant.

Given the cost of the engineer's report for the intrusion bars I hate to think what 'testing' might have cost to set up child restraint anchor points if I hadn't had a 'Gats' car to refer too.

Anyway, off to the roadworthy. Fail?? Of course it did.

Main problem was rust in the sills. grubby underside to the engine and the worn and faded seat belts. The inspector seemed to delight in poking holes into all the rusty bit he could find.

A couple of side lights not working and a torn driveshaft boot.

With Christmas/New Year, the pending birth of my first grandchild, my daughter and her partner moving back to Adelaide and finding them a place to live; I wasn't thinking much about the car until about Easter.

Trying to find someone willing to look at repairs on an odd-ball, relatively low value car was a challenge in itself. I eventually took it to a guy and after explaining to me how the complete inner/outer sills would need to be replaced and the complexities of having sheet metal bent to the proper shape would need to be done, etc, etc .................. he quoted me $7,000.00.

Yes that's the correct number of nought's.

Feeling a little despondent I drove home, didn't cry but wondered how I was going to explain how I now intended to scrap the car to my dear wife.

Looked on the internet to see if any local Delorean or Lotus owners wanted a PRV motor. Contemplated buying the ratty looking R20 I had seen previously and putting the motor in there.

Anyway I left it under the carport as winter arrived and didn't think about it for a while (too depressing).

Mid-winter I grabbed the angle grinder and attacked the thick black painty stuff on the sills to see the extent of the rust.

I was disappointed to see how someone had used so much bog at the end of the sills, but heartened that this is where it seemed confined.

Anyway, manged to find a couple of more guys, who were able to see the full extent of the problem without having to try and guess what was (or wasn't) under the paint.

Eventually got the repairs done at a tenth of the of the original quote. Got the boot replaced and bought and fitted some seat belts.

Took it out to the friendly Mark Holland (no relation) for a service and minor tune and tidied up a couple of other things.

Next was to organise some courage, and a time to take it back to the inspectors at Regency.

While I was reasonably confident, there were a couple of minor oil weeps that might have not passed muster.

Anyway, my fears were unfounded and I got my plates.

Given the work care for most duties and a couple of other cars in the driveway, the Renault will only be used for enjoyment and hopefully a fairly pampered life over the next few years.

Give me a wave if you see me out on the road.

What a great story Phillip! Will let you know when the French Car Show is on next in Adelaide. It was only on last month, so you've got at least 11months to get ready for the next one!

Sounds like quite a trip, and another reason why I'm wary of cars without a compliance plate, whether ADR or personal import :)

If not already done, I'd be dipping the car in Tectyl, fishoil, or your fave rust preventative given the 20/30 has been known to rust in the oddest of places. Time to enjoy the car after all that effort!

Attachments

• DSC08609.jpg
    DSC08609.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 334
  • DSC08608.jpg
    DSC08608.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 337
Yes, drench it in Fishoil. Drench..... doors off, eggcup full of Fishoilene and rotate progressively until it runs out of every joint/corner, pinhole etc. Same for the rest. The local cats will think it is Christmas but will leave puzzled.

Nice outcome and lots of us are very pleased it wasn't scrapped after all those good intentions.