Relacement seals and engine on old ID

That's right Mr Keats! Alfred Hitchcock loved this keatsian line. He had Joan Fontaine and Laurence Olivier give it a postscript in the movie 'Rebecca'. If my memory serves me - and I must watch the film again soon- it went along the lines:

(joan's now deceased father had been a painter who had only ever painted one subject - a tree that he thought was beautiful)

Joan (to laurence):'my father had the idea that once one found something perfectly beautiful that one should stick with it...do think that's terribly silly?

Laurence: Not at all, I'm a firm believer in that myself.

(of course Laurence had found the real mrs Dewinter, and the narrative was thus established.

O & H also played lip service in south pacific - some enchanted evening, you may see a stranger...

But not as deftly in my view.

The lovely couple that cared for your car for so many years - and I only met them once but they created a profound impression- were (someone please correct my memory of the names) Tom and Eileen Eyears(?). The couple had just completed a long drive to Cit in jindabyne. 'she went beautifully...pinged a bit...' That would have been 2000 or 2001 I think.

They loved that car for many years and I was thrilled to see another 62. It was also the best drive of my life because I drove in tandem through the high country with non other than ferdi saliba and the black knight- another '62 and the ultimate bench-mark.

So you've found her! We're lucky, aren't we...

Tim

Attachments

• photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 281
Last edited:
I think I've actually confused your car with Hugo of Melbourne's id which he sold on ebay a year or so ago. Similar colour and also a sixty two I think - anyone know who has that one and how its going?

Tim

Colours

Yeah, the colour. I just couldn't repaint it the original, which was that green/blue. I wasn't going to spend.... a lot... to not love the colour. Believe you me, it was not a lightly taken decision. I love the colour of yours. Wouldn't pick it off a colour chart, but it really works! More interesting than blue!!
Is the other 1962 ID that you refer to (Ferdi's) the one with the link to Flickr images?
I'm getting the feeling I need to drive down to Melb. in it, visit mum and dad, and suck your brain dry of info!
Currently my car has no headlining. Can you advise sometime on what material it would have been. Maybe a PM.

Carl

Last edited:
Ferdi has been a stalwart of the victorian club for ever. A first-rate bloke. His car (His Royal Highness - from the original plates) is nearly 100% original and immaculate. A personal inspiration to me for many many years - along with its owner. As a twenty three year old - or so - I told him the story of the Id (my harriet) I wanted to rescue. Having only just met me, he handed me his two part slough manual (a nice one, too and harder to find in those pre internet days) and set me to work. I believe he had in turn been helped with his car by one impressive gentleman by the name of Chalmers Watt. So I brought Harriet home behind my HQ holden wagon. Ferdi's is the Black '62 Id that features in the Australian section of the DS Restorer's Guide by Reynolds / de Lange. It is just wonderful. If you do come to victoria - we must organise a run of some kind.

Tim

Last edited:
Single headlighters even...we'd get a few more punters that way...Citroen D model...the first 10 years? Got legs?

The seals for the 18mm cylinder per the parts book are listed as being 12.1 x 17.5 x 2.7 mm (4.905-S).

Has anyone noticed that the black 'Ferdi' ID in the Reynolds book is one different in chassis number to the blue ID above?

What was the sign...?

As 50 gets close.....I was born the same year as the car.... I can't remember what the sign said.
So I asked my son, who, like all 12 year olds , remembers everything.
He said it was a description of model, year etc, that was all.
NOT A FOR SALE SIGN!!

Ian, if as you say I must go to Brisbane first, Melbourne might be a way off!

My first car, in 1980 was a Mk 1 Bugeye Sprite....... Also reg. HRH...... HRH 650.
I mentioned out loud just now that I had a book with a black ID in it that I couldn't find...... "It's under my bed Dad" came the reply.
So yes, now I know Ferdi's car, and it was what hooked me on the ID19.... And now as pointed out it is 1 number different to mine..... I'm related to royalty!

carl

Last edited:
My car's a year older than me. But 50 is looming close, nevertheless. Fortunately I have a thirteen year old and a sixteen year old for assistance. The 16 year old may be venturing out behind the wheel of a '48 midnight blue 11BL before the year is out...but that's another story...all I can say is watch that habit of these books under the bed...if you know what I mean. It takes it's toll on your driveway.

Tim

Last edited:
Hi Tim
Planning to go to Brisbane on Wednesday to look at Donats CX assuming the airlines settle down. I will go to DS and talk to Lance about a plan / time for the ID.

carl

Great - you'll enjoy that.Complain about the hot sticky weather when you're there. Hey if yours and Ferdi's cars are only a number apart, it's surprising that yours is Buckle (am I right?) and his Heidelberg. What's the story there, I wonder?

Have a good time in Brisbane - and find out about John Paas' trim guy for your headlining perhaps! John's shop Victorian Living is worth a trip to Brissy on it's own.

Tim

Hi
No, I was always of the impression mine was a Heidelberg car....unless that data plate pic tells another story.
Yes, It was in my mind to look into the trim as well while it was up there, though apparently there is a good upholstery guy in Seven Hills, near me in Sydney...... I can feel a new thread coming on.

Carl

1962 Production year At Continental and General.

Oh yes...that is a Continental and General plate with the dealer badge over the top by the looks. Don't know why I thought Buckle. There you go yours and Ferdi's car together on the line...but curiouser and curiouser....my body number on the C&G plate is 19727431. That's 722 cars before Ferdi's. I didn't think there were that many cars from C&G in '62. Were there? I used to know something about this but it's all gone now. Help! I'm starting a thread on it.