Relacement seals and engine on old ID

Modified 1960ID

Hi Zorker,

Thanks for the feedback. I am pleased you found my comments helpful.

I have found this whole thread to be interesting.

I have owned various Citroens since 1971, in both Europe and Australia, ranging from Ami 6(1), ID19(3), GS(4), DS23 (1 auto), XM (2), Berlingo (1), and, at present, a 2009 C5 HDi Comfort and a 2008 C4 VTS Coupe – the latter two both purchased new from Continental Cars.

The original D Series was indeed a groundbreaking design, but by any rational, objective criteria, it was a very long way from being a “masterpiece”, as reference to the wealth of reference material available on the car will attest.

Because of Citroen’s precarious financial situation at the time, regardless of how good was the initial design concept, the DS that ultimately went into production in 1955 was a forced compromise in many areas – just one example being the use of the old Traction engine instead of the proposed flat six.

The DS was never subjected to a full and thorough testing and development program, which would have uncovered the many major faults found in the early years. The customers basically carried out the research and development for the company that should have been done before it was put on the market.

Major faults were prevalent in both final design and production. Failures of the hydraulics, engine overheating, noise, vibration and harshness, rapid structural corrosion due to the absence of any preventive measures, and so on, meant that the initial euphoria about the DS on the part of buyers, and potential customers, rapidly gave way to disillusionment with the car, a situation from which it took the company years to recover.

The many improvements to the D series over its production life solved most of the initial problems, and the final versions - with the exception especially of the DS23 Auto - generally redeemed the car’s reputation. However, the basic design concept of the car meant that it could never have met the new safety regulations in Europe.

Preserving D series in their “original” state is certainly a laudable endeavour, even when that “original” condition retains basic deficiencies in reliability, performance, safety, and structural integrity, that were subsequently rectified by the company itself in its later model D’s.

A good example that I mentioned in my earlier post was the ID19 original braking system, which was relaced by the later button-operated system after the endemic problems experienced with the pedal/master cylinder arrangement. The reason that this was done was to rectify a major safety and reliability issue which was found in service. Having irate Parisian taxi drivers stranded in traffic with locked brakes was hardly a situation that reflected credit on the company’s engineering prowess, or its potential marketing success.

I certainly considered it, as I had the parts, but the reason I did not convert the old braking system on my 1960 ID19 to the DSpecial system was simply that, at the time, it was not practical to do so, especially as the floor of the car would have to have been modified, as well as the hydraulic circuitry. When we thoroughly tested the braking system with the DSpecial brakes operated by the old pedal/master cylinder arrangement, there was no problem, other than the one I described in my previous post. Interestingly, in today’s world such a system, with its lack of redundancy, would never have been permitted in the first place.

So, I hope your car has the later braking system.

If I had wanted to preserve the 1960 ID19 purely as a museum piece, I would never have modified it. However, what I wanted to achieve with the modification was reliable and comfortable daily transport, with the unique characteristics of the D, and reasonable performance, incorporating developments made by Citroen themselves to improve the D series.

In the end, after a lot of work, that is exactly what I got – a much better and more enjoyable ID.

Regards,

RobL

Early ID Hydraulic Mod.

Dear RobL,

Of course I do not want to tisk tisk those who make modifications. My goodness it is much better to own and care for and enjoy an early car than not to. And if one has a 1960/61 car with the master cylinder and want to use it as a daily driver then I think you are probably cornered into doing something. And I can imagine wanting to make changes in plenty of circumstances. I would love one day to build a convertible a la the white Reddiex one for instance...pipe dream of course. Some lovely 60 IDs have been restored though, and I would be interested as to whether any one has persisted with the master cylinder arrangement.

I have the pendulum pedal with power brake which briefly existed before the button but after the master cylinder. My '62 has excellent and reliable brakes. And it is unnecessary on any of the grounds you mention to alter this. And the proof is in the pudding.

The earliest Ds in Australia (mid 50s onward) did suffer issues you mention mainly because they were so avant guard in this environment and service and supply networks were wanting. Reverberations from these days are probably still present in our antipodean tendency to fear the D.

This doesn't apply to the Aussie built ID though, and cars after late 61 (approx right timing I think) don't suffer the brake problem.

So Zorker, if you have the power brake you are right - you certainly don't need to go green just work to getting what you have working well. The master cylinder though has some scarey stories around it.

And RobL - we are in early D fraternity. How wonderful. I apologise profusely if I adopt a admonishing tone above - absoutely unintended.

Masterpiece? No question. Would the owner of a 50s DS replace their hydraulic system these days? I think not but you may prove me wrong.

My warmest best wishes!

Tim

To my mind, any old Dee on the road is a good Dee, whether it is an ID or a DS, whether it has the first or second front, whether it is standard or has been modified.

As for my 1959 DS19, I reckon there is nothing wrong with it that could not be fixed by rebuilding certain components, be they mechanical, hydraulic or interior.

Roger

D series: the good and the bad

Hi Tim and Roger,

Thanks for the excellent replies.

Believe me, Tim, I feel no way admonished! It has been excellent to have this very constructive discussion.

I obviously like Citroens of all kinds, and have spent many years driving and working on D series cars.

They are great cars, but some people, yourselves certainly not included, make emotive claims for the car, unsupported by empirical evidence, and deny their faults - claims such as “the DS was the safest car ever built”. On the contrary, as Jon Presnell points out in his book Citroen DS: the Complete Story, the D series cars were “prone to disintegrate somewhat disconcertingly in heavy accidents”. (p 43)

I accept the D series cars for what they are, both the good and the bad features. To me the positives far outweigh the negatives, but that doesn’t make the negatives any less frustrating, especially when so many of them were unnecessary consequences of inadequate design, and/or incomplete development.

Tim, you are very fortunate in having a later brake system in your ID.

While in Scotland in the early 1970s, for two and a half years, I owned a 1966 ID19. It had originally been an Executive car at Citroen Slough. It had the button-operated braking system, which was fine.

It was a ‘transition’ model with the later two-headlight front, and the new dashboard, but it still used LHS2 in the hydraulic system, and had the three bearing long stroke engine.

I drove it in various European countries, including France, and, on one trip, to the then Yugoslavia. It was a very fine touring car. A photo of the car is attached.

However, even though it was only six years old when I bought it, and, on the surface, in immaculate condition inside and out, rust was very badly affecting its structural integrity internally. The lack of any anti corrosion treatment whatsoever, plus the salt spread on the roads in Scotland during winter as an anti icing measure, wreaked internal havoc with safety critical areas of the load bearing structure.

For example, the box section at the front of the boot supporting the rear trailing arms corroded and failed – a typical problem with these cars. The first visible sign of this was the rapidly developing negative camber of the rear wheels – especially noticeable when the car was on the high suspension setting.

Luckily, Andy Barnett, a Citroen guru in Tarland, Royal Deeside, rebuilt, reinforced, and rust proofed, the rear box section, after a very tentative two hour drive on my part from St Andrews. He also cut out and repaired other structure that had been eaten away by rust. He had performed these same repairs on many Ds, some only three or four years old.

This kind of internal structural failure, with its dire consequences for safety, was inexcusable on the part of Citroen – the D’s started to rust away internally from day one on European roads.

The other problem in the Scottish climate was the moisture and high humidity. Unfortunately, LHS2 is deliquescent, absorbing water which, in turn caused the hydraulic piping to rust – for example, the articulated brake pipes at the rear, and the suspension piping to the rear spheres. Not much fun when they split….There were very good safety reasons for the change to LHM.

To combat the rust, we sprayed copious quantities of Finnegans Waxoyl into every aperture we could find.

Here in Canberra, there is no rust problem, and early Citroens last well.

My current 2009 C5 HDi is by far the best big Citroen I have owned – a superb touring car.

But, there have been fifty six years of automotive research and development since the original DS was launched.

The C5 and C6 are not icons as the original DS was in the context of the state of the art of 1950’s automotive engineering and design; they could never be.

However, they are evolutionary developments of the design concepts pioneered, however imperfectly, in the D series, and they retain the character and spirit of the DS.

Cheers,

Rob

Attachments

• ID19 Scotland 1972.jpg
    ID19 Scotland 1972.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 595
I've always held the line that Citroen changed from LHS to LHS2 to LHM because each fluid was an improvement. LHS2 really is a crappy fluid compared to LHM.

Hi DS, can't remember much about LHS2 because haven't used it for over 20 years. Did use it initially. Still, if it was bad for my car it's a slow poison.

Tim

Lhs2

Tim,

I used LHS2 in all my ID's over a 20 year period. It's certainly not a slow poison.

Nor is it really a major problem in our Oz climate, apart from stripping the paint if you spill any, but it was certainly an issue in European conditions; hence the change to LHM.

I used to buy LHS2 in bulk from the BP depot here in Canberra, when they had lots of it, but those days are long gone.

Having operated Citroens with both types of fluid, LHM is far more practical and user friendly.

Cheers,

RobL

Lhs2

Yes but LHS2 doesn't exist to my knowledge, and hasn't since late 80's or thereabouts so LHM/LHS2 comparison is mute can't we agree? I am only making my claim about local conditions because apart from a 1 year stint in my families ID in UK in '65, Australia is my only experience. As you say no substantial issues in our climate and I agree I can't recall issues and there are none I feel in my repressed memory. Plenty will relate impressive stories, but I am sceptical that these directly relate to the fluid in the veins. My car is not rusty either.

By 'slow poison' I mean that my 28 years of ID driving reveals no ill-effects to me, my paint or my hydraulic system having used LHS2 in the past.

I like to relate the story that when I collected my ID from a paddock in 1987 it had been sitting for 15 years without use. Full of LHS2. Impusively (remember I was only 20 odd), I got her started. She rose within minutes and the system was fully functional albeit with a slightly sticky rear corrector that took me 10 mins to fix. Naturally I soon changed the fluid, but my point is that it had sat happily - not getting crusty, grungy, wasting the seals etc etc for all that time. I was sold on the robustness of the early system and am to this day.

Nor can I get excited about the spillage on paint matter. It's not as if we splash it around for goodness sake - odd top up and yearly change in a properly working system.

Modern equivalents to LHS2 (eg PBR red dot and lubricant) seem to do the job nicely. So if we can accept the above...do we still want to suggest that on an early D (put aside the pre 62 master cyliner issue because that is altogether a different question relating to design which may merit a change) with all accompanying maintenance issues before we even get to the hydraulic system, that we should promote to the new lover of this distinctive car the ripping out of the early hydraulic system? Green fluid may be nice - you know you're soaking in it - but not that nice. Come on Robbo, please agree with me...I'm not trying to be difficult...:confused:

Tim

Attachments

• images-2.jpg
    images-2.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 243
Last edited:
Lhs2

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the comments.

You may have missed my point - I should have expresed things better.

We are in agreement - I was actually putting in a plug for LHS2!

I realise that you have not used it for years, as you made clear.

You seem to have come up with a better fluid in any case.

You are correct about the spillage being a relatively minor issue - except when you have had the high pressure LHS2 fountain in the engine compartment when the emergency brake valve opened - a real mess to clean up afterwards.

As you say, that is really another issue, associated with the original ID19 braking
system, which, fortunately, you do not have on your car, but the characteristics of LHS2
just added to the misery when it did happen.

I really don't think we have any significant disagreement. On the contrary, we share a mutual affection for the D series - warts and all.

I once wrote a long article on my 'challenging' experiences with my DS23 Auto for the Citroen Association of Canberra magazine, Spheres and Gears . If I can find it, I will scan it in and post it.

Best regards,

RobL

Rob,
Many decades ago we had an Australian assembled 1961 ID with the master cylinder brakes ( it had a black roof too an unusual thing on a Heidelberg ID and chromed metal inside door handles instead of the grey plastic ones )...huge pedal pressure required and the dreaded emergency function if the master cylinder could get too much stroke...when, as noted the glass honey bottle reservoir would overflow ...and that was the problem... despite many attempts at bleeding and replacement of master cylinder seals it was never able to retain a "full" pedal and always felt like there was air in the system..can't remember the solution but the '62 vintage Heidelberg ID with the powered low square pedal had brilliant brakes.. Middlemoon's has such a system which uses engine pump sourced pressure and an accumulator for the fronts and the rear suspension pressure to feed the rear drums.
Have you considered a conventional remote vacuum power booster ? They were a possible fitment back in the 60s... details escape me.

I also remember the cable operated throttle pedal. It always broke on wet days at the point where it went through the firewall. The spring inside the cylinder that houses the end of the cable above the gas pedal was a good idea allowing easy replacement. Have you struck any problem with that yet ?

Hi Rob,

Yes cheers mate - my need to be pointed just comes from not wanting newbies (used with respect) to think they have to change their wonderful old systems. Granted they might if they have the dreaded master cylinder! There's plenty of other stuff that wants attention....

Hey Rob which is your early D? Wondering if I know it. Can you post a pic?

Tim

Last edited:
Early ID19

Hi Fritzelhund,

I disposed of my re-engined ID19 about seven or eight years ago, after owning the car since 1975. As far as I know, it still exists - last I heard it was rumoured to be in Mittagong(?).

I never changed the original brake system, and even have a few of the old master cylinder parts in my garage.

Yes, the dreaded early ID19 throttle cable used to break regularly, and always at the most inconvenient times - usually raining, and in heavy traffic. I always carried a spare in the car. An incompetent piece of design.

When I changed to the DSpecial engine, I replaced the old style throttle cable with a bicycle brake cable, operating through a new custom made aluminium bracket at the carburettor end, with much care taken to avoid sharp bends in the cable routing. After that, no more throttle cable failures, ever.

Regards,

RobL

1960 ID19 with DSpecial motor

Hi Tim.

There was one photo attached to my post of 20 May, but I am attaching a few more here.

If I can find one of the engine compartment, I will post that later.

Cheers,

Rob

Attachments

• ID190036.jpg
    ID190036.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 236
  • ID190038.jpg
    ID190038.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 243
  • ID190035.JPG
    ID190035.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 250
  • ID190032.jpg
    ID190032.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 263
Hi Zorker,

The DS was never subjected to a full and thorough testing and development program, which would have uncovered the many major faults found in the early years. The customers basically carried out the research and development for the company that should have been done before it was put on the market.

Sounds like Microsoft without the benefit of monopoly status!

Red fluid car

Hi Tim
Having sent you the last email I went looking for this post, and low and behold it was you!
My immediate issue is leaking rear brakes. I had the cylinders honed. and they are fine. Roger in Adelaide sent me some 'O'ring seals, but sent 19mm, not the 18mm required, and are loose.
So i went and found some 18mm 'O' rings and put them in. Nice seal, but I am guessing (from reading posts in this thread) this was not a good idea.
I really want to get the car home, or away from where it is, so am ok with this as a short term solution.
Questions.
The 19mm seals Roger supplied fit, but are loose. I am guessing these must be off later cars, so (assuming they will even seal) could there be an issue with the material deteriorating?
Would you have a suggestion?
If I was to change over to a brake fluid / caster combo straight away, what material should the 'O' rings be made of.
Any help appreciated. If easier to explain, 02 9654 8101

Thanks

Carl

Carl I have sent you a couple of seal sets with your indicators. No charge (i think I paid 20 cents each for them). Suffice to say they don't deteriorate (or haven't for several years now). Bear in mind that while seals may seem a little loose on piston when outside the sleeve, they are correct when under pressure. Are you leaking down your inner wheel rim? The line swivel is vulnerable these days also and can easily be swapped for a modern flexible hose. If you're a stickler like me you may want new swivel fittings and they are also available.

The key to maintaining a hydraulic system is the 'crying baby' approach - there is always a good reason for displeasure, you just have to find it and it's usually simpler than you were thinking.

Last edited:
Carl if you have a cylinder off can you send me a pic of one? Or can a '61 (master cylinder) person comment on the difference between my wheel cylinders and Carl's if any....

Tim

It's ok all sorted now - your car is the same year as mine and same brake specs. The best year! Congratulations. The kit I have sent you will be fine. I have a range of spare wheel cylinders if you have any worries with yours. My comments about the flexi hoses / swivels and babies still apply!

Looking forward to seeing your car in the flesh sometime. It is a good one. Any chance of it having canola in the system? If you're not sure best drain it. If you're getting black gooby stuff in the cylinders / correctors this could be your problem....John, was it in Michael's 'canola phase' that he owned this '62?

Tim

Last edited:
Gilbert can you check this out?

Carl has the '62 Michael had....i'm pretty sure...Did it have a canola habit for a while?

Tim

1962 id19 ex donal, ex pass brothers...who else?

A thing of beauty is a joy for ever:
Its loveliness increases; it will never
Pass into nothingness
......( John Keats)

Attachments

• IMG_0346.jpg
    IMG_0346.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 244
  • DSCN2106.jpg
    DSCN2106.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 280
  • DSCN2107.jpg