Rear diff for DANGEL

Dangel 1

Fellow Frogger
I am getting a bit of work done on my 505 4x4 Dangel and the mechanics says he is not happy with the noise from the rear diff (LSD from 505 GTI wagon).
it has always had a bit of noise from the diff but I have never been overly concerned about it, I just put it down to it being a bit agricultural. The mechanic wants to take the diff out and send it away to have it rebuilt.

does anyone have any experience of rebuilding a 505 GTI wagon diff and who would be able to competently do this work in Queensland preferably?

regards Graham

You could perhaps ask Lewin at Peugeot Spare Parts.

Or Peugeotech.

I'd think finding a known good spare may be more cost effective.
I have access to one which is very quite. I am not convinced that there is too much wrong with the diff in the car but these modern mechanics panic if they hear something unusual. Having driven Peugeots for 40 years I have gotten used to their quirky ways and noises. That said, I might do a swap and see what happens.

graham

Hi :)
I am not familiar with that diff so this is a general comment. When diffs get noisy, as in whines or hums, the cause is usually the bearings not the actual gears. The bearing wear lets the gears move from the set position and so they cause noise. As bearings are made to very strict tolerances it is quite feasible to replace them without changing the original shims/settings and that long complicated setup in the books is not really necessary. After all the diff has been running with say a couple of thou slack instead of a preload or the pinion has been even more slack instead of preloaded for ? how long ?

Just some food for thought. My limited experience. Obviously if there has been a lubricant loss or a breakage or similar this does not apply. :(
Jaahn

Hi :)
I am not familiar with that diff so this is a general comment. When diffs get noisy, as in whines or hums, the cause is usually the bearings not the actual gears. The bearing wear lets the gears move from the set position and so they cause noise. As bearings are made to very strict tolerances it is quite feasible to replace them without changing the original shims/settings and that long complicated setup in the books is not really necessary. After all the diff has been running with say a couple of thou slack instead of a preload or the pinion has been even more slack instead of preloaded for ? how long ?

Just some food for thought. My limited experience. Obviously if there has been a lubricant loss or a breakage or similar this does not apply. :(
Jaahn
It is not so much a whine or hum but more a grinding noise. It has been doing it for the 100000 Klms I have owned the car so I have just become used to it. To my knowledge it has never run out of oil but I do know it has covered 100000 Klms of very hard rough sandy driving since I imported it into AUSTRALIA 9 years ago. I will get the guys to pull it out and have a look at it.
Graham

Make sure the ratio is the same as the front diff.

I have access to one which is very quite. I am not convinced that there is too much wrong with the diff in the car but these modern mechanics panic if they hear something unusual. Having driven Peugeots for 40 years I have gotten used to their quirky ways and noises. That said, I might do a swap and see what happens.

graham

Make sure the ratio is the same as the front diff.
Good advice Graham.

i think I will play some think music for a while and try to work it out.

i have sent a message to the guy I bought it off in France to see what he says. If I do anything I will probably get the rear one done up.
any suggestions as to who could do that for me when I am ready?

graham

Good point. The Dangel ratio is probably the same as Mi16x4.

Is the LSD arrangement in the DANGEL the same as the Torsen diff in the Mi16x4 mentioned by PeterT?

Cheers
Roland

:jiggy:
i do not know the answer to this question. I am waiting for Dangel in France to wake up and tell me.

all I know is the Dangel manual says the ratio is 8x39

graham

That's a lot lower than the Mi16x4, which is 13 x 43, 3.307:1

It doesn't really mean anything, as the output of the transfer case is 43x13, cancelling each other out. The 14x62 (4.43:1) cwp in the gearbox does the final reduction.

Was this the Dangel that I saw with Mark Dyson in Perth some years back? Good luck with the diff. It seemed a helluva robust car!

Dangel s Diesel but has much bigger tyres than 405 Mi16.
France has woken up and the news is interesting.
the front diff is different from the rear. They are both 8x39 ratio which is unique to Dangel and not shared with any other Peugeot.

you can't fit a front to the back or back to the front.

the front diff can either be LSD or not. We are not sure what mine is but I have a reconditioned front diff with LSD coming from France. Need to get an overdraft to pay for it. My front diff is OK, BUT I may as well put a new one in.

my Dangel expert is not aware of any 8x39 rear Dangel diffs that are available in France so I am going to get mine reconditioned locally by Diff Lapping in Brisbane. Again the cost is out of the ballpark. Never mind Dangel One is worth it.

8x39 ratio diffs are not used in any other Peugeots, only Dangel's. So there we have it. Suck it up Sunshine. You wanted a unique wonderful vehicle and you have one. I am happy.

thanks for all the input.

regards Graham

Yep, that was it. Since then I have done about 100000klms of very rough running it has performed very well for me.
graham