Rally Oz - Pug Style!

gti138

1000+ Posts
Fellow Frogger
I've made my way to sunny Perth for Rally Australia and I've managed to work my way inside the Peugeot World Rally team. Well
not quite - Marcus doesn't need another co-driver - let alone one that can't speak Finnish!

I am part of what's called the meteo crew - we basically go out and
take measurements, observations etc for the team to help make things
like tyre choices etc.

I've just spent the past hour and a bit in the Peugeot service tent
going through all my briefings and getting all my books, route maps
etc etc and now have to read all the stuff I've got to make sure I know exactly what's happening and where we have to be and when! To think that I thought this would be a walk in the park!

I'm taking as many photos as I can - although they aren't as good as
the ones that XTC is putting up on the official rally website but when
I get back home I'll get them uploaded somewhere to save everyone
getting attachments they don't really want!

Anyhow I'll attach a couple of teasers for now.

Attachments

• how_close_to_a_307_small.jpg
    how_close_to_a_307_small.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 257
  • seb.jpg
    seb.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 274
PSA Show!!

After Day 1(with two superspecials left to go), it seems to be a PSA Show!!! :cheers:

Marcus Gronholm is leading in front of Sebastian Loeb(+21s) and teammate Harri Rovanpera(+1m07s)

Stuey said:
I'm taking my 5 yo son to his first WRC event tomorrow. A 4am wake up call for a 5:30am start...

Stuey

You get to sleep in :) I have to be at SS20 (Flynns 2) at 5am so it's a 2:45 wake up call for a 3:30 am start.

We then have to be at Bannister North by 8am :)

Then it's sleep glorious sleep!

Michael

gti138 said:
You get to sleep in :) I have to be at SS20 (Flynns 2) at 5am so it's a 2:45 wake up call for a 3:30 am start.
We then have to be at Bannister North by 8am :)
Then it's sleep glorious sleep!
Michael
Stop complaining, you got a MINT job :) .... do you think we've been outta here before 1am each night !!

- XTC -

It's very cool to see some AFers at the WRC!

G, what are you doing there? What are you shooting with?

XTC206 said:
You've heard it here first .... Ordynski to leave Mitsubishi at the end of the this rally ...

- XTC -

Yes, I was thinking that he seems to have lost it.
Graham

XTC206 said:
Stop complaining, you got a MINT job :) .... do you think we've been outta here before 1am each night !!

- XTC -

Oh im not complaining :) It's lucky with the timezone difference to home it's actually more like 5am (real time) that I'm getting up.

Have just finished my duties for today - got to go back at 3pm for final de-brief etc.

Has been the most awesome experience. Even our near miss with some kangaroos at 5:30 this morning :)

Michael

Well, guys, there's nothing like the whoop of a five year old seeing his first Grp A rally car driven in anger. My son was absolutely AMAZED even though we'd built him up to expect the sheer noise and speed. We had a good spot about 20m from the water splash. Brilliant, although there was no shade. Thank god for SPF30+.

Saw a Renault Sport Clio there, plate 'RSC 172' - anyone here?

Stuey

Sounds like you had a great day there Stuey, hope your son enjoyed it. We got to take the 307 through the watersplash. We couldnt believe how steep the jumps really are. I guess seeing it on tv makes it look somewhat flatter - but going over them - wow.

No didnt get the car airborne. It was already starting to have a bit of trouble with the very rough roads that we took it on over the past 3 days.

Aside from the normal rattles you'd expect there was a worrying one every now and then from the top edge of the windscreen - I guess that the glue could have come loose? Needless to say I wouldnt recomend buying this little car. The suspension's certainly had a work out!

Sadly Marcus had another crash today and required hospital treatment for what sounds like a heavy concussion.

I am now the proud owner of a piece of the 307WRC - It's a bit from the LH rear quarter panel that Marcus damaged on SS10 on Saturday morning. It was due to be signed this afternoon but sadly that was not to happen :( I guess I'll have to bring it back next year!!!

Stuey said:
Well, guys, there's nothing like the whoop of a five year old seeing his first Grp A rally car driven in anger. My son was absolutely AMAZED even though we'd built him up to expect the sheer noise and speed. We had a good spot about 20m from the water splash. Brilliant, although there was no shade. Thank god for SPF30+.

Saw a Renault Sport Clio there, plate 'RSC 172' - anyone here?

Stuey

Hey Stuey,

I was down at the Sortico stage with my brother. There were some good close up views of the cars, the weather was great. All the noise, speed and dust. Brilliant! :)

The water splash was a good vantage point. I really needed more zoom on the camera though.

I saw that Clio as well, one of those limited edition (85 odd ) Clio Cup's that were initially sold here.

Troy.

EDIT : added attachment.

Attachments

• Xsara_Splash.jpg
    Xsara_Splash.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Please excuse my ignorance...but in HK here it is very hard to get any Rally news.

Is Carlos Saintz retiring from WRC or just from Citroen?? It would be a shame to see him leave such a good team and he is a very very consistent driver.

Cheers
Billy

BW205 said:
Please excuse my ignorance...but in HK here it is very hard to get any Rally news.

Is Carlos Saintz retiring from WRC or just from Citroen?? It would be a shame to see him leave such a good team and he is a very very consistent driver.

Cheers
Billy
Is retiring from WRC, however wants to still be involved just not as a driver:(

TroyO said:
Hey Stuey,

I was down at the Sortico stage with my brother. There were some good close up views of the cars, the weather was great. All the noise, speed and dust. Brilliant! :)

The water splash was a good vantage point. I really needed more zoom on the camera though.
Howdy Troy; I was on the other side of the corner from you facing the cars as they came around the corner and up the hill, on top of a rock, with my son, brother and his g/f. You weren't the guy with a fresh Mohican, with the guy with a top hat, just asking for sun stroke, were you? :wink2:

Solberg was pretty spekky, wasn't he?

Not a bad spot.

Stuey