R8 Gordini on Shannons

The difference would mostly be what you can and cannot do yourself. I try and do everything other than upholstery. Not always as successfully as a professional for sure. If the car will sell for a lot due to rarity then I guess one would be prepared to spend more on professional help. My cars will not be concourse quality. If that is what you want then you pay for it and that can cost $50 - 80,000 I guess. But my hobby is working on the cars myself not trailering them around a lot of professionals. Or even paying a tilt bed trucker to even do that much. Then taking the kudos for restoring a car that they haven't laid a spanner on. True restorers are those that take a rusty heap of metal and by their own hand turn it into a show room finished car themselves. Some even to the extent of building the engine and body from scratch. If you want to see true restorers check out the many sites on the internet. This is but one. https://www.facebook.com/groups/867119580122571/?multi_permalinks=1798655300302323
Might have to scroll down a bit but complete Gull wing Mercs, Jaguar XK 150 etc almost from scratch. I guess even home built could cost that much for these cars.
Absolutely agree! I have now spent close to 30k on my G Replica (Alpine motor,big box etc) and I have done everything myself except build the gearbox and fit the windscreens. It will never be concourse and be lucky to be worth 20k if sold as it’s not a G (Although probably a better proposition for most). Bottom line is that you never get your money back...it’s all about the journey

It's all up to the individual. If you like doing everything yourself and want to learn bodywork, mechanicals, electrical and trimming then go for it and enjoy yourself. Your car will never be as good as a proffessional resto but it's your car go ahead.
As for me, I want my 8G finished so I can enjoy it, I know that no matter how good I do the body it wouldn't be as good as a pro and I come from a panel beating back ground. So, I pay to get it done quickly and properly, same with the electrics and other things I'm not confident it.
I have a 403 that owes me over 20k and cost me $1200.
The 8G, being what it is and totally irreplaceable needs to be as good as when Bob Watson and his team finished it in 1970 so it is what it is.
Expensive yes. Value for money 100%
And total rarity value in this instance! Good on you David.

Absolutely agree! I have now spent close to 30k on my G Replica (Alpine motor,big box etc) and I have done everything myself except build the gearbox and fit the windscreens. It will never be concourse and be lucky to be worth 20k if sold as it’s not a G (Although probably a better proposition for most). Bottom line is that you never get your money back...it’s all about the journey
Of course what I'm hoping is that you folk will totally deplete the country of original unmolested R8s, by making all these G Replicas. Then my "ordinary" R8 will be the rarity (probably already is, and certainly so in WA). Then its value won't rise anyway. :( But I enjoy it.

Agree yours may well end up far more usable than a genuine, original G mind you. Like a certain car in the Adelaide Hills - know it?

For many years, 8G's in Europe weren't worth huge money, used hard, pranged, and rusty.
So they were cannibalised for their mechanicals to turn "ordinary" Alpine A110's into A110 1300 G or S.
Australia is now a treasure chest for real 8G's. Good thing is over there at coronavirus land they are unaware.
So let's keep it QUIET!!

I was doing the rust one day a month and it was taking too long. Took it to a guy I know that works at $65/hr including all metal, gas and abrasives. He fitted the new front guards and front panel and two sills and lots of other rust areas. Came to $8K + new panels were 2K. Council are not happy about me painting at home. Paint and bodywork inside and out is going to be $8K. To build up a hot 2L Pinto with 45DCOEs will be $4500. So we are now at $27.5K without suspension, brakes, wheels and interior. It adds up very quickly.

That is what I was asking about. Though with those figures you're at 22.5k not 27.5.

That said, the car in question is not restored, is it?

5 for the car, 2 panels, 8 rust, 8 paint, 4.5 engine, 27.5 so far. Still need rubbers 1k, interior 2.5?, brakes and suspension 2K? The car could certainly be called restored after it is finished.

I was thinking more of the issues with pre-purchase inspection etc. Pretty sure I wouldn't outlay $10K with out a good look, let alone $40K or more...

Cars can be transported interstate, Freight is still moving.

But seriously if anyone interstate was interested there would be Victorians who would happily inspect it and even house is until the buyer can collect.

Pretty sure a longer term former owner (from QLD) used to be on here - May still be. I recall his Christian name but not surname or AF username.

I was asking about the car on auction.

Depends on your definition of restored. The Shannons car is restored but not fully restored. The difference between a restoration and a concourse restoration is about $50,000.
To me that car is the same as mine, not over restored to a point your to scared to drive it.

Depends on your definition of restored. The Shannons car is restored but not fully restored. The difference between a restoration and a concourse restoration is about $50,000.
To me that car is the same as mine, not over restored to a point your to scared to drive it.
Goodness!! And I thought yours was a pretty thorough restoration.....

Looking at the underneath, I wouldn’t describe that as restored at all. Repainted perhaps.

I’m referring to the auction car John, the underneath looked “original” shall we say.
I hoped so, given that David's seems to have some pretty good paint on top. Just being carefully humorous! Mine looks quite original underneath, I'd be the first to admit. Patina, but a bit rough patina in places from Flinders Ranges creek beds.

It'll be an interesting auction.

The two others for sale (not by auction) haven't moved and I gather there have been almost no offers. Chopper Bob's from SA sold eventually and is in Melbourne, I think being fixed up by Auto Paris. Interesting.

Last edited:
The two others for sale (not by auction) haven't moved and I gather there have been almost no offers. Chopper Bob's from SA sold eventually and is in Melbourne, I think being fixed up by Auto Paris. Interesting.
Hi John,
If you are referring to my G being one of the two for sale I took it off the market some time ago. I had plenty of offers and one guy I talked out of buying it for my asking price as I didn't want him to have it for what he was going to use it for, or was it because I really didn't want to sell it? The main reason for removing it from sale is there was far to much of my blood spilled during the restoration and I didn't like the thought of someone else driving my car (much to my wife's dismay). The G will stay with me until my wife or kids sell it after I'm gone.

Hi John,
If you are referring to my G being one of the two for sale I took it off the market some time ago. I had plenty of offers and one guy I talked out of buying it for my asking price as I didn't want him to have it for what he was going to use it for, or was it because I really didn't want to sell it? The main reason for removing it from sale is there was far to much of my blood spilled during the restoration and I didn't like the thought of someone else driving my car (much to my wife's dismay). The G will stay with me until my wife or kids sell it after I'm gone.
Thanks Paul. That's clear. I'm glad you are keeping it! See you in Yass. It's all bitter-sweet isn't it. :)

I'd slit my wrists before I sold my R8.

Paul and John.
Don't think i will ever sell my 8G.
Too much fluids spilled for it.
Good news for me is that my wife will probably use it as a daily fun driver.
Lucky me!