R8 droop straps

My opinion, no way, for the reasons stated in my post. It will snap in an instant, but hey, its your life, your decision.
Its OK if you don't drive it, the ride height looks right.

I just had the same issue with Mecaparts straps and luckily my A110 had not been anywhere. Bunnings and Rubyalpine solution is I have used.

I think you got those from me and yes they were hand cut from conveyor belting. If you look at the original securing washers ( 2 per fixing) they have deep circular grooves machined in them to afford better clamping than a standard Bunnings flat washer. That could be why Pauls new straps broke, wrong washers..

Amaters;

My Floride straps made from conveyor strapping lasted ten years while I owned it and as far as I know they are still going strong. I repeat that you need the correct washers with the circular grooves which are intended to spread the load and not just rely on the bolt hole to do all the work. I don't have any of the washers in my possession but I'd suggest you have a look at them. They are made of thicker steel than the garden variety washer so that they don't go cone shaped when you do them up because, uhm, the straps are soft and will encourage a thin washer to distort.

c.png

Last edited:
What would the real "Aussiefrogs" Engineering Dept recommend

Bush Mechanics would recommend High Tensile washers, like those under your headbolts

A variation on the conveyer belt solution is (similar) drive belting. Being available in 50 mm wide, it doesn't require cutting. It's my current fitment on the two RERs. And I agree with Graham that one wants to spread the "pinching" load.

For a road car, I recommend the R8G 330 mm length.

Apprentice thought.........A nylock might be a good idea so not to squeeze the life out of the belt and have a secure nut not come loose..

I make my own. I have access to ribbed aluminium and cut them out with a hole saw. Any size you want and 6mm thick. The ribs push into the straps and because of the big area it will hold up well.
I could make a few if you want.

IMG_1347.jpeg

IMG_1348.jpeg

Sent from my phone so I don’t know how the quality or size is.

Regards. Frans.

When the straps become loaded there must be some spreading force trying to pull the straps apart where they are fastened.
Does the bottom edge of the washer take the force and cut into the strap?
If a washer of reasonable size spreads the clamping force over a good area perhaps an edge rolled up to give a radius that would not cut the fabric.
Some 25 x 4mm steel with the bottom edge curled out would give a lot of clamping force without distorting too much (maybe)
This very rough sketch might show what I am having trouble explaining.

Edit: I have just seen Frans' post above. Perhaps my scale is wrong - everything should be larger. My thought about the edge cutting in still seems valid.

Attachments

• washer shape.JPG
    washer shape.JPG
    9.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited: