R17 Door Stays - suggestions needed

Alby

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
I'm getting close to putting the body back together on my R17 TS. So started getting into a bit of detail on the door hinges and opening stays which are a strange spring metal arrangement I don't recall seeing on any other cars. Maybe R12's or 16's had them?

I've attached a photo of my door stays & you'll see one is broken off & while the one on the hinge is complete, its very rusty so may not last long. The R17 detailed parts book I have doesn't even list a part number for these stays & I'm pretty sure they are not available to buy anywhere. I can't see how I could make them either.

If anyone has a couple of these lying around that they don't want to keep, please let me know. Alternatively, I'm sure other aussiefrog members must have come across this in the past. Does anyone have any suggestions of some other workable stay arrangement?

Cheers
Alby
Door Stays.jpg

Wow John, Great find. You're a better researcher than me! will order them tonight & see how they go.

Yeah, I know Arnaud Ventoux Parts. Bought most of my parts from them, partly because their postage is really quick (& the parts are good). Couldn't find the door stays on their site though, nor on any of the other suppliers I've dealt with.

The other tricky one has been the rear side window rubbers. There's a mob now reproducing them but their website only lists shipping within Europe. I've written to them twice without a response but its all fairly new so just tried again. Fingers crossed unless you've found another alternative

Which rubber exactly?
The curved fixed body rubber that has the felt against the window. Leads from the gutter down to the door?
Or the small window rubber with chrome strip that seals against the doors windows?

This one, which comes down the outside of the small wind down window & has a front part that goes around the front of the window & pop rivets to the body at the top of the door jambIMG_0641.png

Pretty sure that’s the first one you described
Yes. Mine are good but the small detail rubber at the bottom of these are gone. I fashioned some from Clarke rubber bits. they came up well. But I will do some fresh ones again.
Splits in yours?
Where did you see these? Link please?

This is the company producing & selling them. Apparently all organised in conjunction with Amicale. Following link is to a forum page discussing them:

Yes I remember them being offered by the forum. I never went much further than looked.
I just logged into the forum and posted a request for us!
well see

Well getting 2 requests from Australia within 48 hours might just wake them up!!

By the way, same thing happened when I tried to buy the door stays you put me on to. Site wouldn’t let me progress past country which didn’t include Australia. Have sent them a request too

Still driving the tractors home from the protests

Did you activate Google translate on the sites address to navigate or do read French?

You may need to remind me to check the correspondence from our french buddies Alby. I'm away for a week in tas but will try log on with the pocket phone

Heard back regarding the door stay springs. Sounds like they have no problem sending to Australia so should be on their way soon. Haven't heard from the window rubber people at all.

Re you other question John, I used to be able to make my way through written french a bit but now I have google translate set to automatically translate for me. Much easier & simpler!

Reactions: COL
Morning from cloudy Battery Point, Hobart. I may try my stay springs on another old door before on the fresh painted doors in due course.

Haha, good idea. Your restoration is extremely thorough & very well done so good precaution!
Got confirmation this morning that my stay springs are on the way.

I'm on the way to Mathoura up on the Murray River today. Will be staying in a cabin by the river for 3 or 4 days, so little mobile coverage so I guess we'll both be checking for updates whenever we're in the right location.

Enjoy, Tassy, love that place.

Morning from Battery Point. Driving a Yaris to Launceston today and staying at a cottage on Balfour St. Wedding tomorrow at Waterton Estate on Tamar in strict cocktail dress code. Different from woodwork clothes.:LOL:
I tried making some of those springs and rollers myself and failed. Original would have a two stage indent to hold door at different positions.