Pug 308 EB2DTS: rough idle, vibration, loss of power

ah - so not a Prince motor - would be good to change the title of this thread so people don't get confused - like this whole thread was anyway.

I stayed away from the Puretech because of the oil-bath rubber belt. What a ridiculous idea that was. Slap me for buying an EP6FDT but I've got my fingers firmly crossed that the later EP6's are 'better'......

Cheers

Justin

That engine is toast bits of belt will be in the bearings oil pickup everywhere don't pay to fix that turbo you have a much bigger issue

Thanks all. Not sure why the "like" button isn't available for me.

I've asked the moderators to update the thread title.

@dmccurtayne - we have cleaned the engine, sump, did a flush, etc. I am sure the sludge/ bits have been cleaned off and it is just this turbo that remains seized now. But nonetheless, what do you recommend? Take it in for another detailed inspection?

Thanks.

My guess is that blocked oil lines / supply stopped oil flow to the turbo and cooked it. It probably ran without proper oil flow for too long although you don't mention any oil pressure related fault codes ? It would be interesting to pull the turbo apart and look inside for sure. Not sure how you flush bits of rubber out of engine bearings and oilways. It would also be interesting to open up the cam housing and see if there is any heat damage or scoring to the cams.

Cheers

Justin

My guess is that blocked oil lines / supply stopped oil flow to the turbo and cooked it. It probably ran without proper oil flow for too long although you don't mention any oil pressure related fault codes ? It would be interesting to pull the turbo apart and look inside for sure. Not sure how you flush bits of rubber out of engine bearings and oilways. It would also be interesting to open up the cam housing and see if there is any heat damage or scoring to the cams.

Cheers

Justin
Hello Justin.

Cylinder head was removed and cleaned at the workshop.

No, there are absolutely no fault codes at all. I was expecting boost/ pressure related codes, but absolutely nothing.

I am eager to pull the turbo apart to investigate it further but I first need to shop for a replacement and have it ready to be installed. Should I look for the entire unit or just the cartridge? I know its difficult to answer without pulling out the existing (seized) turbo, so well.. lets see how far I can get...

for too long

You are correct. This problem started (albeit not so severe back then and barely noticeable) on 13th December 2020 after a change of spark plugs. I took it back immediately but they said this is normal and the engine needs some time to "learn" and that it will be normal back again soon. I started working from home afterwards, didn't drive much and kept ignoring the problem until now after I realised severe vibrations and loss of power. I must've done may be 8 kays since December 2020 till date. During interim services, I've been given various recommendations - from a carbon clean, changing the passenger side drive shaft, etc. but never been told about looking into the turbo (I guess because no fault codes were thrown for a possible turbo failure).

Downloaded a REC-001136-VIN-List-1.xlsx (JZR VIN list - ACCC - Vehicle Recalls) from https://www.vehiclerecalls.gov.au/ and sure enough my VIN is listed in there. Isn't Peugeot supposed to contact me or the regular 6-monthly servicing be taking care of this?

Either way, turbo upgrade, new dump pipe, intercooler.... Let's see what the 1.2 can do.

Are you saying your car didn't have the JZR recall done? Did the dealer tell you it hadn't been done ?

I checked a recall on one of my pugs with Peugeot and they were able to quickly tell me it had been done. It needed some new wishbone bolts which I was glad to hear had been installed !

Cheers

Justin

In all seriousness, if that recall hasn't been done and Peugeot have not contacted you the you could argue that the cause of turbo failure could be linked to this.

That engine is toast bits of belt will be in the bearings oil pickup everywhere don't pay to fix that turbo you have a much bigger issue

This is sound advice. The turbo oil feed banjo might be obstructed, hence the apparently failed turbo. Was the oil strainer gauze still in place or distorted? At this point you need to contact a dealer for the JZR recall (I'm assuming it remains outstanding) and explain what you have done and see if they can help you now. Also send them your photos and fault codes. You should be able to get a loan car for this recall, but it doesn't address the head clean issues.

You are at least the second owner from your earlier comments. If you haven't received a recall letter, then Peugeot probably do not know you are the owner because nobody has told them. In time they would have found you as they chase up stragglers via the registration info. That recall list tells you the affected VINs, but doesn't tell you whether the check and/or repairs have been completed at a recent dealer visit.
There is a form on their website to update the owner info ...
https://www.peugeot.com.au/aftersales-services/customer-services/customer-change-of-details/

Are you saying your car didn't have the JZR recall done? Did the dealer tell you it hadn't been done ?

I checked a recall on one of my pugs with Peugeot and they were able to quickly tell me it had been done. It needed some new wishbone bolts which I was glad to hear had been installed !

Cheers

Justin
No, I had never heard of this term "JZR" before, it is only on page#3 of this thread that I came to know about it, did some googling and landed on a spreadsheet which has my VIN number on it.

This is sound advice. The turbo oil feed banjo might be obstructed, hence the apparently failed turbo. Was the oil strainer gauze still in place or distorted? At this point you need to contact a dealer for the JZR recall (I'm assuming it remains outstanding) and explain what you have done and see if they can help you now. Also send them your photos and fault codes. You should be able to get a loan car for this recall, but it doesn't address the head clean issues.

You are at least the second owner from your earlier comments. If you haven't received a recall letter, then Peugeot probably do not know you are the owner because nobody has told them. In time they would have found you as they chase up stragglers via the registration info. That recall list tells you the affected VINs, but doesn't tell you whether the check and/or repairs have been completed at a recent dealer visit.
There is a form on their website to update the owner info ...
https://www.peugeot.com.au/aftersales-services/customer-services/customer-change-of-details/
Thank you David. I am not going to do anything myself now. I have written to Peugeot about this.