Pug 206 GTI 180 driving impressions

Rob E

Fellow Frogger
G’day All,

Have been looking into picking up a GTI 180 in the near future. Headed down to see Dwyer @ Autosports on Saturday and took his black 180 for a test drive. I wont comment on QC and that stuff as I didn’t have time enough to have a REAL good look. I can however comment on the driving experience.

Random Comments as below

1. No problem with Pedal placement or driving position…..still slightly “ape-ish” but not uncomfortable. Excellent field of vision from drivers seat, though the side mirrors
are quite small.

2. Brakes - VERY Strong. The 180 runs 307 brakes which are very strong in that car…….put them into a vehicle considerably lighter and they offer
Huge stopping power. Initial bite isn’t huge but lay on them harder and Whooaah!.......very impressive.

3. Gear change – quite precise. Light action and light clutch. Managed to catch the 1-2 synchro out on a fast change (hopefully that was my error) First gear seems
too tall to suit local conditions and this engine – more on that later.

4. Handling, sharp and reassuring. Exhibits lift off oversteer which is needed in sporting front wheeler. Ride is very smooth and comfortable. I reckon the Peugeot suspension guys have got it right here. Grip from the P7000’s is excellent and I cant see many people troubling the electronic aids in even spirited driving.

5. Engine – response is really dulled by the super tall first gear – this is a 75+km/h gear, and the engine is only making 200nm or thereabouts. You will get blown away by Magna wagons at the lights. Once moving it’s a different story, the engine pulls strongly once over 40km/h or so. In the 180 second gear will do where most cars will use third. Rally vehicles are notoriously slow off the mark with very tall 1st years owing to plenty of hairpin action. I don’t think this translates well to daily driving in local conditions. Engine sounds good, with a nice induction note and a good exhaust note. Neither are too loud, certainly not boyracer style.

In summary it’s a very nice machine, However I wouldn’t think it would be much quicker than the 206 GTI around town, the 180 is only pumping out another 15nm and lugging a further 50kgs. The super tall 1st gear IS an issue. Would I buy one?……well, I’ll be thinking about it ;)

Hope the above is of some interest.

Cheers
Rob

Thanks for sharing Rob. That's interesting reading.

What other cars are you considering? RS Clio? Cooper S? ST170? Astra Turbo?

G'day GTI124, None of the above actually. I reckon the rest are as boring as b@tshit - Well except for the Clio which looks way too plain jane for me.

I reckon its going to be a Pug 206 GTI , 180 or standard, im just not sure yet. My current "fun" car is a Heavily modded turbo MX5 (160 rwkw - 950kgs) so i have to prepare myself for a step down in power, not a step down in fun though!

Im actually leaning a little towards the standard GTI with a few mods at this stage. Purely bolt on stuff (Intake / Cat back / Koni + Eibach , Good pads/ rotors) so the car can be returned to OEM come sale time....i've learnt my lesson the hard way ;)

I think there will be more negotiability in the Standard GTI price as they are in stock at most dealerships.....and the resale will kill the 180. Another point vis a vis resale - Dont buy a new Magna ;) - Another hard learnt lesson!

Cheers
Rob

A 75+kph first gear sounds hugely tall...... :eek:

These modern 120+kw NA 4cyl engines are fluffy/unresponsive enough below 2500-3000rpm without needing to be geared up to their eyeballs, only to highlight that fact....

Good advice about Magnas, that's pretty common knowledge though. Don't buy a Saab either! hehe.

I'm a big fan of the ST170 and I'd recommend taking one out just to experience it. It's very similar to the GTi6 which I had previously.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the normal GTI donk, it's nothing overly impressive. But, I'm judging that on it's performance in a 307.

Good luck anyway. Have a look in the Announcements section, it'd be cool if you could make it to the picnic/BBQ...even with your MX5, which I'm sure a lot of us would love to see...I for one!

_ Lincoln

Nice review, Rob, and a nice dilemma for you to have.

The 180's 1st gear is nominally rated as 60km/h. That's different enough from the "standard" GTi to be attractive, even if the first hundred or so meters on the way there doesn't sound like quite as much fun.

Other present 206 GTi drivers reviewing it on 206gti.net specifically applaud the 1-2 shift, which is -- how to put this? :rolleyes: -- perhaps not the best feature of an unmodified 100kW car (without a QS).

:peugeot: MY99 206 GTi
:renault: Clio 1.4L auto

Thanks for the Invite Lincoln, with any luck the MX5 will be sold by next weekend though. I would be keen to come along in the rapidly depreciating magna if i can fit it in though :)

I reckon the standard 206GTI engine looks to be a reasonably torquey bugger, With only small gains to be had from intake & exhaust (dont get me wrong, will be doing these anyway!) I think the biggest gains will happen through setting up the chassis. For example it should be straightforward to get a standard GTI handling as well if not better than a GTI 180 (less weight too!)

I'll be looking in to getting a Koni/Eibach set up from the UK. I'll go the Koni yellows,have found them to be a great shock for similar weight cars. (MX5s)....Not completely sure how to set up a car with torsion bar so thats something i will look into :)
The other thing is, wack on some better tyres - Hint: P7000s or even some Azenis for some real sticking power :)

Does the French Car community get into motorsport at all? Supersprints,Motokhana etc? I think that a well set up 206 would surprise a lot of people on a motokhana (autocross) course ;)

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Rob

mr bern said:

The 180's 1st gear is nominally rated as 60km/h. That's different enough from the "standard" GTi to be attractive, even if the first hundred or so meters on the way there doesn't sound like quite as much fun.

Other present 206 GTi drivers reviewing it on 206gti.net specifically applaud the 1-2 shift, which is -- how to put this? :rolleyes: -- perhaps not the best feature of an unmodified 100kW car (without a QS).

G'day Mr.Bern, im pretty sure i saw a clean 70 on the speedo in first. The salesman who accompanied me told me that Dwyer (dealer principal) has seen 80km/h. Re shift quality, my recent fun cars (as aside from work magna auto) have been MX5s....i guess i've been spoiled as as far as gear boxes go. :) ...Overall the Gearbox in the 180 is a nice one.

Either way, its just too tall for that little torque. I will be interested to see how many clutches need replacing under warranty as people work out they need to side step these things at 6000rpm to get them moving ;)

mr bern said:

by the sounds of it, if the normal GTI has a 60kph 1st gear, most of the extra 15kph (assuming the 180's 75kph) would be gained through the higher redline......so perhaps the actual difference isn't all the much......

Maybe the 180 has lost some of the normal GTI's bottom end?

Oh that's a shame. I'd love to see th MX5, how does it compare to the MX5 SP? Sorry, we do this on AF, we tend to tangent a bit!

Come down in the Magna if you can, please try and RSVP through a post in the thread so we know how much to cater for. Cheers.

Does the French Car community get into motorsport at all? Supersprints,Motokhana etc? I think that a well set up 206 would surprise a lot of people on a motokhana (autocross) course ;)

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Rob[/QUOTE]

The Peugeot Club in Victoria is into circuit sprints, hillclimbs and
motorkhanas. The owners of earlier RWD models can also copmpete in rallies.

Graham Walis

GTI124 said:
Oh that's a shame. I'd love to see th MX5, how does it compare to the MX5 SP? Sorry, we do this on AF, we tend to tangent a bit!

Come down in the Magna if you can, please try and RSVP through a post in the thread so we know how much to cater for. Cheers.

Happy to talk about the '5

Well in a straight line it absolutely kills an SP. To give you an idea on the same dyno an SP puts down 115rwkw to my 155-160. I am running 14-15 psi though ;)...........Oh, and its 150kgs lighter too and i have a torsen LSD.

The car should run a very low 13 sec, high 12 sec (with sticky rubber) quarter mile. The car was not built as a drag racer though. On a circuit On the same rubber my car is pretty much line ball with an SP. The NB series cars have better brakes and an generally easier to drive. Give us both race rubber and my car should be quicker, seeing as it can put its power down better. this is a moot point as i have only ever put the car on the track with Yokie A539s.

Its got all the good stuff, uprated chassis, brakes, cooling etc.

Will let you know viz. the BBQ - If i can make it i will confirm.

Cheers
Rob

Rob E said:
I'll be looking in to getting a Koni/Eibach set up from the UK. I'll go the Koni yellows,have found them to be a great shock for similar weight cars. (MX5s)....Not completely sure how to set up a car with torsion bar so thats something i will look into :)
The other thing is, wack on some better tyres - Hint: P7000s or even some Azenis for some real sticking power :)

Rob

Hi Rob,

I took a gti180 for a short test drive last week as well, and my thoughts were very similar to yours. It really felt slow off the mark in first gear ... different story past 4500 revs in second :D

I've got eibachs on my car with the standard dampers. i think these cope pretty well with the lowered ride height (-30mm). The ride is a lot firmer than the gti 180.

ps. i don't think falken make the azenis tyre in a 205/45/16.

luan

lucin said:
I've got eibachs on my car with the standard dampers. i think these cope pretty well with the lowered ride height (-30mm). The ride is a lot firmer than the gti 180.

ps. i don't think falken make the azenis tyre in a 205/45/16.

luan

So you beleive that the OEM shocks are up to controlling the Eibachs?
Often i have found that its very easy to overpower an OEM damper with firmer springs, Also,heard of problems with shortened springs with full length shock bodies... Interesting - could be worth just picking up the front eibachs and adjusting the torsion bar? Maybe worth a shot.

Perhaps they dont make 205/45/16 - im pretty sure they have 205/50 or 215/45 - What is the OEM rim width on a 206 GTI ?

Cheers
Rob

I have an article about the design of the GTI 180. It was done by the same man who made the 205 gti unforgettable (exit stage left), unfortunately he says peugeot wouldnt allow him to make "nice" handling, but he did the best he could without attracting the peugeot lawyers. ;)

The Gti 180 has a serious edge over the standard gti, and i dont know if they have different suspension geometry, but this article points to "yes, yes they do".

I can scan it up for ya'll (the article, that is).

Cubits said:
I have an article about the design of the GTI 180. It was done by the same man who made the 205 gti unforgettable (exit stage left), unfortunately he says peugeot wouldnt allow him to make "nice" handling, but he did the best he could without attracting the peugeot lawyers. ;)

The Gti 180 has a serious edge over the standard gti, and i dont know if they have different suspension geometry, but this article points to "yes, yes they do".

I can scan it up for ya'll (the article, that is).

Cubits.....you know the answer to that question...

POST IT !!! :)

BW205 said:
Lincoln:

Please don't tell me you don't have your '6 anymore :eek: :(

Cheers
Billy

Billy, I haven't had the GTi6 since February last year. My partner got in when we seperated. We're still great friends so I see it and drive it fairly often. The first and last track day I did at Wakefield was in March...so, as you can see, I'm still allowed to indulge in it every once in a while!

Mr. Bouillet, creator of the 306 gti (and its funky rear suspension that deforms to eliminate over oversteer), 205 gti, 405 Mi16, 309 gti, and now the 206 gti 180.

I guess we can all agree that this man has had an amazing career!

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

DTwo said:
by the sounds of it, if the normal GTI has a 60kph 1st gear, most of the extra 15kph (assuming the 180's 75kph) would be gained through the higher redline

There's no doubting that it's lost some bottom-end pull -- there's a thread on 206gti.net discussing that very subject as I write this.

First is the same ratio as the GTi6's (2.923 vs the "standard" 206 GTi's 3.455), others are unchanged, but I stand by my recollection that top in first on the standard model is something much more like 55. And that's where mine redlined :eek: when I went out in it for lunch ... if you want to make a standard 206 GTi do 60 in first, just make sure you do it in somebody else's ... THAT's part of the reason why you'd buy a 180, and why the 180's recognized as such a welcome change in this dimension.