Pug 205 - Redo from start

PeterT,

Thanks for the info
What i was trying to say was that the former heat treatment will be lost when the material is added by tig welding the aluminium head.
Even if the whole head is stripped and everything is replaced the head will loose most of the factory heat treatment.
I talked to some WIA welding engineers in the states (These guys r the best they get paid well over 5-7000 a month dollars for there knowledge)
I explained to them i was training in the best aviation facility in Australia and that i am interested in welding aluminium heads.
They told me it depends on how much welding or modifying is to be done.
If resurfacing is done to improve the head
The head must be normalised after welding
And then further heatreated after that to factory specs and then (The machining will follow that)
I did know i needed an oven and such so i put it on hold.
They elaberated even more but i cut it short
They stated the head will work harden by regular driving (But by the time it does you valve seats and guides will shift)
They let me know that if you don't want a scrap head you will have to go through the above process
hope some of this helps.

Murat

Murat, you're right is has to be aged hardened. This can be done two ways.
1. Leave it on the shelf for 12 months.
2. Stick it in your oven on 165 deg. for 4 days.
Beautiful!

PeterT - Tony (Dangermouse) hasn't replied yet as he is still getting his 205gti ready for the road (it's been stored in a shed for a long while.)

Got it started fairly easily yesterday (replaced battery, started on 3rd crank!), but he'll be down there for a few more days yet prepping it for a blue slip.

You mentioned you wanted keen volunteers, he is keen and he'll be in touch with you as soon as he's back. Is it feasible to get something going relatively quickly? A month or two?

Cheers,
Adrian

Two months is probably achievable. I suggest Tony contacts me by email to arrange a meeting.

how much power is there to b had by higher compression and a different cam?????
r the figures worth it???
and wot woudl the cost b?

Hey hey - I'm back...started a new job and had to fly to california for a bit :)

So - the results of the 205 testing were somewhat displeasing...compression testing revealed a badly worn motor: stem seals cactus, rings/liners cactus, nasty valve train noises, exhaust system dead (and stinky). Seems to be some evidence of a fairly unbalanced motor too - there is a definite wear curve with cyl #1 the worst tested. Interesting popping sound coming from cyl#2 during compression testing...don't know if it's piston slap of some kind, a valve getting nailed or what (no plug in place at the time, so doubt it's any form of ignition).

There is also some evidence of dodgy-bros mechanical work - "I wonder what this bolt does? Dunno, lets chuck it away."

At the moment I'm looking at either a full rebuild or a transplant - at the moment I'm thinking transplant...freshly installed Mi16 motor with some warranty and scope for power/torque mods :)

Well - looks like I'm shopping for a workshop - I've heard reports that esscargo do a reasonable job...anyone have any reports from the coalface? I suspect the workshop will have to be sydney based unless there are some very good reasons to go interstate.

Cheers,

Tony