PSA car radios

DoubleChevron

Real cars have hydraulics
VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
Has anyone succesfully fitted a head unit that works ok to a modern PSA vehicle....... er, actually, "older" PSA vehicle (modern compared to my cars).

the C2 has a crap radio, and the 407 had no rear sensors and a screen that disappears when warm. I'm thinking especialy for the C2 ... a head unit that connects to the phone would be good. That way when my daughter is driving, if she uses google maps she wont be trying to read screens, the cars sound system will just supply the directions through the car stereo (its magic in the shitbox range rover that I fitted the cheapest bluetooth stereo to I could find).

seeya
Shane L.

With the c2 does it have the later radio ie not like a 206 if so you can get a rd45 that has Bluetooth looks exactly the same but adds blue tooth and usb playing you need to get the newer mfd display.
With the 407 an android unit will work fine I’ve fitted a few I will link both below and will also replace the old screen.

AU $103.50 16% Off | Red monitor + RD45 car radio CD player supports Bluetooth AUX USB MP3 for Citroen C3 C4 C5 for Peugeot 207 206 307 308 807

AU $326.81 | WITSON Android 10 CAR STEREO GPS For PEUGEOT 407 car dvd player 1080P HD Mirror Link/TPMS/DVR/OBD/4G modem support

Shop around for better prices

20220430_151942.jpg

not sure about the radio... its an early car with seperate climate control.

For the c2 then I would just go a single din aftermarket unit or a cheap double din CarPlay one very cheap on the usual sites you will most likely lose steering control without spending big.

For the c2 then I would just go a single din aftermarket unit or a cheap double din CarPlay one very cheap on the usual sites you will most likely lose steering control without spending big.
Oh .... it isn't integrated .... well that is really simple. I'm not going to show her that tiny little buttons on the end of the stalk for the radio. I could never imagine anyone using them! that radio you have linked sounds perfect :dance:

actually .... I think I need the RD45 kit.

c2stereo.jpg

The stereo is integrated into the display. if I remove it you will probably loose access to the displays functions.

Like the old free updates Garmin that much that I found a cubby hole that it fits into really well in the Kangoo, reckon I can pop the panel at the bottom of the hole and likely find a ready made power supply. Just needs a new 'sub panel' to accommodate the Garmin, USB power outlet, the seat belts reminder and maybe squeeze in an analogue clock - already have the USB socket, including a voltmeter. Don't need a fancy android whatsit.... :)
The Garmin is useless on it's suction cup windscreen attachment, keeps falling off ! Great in the cubby hole though... :)
It accepts voice commands, dunno if it talks to you though - later units might, mine is about five years old.
Bob

My Tom Tom GPS falls off the windscreen unless I breathe on the suction cup prior to clamping it on.

she's 18years old. the phone does everything :ROFLMAO: Separate GPS? I've never used one .... she's probably never heard of such a thing. They play music through there phone. I doubt my kids have ever even played a CD. bluetooth really is ideal for cars.

Back to the radio! Seems to me that most modern cars have crap MW radios, perhaps because AM radio has become so much less used with FM being the standard in densely settled countries (unlike ours). My 6V 1960 Motorola radio in the Renault 4CV is much better in Perth than the Scenic's AM band, which is terrible on "the freeway" because of interference from the electric power to the railway line. AM is an addition to the Scenic but the only band on the Motorola, a pretty good radio, if one band. It is transistorised except for one big valve for the amplifier. Have to love it!!

Digital is poor around town too - patchy reception.

I have installed a Joying 7" android head unit into my C5 x7. Simple install, includes reverse camera, front dvr, apple car play and android auto. Plan to move to a 10" unit soon. The std car features are integrated using a canbus module.

I have installed a Joying 7" android head unit into my C5 x7. Simple install, includes reverse camera, front dvr, apple car play and android auto. Plan to move to a 10" unit soon. The std car features are integrated using a canbus module.

Did you install a camera yourself? The 407 here is the only 407/C5 I've ever seen that doesn't have reverse sensors or cameras .... it does feature the "disappearing" screen though :)

Did you install a camera yourself? The 407 here is the only 407/C5 I've ever seen that doesn't have reverse sensors or cameras .... it does feature the "disappearing" screen though :)
Yes, I installed the rear and front DVR camera myself.

AU $82.86 29% Off | JIULUNET 2 Din Carplay Wireless Android Auto Car Radio Universal 7 INCH Multimedia Player GPS Android Audio Navigation
I have just installed one like that in my Subaru Forest. $110. Does everything. It is hot spotted to the phone, which is mounted on the screen. I am very happy indeed with it.

One caveat is that the audio output isn't particularly strong. I see Banggood etc are selling "DSPs" for Android car radios, which are essentially just amplifiers, so I get the impression weak audio output might be typical. It is quite useable, but if one wants to impress other car drivers with the incredible bass on your uber cool R&B pop music, it might need a boost. And, Lord knows, other car drivers all want to share in my impeccable taste in dance music.....

The other issue I found was that the hole in the original Subaru fascia wasn't quite big enough for the after market job. By measurements, that was because the original unit wasn't actually DIN dimensions. That may be the case with other manufacturers integrated units? So I bought a used one and cut it bigger with a dremel. Which isn't really a problem, and isn't noticeable, but some more sensative types might baulk at hacking into the plastic work.

Despite earlier comments, the old Garmin is now starting to avoid it's responsibilities.... :(
We need a "unit" to take over GPS job and reversing camera, the Kangoo has no reversing camera fitted but there looks to be a drayload of alternatives on Aliexpress - more electronics specs confusion, like the way they slot them into the number plate lamp box BUT that spot is not at the center line of the car, will that affect the guidelines thing ?
Kangoo radio is as adequate as a van radio can be expected to be....
Phones here are Android based.
Bob

I have a dumb question.... The boss womens poogoe she just collected. I'm trying to connect to the bluetooth and it requires a pin. If a previous owner has set a pin, does this mean we are locked out ?

got it ... you need to select the phone on the car first ... and the car will prompt you for a code .... then your phone will want that code. the hard bit is getting your phone to "forget" the wrong code already tried. Its burried deep in the menus. I needed google to find it.