Peugeot with a diesel powered car at le Mans, it's official!!!!!

Oil vs Petroleum

BDG said:
85% of the cars made & sold by PEUGEOT worldwide are diesel fueled & powered. Just wait until Peugeot tackle F1 with a Diesel ,of which will be not to long! :) :) :) :cancan:

BDG,

Where did you get your 85% figure from. I would be interested to read your source.

My HDi is great to drive and gets around 17 Klms per litre on average. I am sure I could improve upon that figure with an interstate trip.

I am keen to see what the next generation of Diesel engine will produce.

The only down side at the moment is the price of Diesel, however, I am willing to pay the <20% difference when I am getting nearly twice the economy of an Australian six.

I would love to know why diesel is dearer than petrol, yes I know that there has been an increase in the quality, therefore the production cost and that there is currently less demand for diesel. This does not answer the fact that petrol is more highly refined than diesel.

Go Diesel

Pooh306 said:
BDG,

I would love to know why diesel is dearer than petrol,
Go Diesel

I heard because of the greatly increased demand lately in the Asian market.

One of those 2L HDi 307's with a Quaife ATB would be a fantastic vehicle.

The crude oil on which the pricing is based for petroleum products in australia ,is what in the oil business known as light crude ,which is not suitable for lube oil ,diesel ,or heating oil production . And as our prices are governed by world parity pricing ,we pay what the oil companies pay on the world market. Speak to your local sitting parlimentarian about this problem , liberal or labour. The % of cars on diesel production ,came directly from PEUGEOT in FRANCE.

And Petrol???

BDG said:
The crude oil on which the pricing is based for petroleum products in australia ,is what in the oil business known as light crude ,which is not suitable for lube oil ,diesel ,or heating oil production . And as our prices are governed by world parity pricing ,we pay what the oil companies pay on the world market. Speak to your local sitting parlimentarian about this problem , liberal or labour. The % of cars on diesel production ,came directly from PEUGEOT in FRANCE.

You didn't include "petrol" in the products light crude is not suitable for, so I guess petrol is refined from light crude? Is this correct? I am trying to ascertain approximately what % of our petrol is obtained from Australian oil fields - just for interest - as I think the parity pricing is a crock - it makes Australia party to the OPEC cartel, and I always thought cartels were illegal in this country - but obviously not when it comes to big profits for thr oil companies.
On re-reading your post, I realise you are not saying that light crude is from Australia, but that our pricing is based on light crude (from anywhere).
But would you happen to know the answer to my query ( ie, % of our petrol obtained from local sources?).

Cheers.

gti138 said:
Wasnt that the one that was running on bio-diesel? I vaguely remember something about last years LeMans and a diesel powered car running.

I know that several teams have entered diesel cars in the Nurburgring 24 hrs - or possibly the spa 24 hours. One was a team headed by the Luff's from Sydney. I think it was a diesel powered pug (306?) or maybe a golf.

A diesel Golf ran second to an M3 at Nurburing 10 or 12 years ago, but more interestingly a Cummins diesel powered car got pole at the 1952 Indianapolis and very nearly won the race. Track debris in the turbo intake put it out of action.

Terry

I hope Peugeot kick butt with it. But the rules will no doubt be changed to exclude it if they do - like what happened when Mazda whipped everyone with the quad rotor wankel car they ran at Le Mans a couple of years ago :rolleyes:

Haakon said:
I hope Peugeot kick butt with it. But the rules will no doubt be changed to exclude it if they do - like what happened when Mazda whipped everyone with the quad rotor wankel car they ran at Le Mans a couple of years ago :rolleyes:

Yep but that was an single exception. Remember that basics are same on the gasoline and diesel engine.

What if they had messed some coefficent to calculate engine size or weight or something else and that was calculated wrong? It gave too much advantage on one engine type...

Remember when 2wd normally aspirated Citroen Xsara Maxi's beat 4wd turbos on two WRC dry asphalt rallies. On the regulations the weight was calculated wrong for the front wheel driven F2-class and they beated WRC-cars which wasn't what FIA wanted...

Well I still enjoyed when that happened. Beacuse I dislike subarus...

CHRI'S16 said:
Great news... but this Diesel develpoment is taking much longer than I thought and wanted. I still don't see any current (mass production) car in Turbo Diesel that in stock will outperform its petrol counterpart.
When will deisel tech really kick a real life goal, i hope its not far away. - Chris

I think that you'll find that this has already taken place. VW UK sell two variants of the Golf GTi. Number one is the similar to what Aust. customers receive, the second is a turbo diesel with identical features but (obviously) a turbo diesel motor. Same capacity as the petrol, but the TDi is (from memory) about .6 seconds faster 0-100.
I read this a while ago so I'm not sure if we're going to get it, but it is on sale elsewhere in EU.

Last year in Germany (France, Italy and Belgium were similar) price for petrol was around EUR 1.30 /litre and diesel was going for around EUR 0.90 /litre. Diesel has always been much cheaper in those countries than petrol for years.