Peugeot with a diesel powered car at le Mans, it's official!!!!!

Pugster

Fellow Frogger
Hi,

News just in...

Peugeot will prepare a HDI+FAP powered Supercar during year 2006 in order to run the 2007 sport cars championship+ le Mans(and win it)!!!

Amazing news after their retirement of the WRC!!! :headbang: :headbang:

Sounds good, I've always liked sports cars but we dont get much of them here in Aust.
Keep posting developments please.

Cheers.

those crazy french :tongue: should be very interesting indeed.. if not hopefully drive performance diesel stuff in to main stream a little more.. :approve:

Great news... but this Diesel develpoment is taking much longer than I thought and wanted. I still don't see any current (mass production) car in Turbo Diesel that in stock will outperform its petrol counterpart.
When will deisel tech really kick a real life goal, i hope its not far away. - Chris

CHRI'S16 said:
Great news... but this Diesel develpoment is taking much longer than I thought and wanted. I still don't see any current (mass production) car in Turbo Diesel that in stock will outperform its petrol counterpart.
When will deisel tech really kick a real life goal, i hope its not far away. - Chris

The BMW 530 diesel is more than a match for the petrol version

kiwi 03 said:
The BMW 530 diesel is more than a match for the petrol version
Really, BMW here don't seem to think so. And is that the 530 petrol in the same capacity??? So why didn't they use deisel with the M5? I know it would have crazy tourque, but how much quicker is it? Sorry about the 100Q's - Chris

CHRI'S16 said:
Really, BMW here don't seem to think so. And is that the 530 petrol in the same capacity??? So why didn't they use deisel with the M5? I know it would have crazy tourque, but how much quicker is it? Sorry about the 100Q's - Chris

The 5 series is using some new funky sequential dual turbo system with routes the exhaust and chagred intake depending on engine speed and load to maximise the efficiency and power. Apparently it works a treat too.

Unfortunatly the AU market has yet to mature enough to accept diesel in the mainstream. I suggest it's also go to do with the price premium of diesel compared to the opposite in the home markets.

Regarding the M5, BMW wanted to flex their muscles and produce a high power, high rev V10 engine to sell off the back of their F1 'succecs'.

Brad said:
The 5 series is using some new funky sequential dual turbo system with routes the exhaust and chagred intake depending on engine speed and load to maximise the efficiency and power. Apparently it works a treat too.

Unfortunatly the AU market has yet to mature enough to accept diesel in the mainstream. I suggest it's also go to do with the price premium of diesel compared to the opposite in the home markets.

Regarding the M5, BMW wanted to flex their muscles and produce a high power, high rev V10 engine to sell off the back of their F1 'succecs'.
Thanks Brad, you live aye!? - Chris

ps, any figure for this 530 d.

Its the 535d

2993cc inline 6, twin-turbo diesel
272hp @ 4400rpm
413 lb.ft @ 2000rpm
0-100(ish) 6.5sec

Evo did a write up in the March edition. They enjoyed it but not as much as the M5 (turn in etc was better).

Jono

One of the local car mag.s tried one in Europe and raved about it, said it was the best BMW engine full stop.

A pity our diesel here is so shi**y here we don't see them.

I drove one from Surrey to Goodwood two days in a row when they first came out two years ago and was mighty impressed. Far better than the Mercedes C230D I drove in Germany last year.

So just like petrol there is different grades of Diesel? Is it graded the same way regular ULP etc??...
I want a super tourque. super revs RWD under 800 Kg's.... hmm. - Chris

Pugster said:
Peugeot will prepare a HDI+FAP powered Supercar during year 2006 in order to run the 2007 sport cars championship+ le Mans(and win it)!!!
This isn't the first time diesel engined cars have appeared at Le Mans. BMW have competed in the past in diesel powered saloons.

crosspug said:
Its the 535d Evo did a write up in the March edition. They enjoyed it but not as much as the M5 (turn in etc was better).
Probably because of less weight over the front wheels compared to the V10.

crosspug said:
Its the 535d
2993cc inline 6, twin-turbo diesel
272hp @ 4400rpm
413 lb.ft @ 2000rpm
0-100(ish) 6.5sec
How do these figures compare to BMW's 3.0L petrol 535i? Wouldn't surprise me if the 'd' was the quicker of the two.

kermit said:
This isn't the first time diesel engined cars have appeared at Le Mans. BMW have competed in the past in diesel powered saloons.

Last year a diesel powered car entered. It was a V10 with a Lola B2K/10 chassis.

I believe the first diesel engined car was in 1949.

Wasnt that the one that was running on bio-diesel? I vaguely remember something about last years LeMans and a diesel powered car running.

I know that several teams have entered diesel cars in the Nurburgring 24 hrs - or possibly the spa 24 hours. One was a team headed by the Luff's from Sydney. I think it was a diesel powered pug (306?) or maybe a golf.

PLAYLIFE said:
Last year a diesel powered car entered. It was a V10 with a Lola B2K/10 chassis.

I believe the first diesel engined car was in 1949.

Diesel technology is progressing at leaps and bounds compared to petrol. Years ago you wouldnt have compared them. But we're in the wrong country to observe this...

2cv said:
Diesel technology is progressing at leaps and bounds compared to petrol. Years ago you wouldnt have compared them. But we're in the :) wrong country to observe this...
85% of the cars made & sold by PEUGEOT worldwide are diesel fueled & powered. Just wait until Peugeot tackle F1 with a Diesel ,of which will be not to long! :) :) :) :cancan:

BDG said:
85% of the cars made & sold by PEUGEOT worldwide are diesel fueled & powered. Just wait until Peugeot tackle F1 with a Diesel ,of which will be not to long! :) :) :) :cancan:
By the way,Peugeot & BMW are to share joint manufacturing in STRASBURG , French /German border country , to produce petrol engines for both marques respectively , to use in cars only. :) :)

Just look at the new 307 2.0L HDi - 100kW and 320Nm. It does 195km/h and gets 4.4 L/100Km. Why would you buy a petrol?