Peugeot engine type

jackfromathens

Tadpole
Tadpole
Hello,
I have a 404 peugeot (1969) and I suspect that the engine has been replaced sometime ago, I want to find out what engine type is the current, is it possible from the engine number M20402 to get information about it?

A photo of the engine from the carby side may help as well.

Hi Jackfromathens

The following is how to identify an engine out of the factory workshop manual.
Interestingly, there are no details after the listing starting with the letter M (see highlighted number).

As Peter C commented, a photo of the engine and or the engine number stamped on the engine pad (as per photo) would be of great assistance. You could also cross reference it againt the body number stamped on the identification plate, it can also be found stamped into the top of the inner guard somewhere (it is on the right side guard).

These would be a good starting point to assist you.

Cheers,

Dano

1672346485396.png

1672346564816.png

1672346651382.png

Attachments

• 1672346427367.png
    1672346427367.png
    96.3 KB · Views: 55
Further to previous post, here is a list of engine types and associated numbers.

1672351405339.png

1672351516887.png

1672351626009.png

Thanks Mike,
Makes sense now. ZF auto gearbox.
Cheers
Dan

Hello again,
Thanks to your suggestion, I found another number at the basis (support) of the engine, this makes more sense, it reads
Y2469872Y (or is it X ?) . I enclose a photo of this newly found nymber , also the chassis VIN (that it gives 404 Berline , 1969 XC-6 type etc) but it is not really much help because I know that the engine has been changed , and I also enclose a photo of the first number I found on the engine.
My problem, is I need to know what type this engine is , sure the original should be XC-6 but I suspect a different was adapted. For example, the cylinder head gave a number that someone had associated to Peugeot 504 XM engine. How can I find what engine I have on?

Many thanks again

Attachments

• chassisa.jpg
    chassisa.jpg
    444.9 KB · Views: 90
  • moteur1b.jpg
    moteur1b.jpg
    728.1 KB · Views: 90
  • moteur2a.jpg
    moteur2a.jpg
    997.2 KB · Views: 95
I enclose photos of the engine as it is now..

Attachments

• engine1.jpg
    engine1.jpg
    733.4 KB · Views: 115
  • engine2.jpg
    engine2.jpg
    860.5 KB · Views: 102
I enclose photos of the engine as it is now..
It would be helpful if the head gasket is removed, to get a look at the top of the cylinder liners. In a pretty bad way, along with all the corrosion it doesn't look like the oil has been changed for a long while.

Strip motor at minimum hone the bores and fit new rings and bearings after a very good clean up

Taking to Bruce llewellyn, he suggested that it could be 1400CC engine. That is why the engine number looks different and not those listed in the info I posted. Not sure how to confirm this?

It would be helpful if the head gasket is removed, to get a look at the top of the cylinder liners. In a pretty bad way, along with all the corrosion it doesn't look like the oil has been changed for a long while.
I know, I managed to get a new cylinder head, next steo will be as you say , to see what the situation is inside. I can manage to find pistons easily, thr problem is what damage has been done by corrosion. A terrible mistake I've done, leaving it for months with the water in the engine. Lost my sleep from worry..

theres a guy on here THANOSK from GREECE he rallys a 504 amongst other things ,he may be able to help you with local knowled as you are new i dont know how you would go about contacting him