Peugeot 504 (411) radiator empty of fluid (!!!)

hi Ed,I think you will find that as has been said the reflector has probably tarnished back to its grey base colour which is not reflective.also if you check the globes the indicator globe will have equal mounted pins and orange globes are available to suit(as fitted to Renault lacuna 2) and the stop/tail globe has offset pins so as not to be fitted incorrectly…jim

The rear indicators on a 504 work well and do not need any modification. I would unscrew the screws retaining the lens cover, clean any accumulated dust, give the contact a bit of a clean, and fit a new 21 watt globe. It's possible someone has fitted a 5 watt globe as a temporary measure.

hi Ed,I think you will find that as has been said the reflector has probably tarnished back to its grey base colour which is not reflective.also if you check the globes the indicator globe will have equal mounted pins and orange globes are available to suit(as fitted to Renault lacuna 2) and the stop/tail globe has offset pins so as not to be fitted incorrectly…jim
Hi dacia :)
Just for information, my experience has been European cars that have amber blinker globes do use a different base for them. The two pins are set at the same height but not equally set opposite around the base. So they do not fit in standard sockets. Possibly there may be some made with equal spacings.
Jaahn

Is the blinker issue due to the globe having low current/earth etc and not giving full brightness Or is it that the plastic lens has faded and is no longer orange?

If the latter they can on many cars be effectively tarted up by rubbing back the faded layers with progressively finer grades of sandpaper, then coating with clear epoxy.

REpco have kits for it and if you are lucky they can save you a lot of searching for obsolete lenses.

I have significantly prolonged the useful life on indicators on Pugsley ( 404 ) by doing this. Did it eight years ago and they are still going strong.

Best Wishes

Andrew
Andrew - thanks for the prompt reply. I've just had a look at the rhs plastic cover for the brake, blinker, etc lights - this is in very transparent state so my guess is its the current or that it needs a cleaning job. So, anyway, it seems like if all was kosher the blinker light would be clearly seen by other motorists? Looks as though Pug needs a trip to an auto-electrician. EdK

You said " I noticed that amber colored globes are available that would fit where the blinker globe is - would an amber coloured globe be more visible "
Hi Ed , the orange globes do not fit where clear globes are used as the pins are offset to make sure the correct globe is used.
My suggestion is also to look inside the light glass for dirt and to polish up the contacts for the globe. It would have worked properly when newer.
Progress is being made for the second coming ! :cool:
Jaahn
Jaahn - thanks for the tip, I won't be buying any orange globes. EdK

The rear indicators on a 504 work well and do not need any modification. I would unscrew the screws retaining the lens cover, clean any accumulated dust, give the contact a bit of a clean, and fit a new 21 watt globe. It's possible someone has fitted a 5 watt globe as a temporary measure.
Peter C - I had unscrewed the rear rhs cover yesterday & had worked out that I needed to buy probably four new 21 W & two 5 W globes. I will have to walk the 3 miles there and back (6 miles in all) to the nearest supplier to get these, or pay a $10 delivery fee - given my age (77.75 years) I think it will be the latter. One 21 W globe was clearly blown, the other may as well be replaced too. I will have a look at the rear lhs assembly on the weekend. EdK 6/5/2022

Peter C - actually, that's a really good point re the possible 5W in where it is supposed to be a 21 W. It will be replaced with a 21W EdK 6/5/22

are you sure the engine plaque says "made by Renault" ?

To check if it's the globe, and assuming the left hand indicator is working properly, try swapping the globe from the left hand side to the right hand side and see what happens.

I guess EdK would be talking of Australian compliance plate on usually l/h inner guard stamped manufactured by Renault Australia…jim
that part made sense
the bit that didnt was why does a Peugeot 504 have 'manufactured by Renault' stamped on it ?
was there a hookup between Peug and Ren back then ?

cheers julian,
sorry to veer off topic but
is that why they never shipped the Reno5 here ? great shame

Update on Peugeot 504 "rebirth" -

1. on Sunday 8/5/22 I got the necessary globes for Pug from Repco, then back home & put them in place on rear rhs assembly, including the spot for a/the reversing light. All lights were then checked and are to my satisfaction.
  2. Yesterday (Monday 9/5/22) I took Pug to the nearest petrol station and half-filled the tank with high octane petrol
  3. also at the station pumped the four tyres up to 31 something or others (lbs per square inch??), a guess as I had forgotten to look at that in the owners manual (left back at home), actually that wouldn't have helped me at all (I see right now on page 58 that it's meant to be 1.5 bars at front & 1.8 or 1.9 bars at the back). I'm not familiar with "bars" as a pressure measurement. If anyone can recommend a suitable tyre pressure for PUG (1976 504 saloon) in both imperial and metric, if possible, that would be good.
  4. I then went to Repco again looking for a replacement petrol cap as the one Pug has is locked and none of the keys I have seems to fit it (dang me!!!) - the cap just sits in place and is held there with a suitable rag cloth that seems to hold the cap there OK. I do actually know the key number as it is somewhere on my computer in a MS Word doc. (see 5. below for wording/details)
  5. Keys to the Peugeot: Petrol Cap - P. Journee France J143 (it also has the ignition and boot key details as well, handy but not relevant here)
  6. so my question re petrol cap - knowing that number (J143) can I somehow get a duplicate key from somebody, somewhere, some time soon ??? Your suggestion(s) would be much appreciated, I don't really like the present situation.
  7. also yesterday at Repco (further to point 4 above) I bought what I hope is a suitable coolant product, the details are:
    1. REPCO Red Long Life Coolant Concentrate 1 litre colour is RED - "makes 3 litres 8 years or 500,000 kms" & "suitable for vehicles already using red or orange colour" & "Repco recommends mixing product with demineralised water" & "consult vehicles owners manual for cooling system capacity and filling procedures" - then there is other "blurb" re what it does &/or doesn't do, but (I checked this) it doesn't say whether it can be just added to the water that Pug's radiator is filled with at present (or is it, after I did the ?ten kilometers trip yesterday? - I should check that, but Pug is again under its car cover, so I'll do that later). I think that because it's mixability with water is NOT mentioned, the assumption has to be that that is a big "NO-NO"
    2. Now, re "rebirthing" the radiator -- presently, as far as I know or can gather, the radiator has got in it either one or the other of these two possibles - A) water only, or B) a mixture of water + coolant ---- as per the previous posts (mine + various kind forum posters) the situation is unclear, at least it is to me ....
    3. my 504 Pug manual page 53 "Cooling system" makes it look like emptying, flushing and re-filling the radiator is pretty simple (but I bet it isn't ....)
    4. so, my question re "fixing" the radiator is this - 1) is the coolant I bought suitable? 2) Why can't I just keep topping up Pug's radiator with water? - at page 53 of the "504 Peugeot Instructions_maintenance" manual - "Cooling system" -- under "Refilling" it says "Refill with clean water ..." (etc). If it was good enough in 1976, is it still good enough in 2022?
  8. My brain is all tuckered out, also it's dinner time, so I'll not mention the door locks (at this stage)
  9. Would anybody be interested in seeing a pic of Pug?
I would really appreciate any advice you care to give me, I hope this isn't getting too much for the collective expertise and knowledge of this forum. Ed K 10/5/2022

that part made sense
the bit that didnt was why does a Peugeot 504 have 'manufactured by Renault' stamped on it ?
was there a hookup between Peug and Ren back then ?
The Renault factory at West Heidelberg manufactured the Peugeot 404/504,Renault 10/12/16 on the same production line,later also some Ford cortina s (te I think) others may clarify a bit more….jim

Sounds as though the rear lights have been sorted. Good.

I've always drained the cooling system on a 504 by undoing the drain tap on the bottom tank in front of the radiator, i.e, on the grill side. I'm not suggesting anyone flush the radiator by this method but I've always taken the radiator out, connected the garden hose to the outlet port with the water running and shaken it from side to side, back and forth etc. I've never had to bleed the cooling system of air.

I'm sure we'd all like to see pics of your 504.

Sounds as though the rear lights have been sorted. Good.

I've always drained the cooling system on a 504 by undoing the drain tap on the bottom tank in front of the radiator, i.e, on the grill side. I'm not suggesting anyone flush the radiator by this method but I've always taken the radiator out, connected the garden hose to the outlet port with the water running and shaken it from side to side, back and forth etc. I've never had to bleed the cooling system of air.

I'm sure we'd all like to see pics of your 504.
I took a quick pic the other day, not brilliant, but car is in reasonable nick EdK 10/5/2022

Attachments

• Pug.jpg
    Pug.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 97