Peugeot 306 bosch conversion

pustieboy

Fellow Frogger
Tadpole
i trying start my 1996 306 i still have the lucas injectors in it willl this be the reason why it won't start please help,thank u

Maybe, they crack at a lower pressure ending up with too much fuel. Check a 405 SRDT or Bosch 306 for these. You have the fuel lines obviously.

Is there any smoke out the exhaust while cranking? If so, what colour?

Maybe, they crack at a lower pressure ending up with too much fuel. Check a 405 SRDT or Bosch 306 for these. You have the fuel lines obviously.
ok thanks i also haven't time the pump i didn't move from cradle when i took of 405

Pump will need to timed for the thing to inject correctly, if the 405 is still available go get the injectors? Smelling fuel means its pumping through the injected mix. Should be whitish mist at exhaust.

From memory there are two sets of holes in the cradle for the studs that hold the pump in place to thread into. One set is for Bosch pumps, the other is for Lucas pumps. If you have it in the wrong position, your injection timing will be way out. You will need to remove the pump, remove the studs and put them in the 'Bosch' threads and then refit the pump. Don't ask me which is which though, memory isn't that good!

The Lucas injectors have a slightly different cracking pressure to the Bosch ones, which will affect injection timing also, but usually not enough to stop it running.

yes thanks it will be in the correct studs as i didn't remove it from the cradle it was in a running car i am guessing ,thx i thinking the pump is not in time have to do the timing procedure probably.thx

Pump will need to timed for the thing to inject correctly, if the 405 is still available go get the injectors? Smelling fuel means its pumping through the injected mix. Should be whitish mist at exhaust.
yes i guess so thanks but if not really needed might be a waste of time and money ,thanks

Mostly agree, but you will save on fuel and get better atomisation which is better efficiency.

Grab the injector pipes for the Bosch also. You need to bend the Lucas ones a bit too far to be safe when fitting the Bosch pump.

Not much point trying to start it until it is timed properly. A diesel won't start from cold unless the timing is pretty much bang on.

Once that's sorted, make sure it is completely bled of air in the delivery pipes, and that your glow plugs are working properly. Then start it.

Not much point trying to start it until it is timed properly. A diesel won't start from cold unless the timing is pretty much bang on.

Once that's sorted, make sure it is completely bled of air in the delivery pipes, and that your glow plugs are working properly. Then start it.
thanks champ

Not economics, but perhaps in engineering or diesel mechanics. It involves pegging the engine in the correct position and then rotating the pump.

What was wrong with the much simpler to use CAV style pump?

I'll look for it tomorrow.

Did you pin the crank, cam and pump pulley when you assembled it? If so, you should be in the ballpark. Slacken the nuts securing the pump and the injection pipes from the back of the pump. Move it fully one way, then the other, and then put it at a point halfway between the mid point of movement and the position closest to the engine, and then resecure all the nuts and pipes.

After bleeding, it should probably start at that point, but may not run particularly well.

To get it absolutely correct, you need a dial indicator, a fabricated bracket to hold it in the timing port of the pump, a way to identify top dead centre, and the timing spec for your pump/injector combo.

thanks i have at look at it again sometime soon i got dial gauge and workshop manual but seems very technical

still not timed it pustieboy !
that's crazy, why not ??

your questions seems to go round in circles
is this a genuine enquiry ?
send in some photos to at least confirm what engine, pump and pipes you have

- BOSCH pumps go with BOSCH injectors and BOSCH injector pipes
they are NOT interchangeable with the Lucas injectors/pipes

- on the injection pump bracket for the correct bolt holes:
with the pump bracket in position, stand at the left front wheel and look at it.
the bosch pump holes are the most clockwise bolt holes
the lucas holes are the most anti-clockwise

if you're able to send in some pics will go thru the timing procedure

also, in anticipation that the above suggestions do not progress things
recommend you get HAYNES manual, number 0950
its the old Peugeot Diesel Engine manual especially for your XUD