Peugeot 205 Si

Ok, so I ordered some seals for when I put the newly reconditioned drive shafts back in.

Currently, on the car, I have seals that look like this:
321244-321246.jpg

As far as I can tell, part numbers are 321244 and 321246, which is what I thought I was ordering.

In the mail, I got these (SASIC 1213463 and SASIC 1213443):
SASIC 1213443 (312144).jpeg
SASIC1213463 (312146).jpg

The dimensions look right, and the internet (here and here, for example) seems to think that the SASIC part numbers match up with the Peugeot ones, but obviously, the parts look different. Are the white toothy things on the old ones just a different design (perhaps designed to help you not wreck them when you are putting the drive shafts back in?), or are they different parts?

Cheers,
Nik

The worlds slowest 205 build continues. And so, to the gearbox. I have acquired a Quaife LSD, a Mi16 box and a Xsara VTS box. I'm wondering how I should proceed.

- One option would be to drop out the box that is in the car, and stick the Quaife (with a final drive from one of the other boxes) into it, and then put it back. Would just live with the stupidly short first, and the not ideal but probably fine 3-4-5.
- Another option would be to stick the Quaife in either the Mi16 box or the VTS box [but which one?], make any other necessary changes [such as ...?] and then stick that in the car.
- Another option would be to [get someone] to build up a box from scratch for me, using the bits I have plus the closer ratio 3-4-5 (assuming I can find a set) and stick that in the car. This seems like a job for someone who actually knows what they are doing - any recommendations for such a person in Melbourne?

In any case, the current box would need to come out, which raises a preliminary question - how to get around the AC pipe?
- I assume it can't be got around, and that the way to do it is to degas the AC and take it apart. Is that right, and can it be done at home? What is involved?
- Given I don't really want AC in that car, is it difficult to just delete it [possibly leaving the option of putting it back, in the future]? What is required?

Put in the Mi16 or VTS box, why would you want to use the original?

Mi16 and VTS boxes are basically identical, except that VTS has the later, stronger case.

You'll need to degas the A/C. Your local A/C man will do that and then put it back. I have a mobile guy.

Thanks Graham and Peter.
Mi16 and VTS boxes are basically identical, except that VTS has the later, stronger case.
Sounds like put the LSD in the VTS box and use that is the sensible thing to do.

You'll need to degas the A/C. Your local A/C man will do that and then put it back. I have a mobile guy.
A mobile guy - of course, that makes sense! Is there much involved in deleting the A/C all together, rather than putting it back in?
Some plumbing and a different belt, I guess?

Why don't you want A/C? Is it cool where you live?

Why don't you want A/C? Is it cool where you live?
About the same as where you live, I'd say. But the car will be a strictly recreational vehicle, if I ever get it back together, so limited opportunities for using the AC. Not none, but not many. So why carry it around everywhere?

Cos if it works, why bother to delete?
You’ll just get rid of it and we’ll have a series of heatwaves.....

Alpine Affair has one, don't know if they have used it for many years though, I have gone there to use it a few times.

Given I don't really want AC in that car, is it difficult to just delete it [possibly leaving the option of putting it back, in the future]? What is required?
good idea !
yes, I removed my AC years ago
- its way nicer to work on the car which is the reason I took it out
- there's more room in the engine bay without the AC clutter
- there's better airflow in the engine bay
- and as you already know, your car will be lighter

my car is used every day (yes thru every summer heatwave)
and I do everything that's done on the car
so it makes a massive difference, even fiddling about on small jobs
you could get it properly degassed as Peter suggests, but I just removed all the parts myself
check the book for any warnings I spose
forget but think I started with unbolting the condensor from the sump then AC rad, hoses, belt etc

keep all the parts if you can, in case you want to reinstall later on
or sell them to an overseas owner as they covet them from Aust (AC was uncommon overseas and every single Si over here was AC)

not sure what it does, but good point anyway Peter
don't do what I did, do it the right way,
get it degassed properly, and THEN dismantle

Yes. Please, de-gas properly.
Just because we drive old Peugeots doesn’t mean we can’t be responsible.
Apparently driving a Peugeot is environmentally the next best thing to driving a BEV. Don’t let the team down.
57D984A1-F8D2-4518-A410-D41EE44396DD.jpeg