Petrol and Electric Heads

I thought @The Gonz already posted the US army recruitment ad?

I have no problem with people choosing pronouns as long as the chosen word is singular rather than plural and public bathrooms remain labelled by urinals or tampon disposal units instead of ambiguous hermaphroditic icons that disregard biological function.

I think that is the point of that ad - getting armies to work differently.
No doubt. But when I say 'that is not how armies work', I am not referring to how they are currently arranged.
I am talking about how they can only work. Battlefields are no conducive to self deluding social fictions.

I can't think of anything more insane that confusing young kids even more than they are already confused with this nonsense that is going on at the moment.
The ABS did a survey in the last several years, which found that 40% of 'young adults' (something like 15 to 24), self-reported a mental problem. And, 50% of gays. That's pretty serious, but utterly absurd. All it shows is that the main mental problem in Australia is thinking you have a mental problem. Personally, I think it beyond question that children and teenagers self-perceived mental problems are significantly, and increasingly, the result of confusing them about sexuality and sexual identity. For one, encouraging children to even express a view about their sexuality, is something known as "sexualising children". Interestingly that is supposed to be a bad thing. But not if they are LGBTQI, apparently. Worse, encouraging a psychotic delusion that you can choose your sex by "identifying" is tantamount to child abuse, in my view, as is going to have very bad outcomes for swathes of children currently growing up in Australia.

lol! and how's that working out for them lately...?
At least 160K+ dead Ukranian military vs under 20K dead Russians might answer that. That's tragically 8:1.
Nothing to do with the original topic of this thread, but it is worth reflecting upon.

... I can't think of anything more insane that confusing young kids even more than they are already confused with this nonsense that is going on at the moment.
Others might look up Chloe Cole.
Again , nothing to do with the original topic of this thread.

Others might look up Chloe Cole.
Again , nothing to do with the original topic of this thread.
Oh I don't know, tenuous link I know, but Perry Mason would make it work.🤷‍♂️

20230307_212250.jpg
20230307_212230.jpg

Hi.

I took a bit more time to add an additional two tables, and to condense and simplify the spreadsheet layout. Table A includes all of the assumptions provided by pugrambo. It compares his current 406 HDI in blue colour with the e2008 in beige colour.

I consider the pugrambo electricity costs are high, relative to what I pay, so have included "Whippet" data in green to illustrate the difference that "fuel" costs have. Also when Googling for BEV consumption I find figures from 10 to 15kWh for smaller sedans/hatches and 15 to 20kWh for larger SUV vehicles. So for Whippet data I has selected 17kWh as a reasonable conservative figure for long distance highway use.

I have also added a row of pink data that assumes the car could be charged during the day on excess Solar PV electricity. Self-evidently this cannot occur in pugrambo’s situation if the vehicle is driven 6 days a week and is not available during the day to charge. But increasingly businesses / employers are installing Solar PV on factory and office roof tops and this might be an increasingly available option in future years.

As I have mentioned previously, the initial purchase price has a large influence on the break-even calculations. I note that my spreadsheet is a fairly basic, present value layout, that doesn't include any allowance for major repairs or vehicle trade in and replacement.

The annual distance that pugrambo drives is very high, nearly five times the typical annual distance for the "average" motorist of 15,000km. So I added Table C to illustrate break even for 15,000 km "typical" use.

Green highlight indicates the break even year.

Cheers.

View attachment 217877
That's awesome thank you

So financially it's best to keep the 406 running

I honestly think that EV's are perfect for those who want to run around built up areas, quieter so far less noise pollution

Exactly.
And let's face it, there are very few people whose sole objective is to have the cheapest transport possible.
If saving money was, say, my prime objective, I would drive a 90s toyota of some sort which has ceased to depreciate at all (aside from rust and accidents). In fact, almost everyone pays extra for features they could, from a purely functional transport point of view, do without. So whether or not one saves money by owning an EV is rather moot; that is not the point of EVs anyway, right?

The point of EVs is to have personal transport which doesn't contribute global warming, and nothing else.
So when you see your guage heading south you don't look for the best priced fuel, you just pull in to any servo and fill back up again ?

So when you see your guage heading south you don't look for the best priced fuel, you just pull in to any servo and fill back up again ?
I do - who bothers spending time and fuel to "save" a couple of bucks...? Its all expensive, but not nearly as expensive as it should be ;)

I do look for the cheapest fuel in the locations I drive to, and never run out. It's a lifetime habit that started when I wanted to buy a house at a young age. No, before that when I was a fully self-funded student without any subsidy.

Paying too much isn't convenience, it is wasting money.

Probably depends on where you live.

A quick look at PetrolSpy shows very little difference for the majority of Hobart (for example), price fixing anyone.🤷‍♂️

Toowoomba is the nearest city to me and Petrolspy shows a 20c difference per litre for diesel as an example. One of the $1.79 servos is straiģht across the road from one of the $1.99 ones.

In my humble opinion only a fool or someone that is paid too much wouldn't cross the road to save 20c per litre.🤷‍♂️

I do look for the cheapest fuel in the locations I drive to, and never run out. It's a lifetime habit that started when I wanted to buy a house at a young age. No, before that when I was a fully self-funded student without any subsidy.

Paying too much isn't convenience, it is wasting money.
Exactly
There aren't too many people i know that are that carefree that price doesn't matter for fuel
I use my app and know in advance when i'm going to need fuel and where to get it at the best price

In town I always go straight to APCO. its always cheaper than everywhere else. Upto 20cents a litre cheaper at times. This is for all fuels including lpg. The only reason I can see for people going somewhere like shell (usually far more expensive than anywhere else) is there car is under lease and they use a fuel company card as a part of the lease.

I don't think a great deal about it anyway as I only fill it up maybe every 6 weeks or so...

In town I always go straight to APCO. its always cheaper than everywhere else. Upto 20cents a litre cheaper at times. This is for all fuels including lpg. The only reason I can see for people going somewhere like shell (usually far more expensive than anywhere else) is there car is under lease and they use a fuel company card as a part of the lease.
My wife has a company car with a fuel card (Caltex I think, but she can use it anywhere).
She fills it up at the best price she can find when it is practicable.
Same with accommodation and meals when she is away.
Although her budget is significantly more than what she spends, she won't undo the habits of a lifetime.
"Treat the money like it's your own" is her motto.
I'm the same, hate waste, whether it's material or "just" numbers on a spreadsheet, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that.🤷‍♂️

locally, I go to a United Petrol outlet as it is cheaper, and as close as the other.
Anywhere else, I just fill up where convenient. Any savings to be had shopping around in a locality are utterly insignificant in the broad cost of car ownership

Probably depends on where you live.

A quick look at PetrolSpy shows very little difference for the majority of Hobart (for example), price fixing anyone.🤷‍♂️

Toowoomba is the nearest city to me and Petrolspy shows a 20c difference per litre for diesel as an example. One of the $1.79 servos is straiģht across the road from one of the $1.99 ones.

In my humble opinion only a fool or someone that is paid too much wouldn't cross the road to save 20c per litre.🤷‍♂️
And yet, many people don't cross the road to save 20c per litre, as most people are actually quite price insensitive.
Just like most people shop at Woolies and Coles, even though Aldi is ALOT cheaper.

But, normally, you cannot save 20c by crossing the road. Those price differences normally are just timing issues due to different retail chains changing their price at a different time of day, in response to price cycles.

GP, i see your post was from 3 hours ago. I am looking at the PetrolSpy map for Toowoomba, and cannot see any gas stations across the road from each other, with a 20c price difference. Which ones were you looking at, at the time? The only gas stations I can at all, that are across the road from each other, are near the corner of Ruthven and James, and they are the same price.

-----------------------
As a more general observation, the fact that any gas stations at all have consistently prices that others, but are still in business, shows beyond question that most buyers are insensitive to typical local price differences. But I don't think that any gas station is, on average, much cheaper or more expensive than others anyway. Looking at PetrolSpy for my area, the range for, say, unleaded 91 is 4c for a radius of about 5km. The range is 8c for 98, but of course the highest and lowest are just the outliers.

Last edited:
Looking at PetrolSpy for Dubbo, there are 13 gas stations with Diesel in a 3c range. And 2 of them 30c higher than the rest.
I now realise Pugrambo is in Parkes. There are 6 marked gas stations there. 5 of them have exactly the same price for diesel, and 1 is 3c higher. Plainly Pugrambo won't be getting any great deal today irrespective of the app he uses. 3c range for 98. As usual, it turns out that when you look closely at the facts, much of what is said in society is inflammatory hyperbole.

Within a mile of me today 95 ranges between 185.9 and 217.9. That range becomes $16 a near tank full and is worth being selective for a short drive, which I may have been making anyway.

For the same servos, diesel is between 192.9 and 215.9 . That's also $16 a tank and I'd certainly select for a tank full.

Who would throw $16 away?

I usually however stop elsewhere when going that way. Today's diesel price there is 1.99, so you can see why I don't often buy locally.