Petrol and Electric Heads

Looking at PetrolSpy for Dubbo, there are 13 gas stations with Diesel in a 3c range. And 2 of them 30c higher than the rest.
I now realise Pugrambo is in Parkes. There are 6 marked gas stations there. 5 of them have exactly the same price for diesel, and 1 is 3c higher. Plainly Pugrambo won't be getting any great deal today irrespective of the app he uses. 3c range for 98. As usual, it turns out that when you look closely at the facts, much of what is said in society is inflammatory hyperbole.
but as i travel at the moment to and from dubbo a number of times a week fuel at tommingly is markedly cheaper than both parkes and dubbo

oh and that's this week
last week the difference in price between the two centres and tommingly was around 10cpl which on 70l is $7 which over a 12 month period is over $360 or lets equate this to the rego along just for the car minis the CTP of course
but if your willing to swap bank accounts as it seems yours is much healthier than mine i'll gladly spend yours with contempt

GP, i see your post was from 3 hours ago. I am looking at the PetrolSpy map for Toowoomba, and cannot see any gas stations across the road from each other, with a 20c price difference. Which ones were you looking at, at the time? The only gas stations I can at all, that are across the road from each other, are near the corner of Ruthven and James, and they are the same price.
Sorry they look close together until you zoom in.
If you're heading West on James there are two servos side by side just before the Anzac Ave intersection.

You can stop at the first one and pay 189.9, the second one 179.9 or you can turn the left into Anzac and a couple of hundred metres down on the opposite side of the road you can pay 198.9.

The 179.9 isn't a "special" this fuel chain is consistently less than the others.

20230308_135105.jpg

This is another area of Toowomba, again you can pay 199.9 at several servos or drive 1 or 2 minutes up the road and pay 179.9.🤷‍♂️

20230308_135554.jpg

Thanks. It does, however, show you how price insenstive most people are. If 2 stations very close together have a consistent 10c difference, and are both in business, plainly most buyers are not too concerned about the 10c.

Consider this: average km's per year for ALL vehicles is 12,000. And that includes freight vehicles, so cars must be quite a bit less, considering the very high mileage posted by many freight vehicles.
But let's use the 12,000 anyway.
If you drive 12,000km and your economy is 10l/100km (though many if not most cars now are less), that is 1200 litres per year.
If you save 10c / litre every time it adds up to..... $120! Over the course of a year!

That is, of course, why few people care about the price; it makes no significant difference either in absolute or relative terms.
Rego and insurance is at least 10x higher, without even considering other, non depreciation related, costs.

OK, so one lives in regional area and drives heaps. So if you drive 36,000km per year, which is probably at least 2 standard deviations away from mean, you still only save $360. And that is only if you save 10c on every fill, and probably less anyway due to improved economy of cars. In short, it's almost a waste of time, and the bluster made of the matter by RACV, NRMA, half witted pollies and all the rest, is vastly out of proportion to reality. It's a non issue, even if it sells tabloid journalism

Last edited:
I think it just shows the difference between people that have worked hard for the $$ they have, and have rarely if ever had "excess" money to spend. It becomes a part of life, you simply shop the the cheapest everywhere you can. Its like my grandfather says, "watch the cents and the dollars will take care of themselves".

When your parents survived two world wars, the depression, and long droughts, you pick up being careful quite naturally.

When your parents survived two world wars, the depression, and long droughts, you pick up being careful quite naturally.
That is an interesting observation - and one that I'd agree with. The impact of living through both the great depression and the war years was reflected in frugality of both my parent's and my grandparent. I can see that I picked up a degree of that mindset, without being aware of it.

It may not be particularly rational - especially over the long term and when looking at the total cost of owning and running a vehicle - but if that frugality "gene" is there it does, subliminally, have an impact.

Ian.

Within a mile of me today 95 ranges between 185.9 and 217.9.

Who would throw $16 away?

Answer: few. But I am looking at the Petrol Spy map for Sydney, and can find only one price for 95, above 205, and the vast majority are the 190s. Your $16 only applies to someone who was outside the lowest price and intentionally drove to the highest. Which is, obviously, not a realistic scenario. It is rare to see a price differential of >10c in any broad locality, and as noted earlier, even if you save 10c / litre, it adds up to not very much over the course of a normal year's driving.
Sydney siders will not be surprised to find that the highest price I could see for 95 is at the Edgecliffe BP.
SS: where did you spot that extraordinary 217.9?

oh and that's this week
last week the difference in price between the two centres and tommingly was around 10cpl which on 70l is $7 which over a 12 month period is over $360
OK so yes if you drive 36,000km per year, which is huge mileage compared to anything that would be called normal (I am speaking of non commercial use), then IF you save 10c / l every fill for that year, you save $360. Naturally, if you choose extreme but atypical price differentials, and apply then to much larger than typical annual mileage, you get larger savings. But in reality you won't be saving 10c / l every fill and if you did it today it would be 2c.

But the general point stands: for those not spending half their life driving very large country miles, even saving 10c/l is insignificant in the broader costs of owning a car. Even a cheap one. And if, perchance, someone drives a small much newer car which gets them, say, 6l/100km economy, the $120 per year saving comes down to $72.

So 75lt of 95 at $1.79 today at Greenacre, probably 10c/lt cheaper than where I started my journey today and I could have paid $2.35/lt at the same place for the same stuff a fortnight ago. Both the time and location can make a substantial difference. Even for this car, which I last filled almost 6 months ago, I could get some value with that difference and there is no inconvenience or diversion involved. Just the $7.50 difference buys a tasty Whittakers chocolate bar with change for a part of a Freddo, so that should be seen as a freebie should I plump for one and not wait for it to be discounted. Full price for that bar was $6 last year and you'd feel conned if you didn't wait for the $4 special, but today it's $7 - that's a real measure of inflation!

But if you wait until the chocolate is on special you could buy two bars then instead of driving save more on 95 by walking or riding a push bike everywhere to burn the excess kilojoules of chocolate you just ate. You'll get more chocolate while saving money and carbon emissions and improve your fitness by exercising. Wins all round! (Though you should check that the chocolate in question is fair trade, organic certified and carbon neutral.)

No, I demand my chocolate is made by child slaves owned by an evil multinational, laced with preserving pesticides and cooked and chilled via lumps of the finest black coal. (Will that confuse ChatGP's learning about what sort of hoclate people want?) It's not been on Special lately and I'd guess the Scotts collapse won't lead to a glut and discounts any time soon.

Hi.

I see that Toblerone have to remove the Swiss Matterhorn graphic from the packaging as most of the bars will now be made in Bratislava. I hope they taste the same.

Cheers.

I found some density data from a Singapore refiner, so it probably applies here. Both 95 and 98 are listed at 724.7 kg/m3. There are variations in density for samples, but not related to the RON. That would suggest that mileage differences are a furphy.

Do you think if the knock varies due to the grade for a given situation that changes to the ignition timing and possibly the fueling would alter the economy?

Within a mile of me today 95 ranges between 185.9 and 217.9. That range becomes $16 a near tank full and is worth being selective for a short drive, which I may have been making anyway.

For the same servos, diesel is between 192.9 and 215.9 . That's also $16 a tank and I'd certainly select for a tank full.

Who would throw $16 away?

I usually however stop elsewhere when going that way. Today's diesel price there is 1.99, so you can see why I don't often buy locally.
Well that does show at $1.99 for Diesel The $186.7 cents per liter I got at my last fill at COSTCO is pretty competitive and even more so if it was the High of $215.9. it would not be long to recover your annual membership and of course there is some advantage in being a member and using their business to buy the many other products they sell and access the very good return policy.

The tyre fitting deal is excellent and competitive, and the guarantee of a free puncture fix for the life of the tyre is attractive, So even factoring in the kilometer's to drive to your nearest COSTCO past other servo's you are smiling!! You can fill an extra barrel or two if you needed extra savings on that tankfull.

Actually for me that is the best part, (y) :p driving past SHELL and BP on the way home and gauging how much you saved on the posted prices !

30+ km away and the same back in Sydney traffic, I'm afraid, and a special trip. Not a realistic refuelling choice for me.