Oil leak look like near Exhaust manifold. Peugeot 207

Harinathm2002

Tadpole
Tadpole
HI
Peugot 207 got considerably big oil leak near exhaust manifold.dripping near bell housing down via engine block. suspects oil filter housing gaskets.thought to have a look and replace the gasket if its the reason.
please comment and let me know what should i check and any advise.
looked for any instruction manual, videos or tutorials.

this picture is taken from bottom of the engine towards up

Attachments

• 1735e650-8618-43d0-b469-a5fed2e3d644.jpg
    1735e650-8618-43d0-b469-a5fed2e3d644.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 88
There should be lots of threads on this common topic - search for "oil filter housing" (inverted commas required)
e.g https://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/index.php?threads/stupid-ideas-cont.148690/#post-1789577

The catalytic converter has to come off and the main question is whether you do this with the front of the car (including radiator, radiator fan, condenser) removed or in situ. You might get away with just removing the fan. Not a trivial job. And you should check how flat the face of the filter housing is where it fits against the block - mine had quite a bow. I straightened mine out on a sheet of wet and dry paper but I'm not sure of the merits of doing this- some parts of the rubber gasket are more compressed than others. However, that aslo applies if you do nothing. If the filter housing includes a heat exchanger these seals should be replaced as well.

Please kindly help me with this i know all in these god either highly qualified or they have hands on experience. Feel more confident that i iwll get a help from this forum as i had previously with my valve body replacement with A-Z ground level advise.

If you are intending to do the job yourself you need to do your homework. You have a Peugeot- suffering is part of the ownership experience. e.g.

It is too involved a job to expect someone to provide you with a fully itemized account of what is required, together with the necessary torque settings. The details depend on whether your car has the turbo or not.

There should be lots of threads on this common topic - search for "oil filter housing" (inverted commas required)
e.g https://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/index.php?threads/stupid-ideas-cont.148690/#post-1789577

The catalytic converter has to come off and the main question is whether you do this with the front of the car (including radiator, radiator fan, condenser) removed or in situ. You might get away with just removing the fan. Not a trivial job. And you should check how flat the face of the filter housing is where it fits against the block - mine had quite a bow. I straightened mine out on a sheet of wet and dry paper but I'm not sure of the merits of doing this- some parts of the rubber gasket are more compressed than others. However, that aslo applies if you do nothing. If the filter housing includes a heat exchanger these seals should be replaced as well.
Thank you so much for the reply. Will it be alright enough space if i remove the fan assembly only.i will have to look how to remove the Cat converter. i know i have to be careful to undo the bolt on exhaust manifold they may brake. any other precautions and advise would be highly regarded. Hopefully i will get whole pack of seals including the heat exchanger as well.

i feel a bit of lost of power, slightly more fuel and bit of a noise that not much air comes in the system. i am replacing the air filter and the plugs with his and give it a go as well. I had rocker cover leak and i replace it. can these all causes interconnected?

If you are intending to do the job yourself you need to do your homework. You have a Peugeot- suffering is part of the ownership experience. e.g.

It is too involved a job to expect someone to provide you with a fully itemized account of what is required, together with the necessary torque settings. The details depend on whether your car has the turbo or not.
it is not turbo. tried to find videos of non turbo car but culdnt. thank you for this video

I've done these a number of times on 308s with same engine with Turbo, there was no need to remove fan or radiator. If you're anywhere near Sunny Coast can assist or replace the seals. I may have a set left over? Also check not leaking from the valve cover front RH corner or the vacuum pump on the RHS side of can box. Have spare seals as well.

Only perform with cold engine and allow a couple of days if lying on your back on a concrete floor is how you would tackle this job.

I've done these a number of times on 308s with same engine with Turbo, there was no need to remove fan or radiator. If you're anywhere near Sunny Coast can assist or replace the seals. I may have a set left over? Also check not leaking from the valve cover front RH corner or the vacuum pump on the RHS side of can box. Have spare seals as well.

Only perform with cold engine and allow a couple of days if lying on your back on a concrete floor is how you would tackle this job.
Thank you so much mate. Im in browns plains and cant drive im bit worried to drive that far with this leak. I will have a through check about the valve cover.Ill make sure ill keep it jacked and stand on a concrete floor.

Hi have replaced the housing gasket and re fit all back.however I notice some oil leaks mark on heat shield of exhaust.this may another cause of my recently done rocker cover gasket fails?

Did you put a bead of silicon in the 2 cam ends of the new valve cover? The sharp right angle corners you would have noticed the factory sealant there when you removed the original cover?

I know what you mean u shape point of both sides.i got no sealant silicon put on when I do the cover gasket.i don’t see any leaks around the rocker cover.but I noticed some oil on 2 and 4 spark plug bays

hi all, Unfortunately the oil leak is still the same. i found lot of oil dry marks on heat shield. Does this mean have to re do the cylinder head gasket. i cant find any visible oil leak around the front visible areal of the valve cover.then how the oil end up on heat shield. if oil leaking to to the contusion chamber that oil leaks out form exhaust manifold down to shield? Can you advise me what should be my next step now.
I had a engine sound difference after doing the previous valve cover gasket about 3 months ago. i replaced air pump as i felt like not enough air in and replace plugs.

Where abouts on the heat shield, do you have another photo showing fresh oil? There is also the lower engine/transmission mount that collects a lot of oil when it was leaking and depending on how you park the car can leave a trail of oil. A bit difficult to clean out as well so check not historical rather than current oil leakage

Unfortunately i forgot to take photos.there was a bit of historical oil marks on the outer heat shield but at the bottom i fount still slippery dusty oil spills. i found the inner heat shield( Which is behind the exhaust pipes near the engine block) also found some oil spills.
i felt a bit of change of the engine noise after replacing the gasket previous time. Would that be the cause? i haven't put any sealent around the gasket just replaced that and the Orings for plug bays and 2X tightening bolt o rings.

I'm impressed with your rapid progress but I agree with Dimi- you need to put silicone at the sharp junctions on the face of the gasket contact areas at the gearbox end of the valve cover. You should be able to re-use the new rubber valve cover gasket if you clean the oil off it using say a degreaser. Hopefully that will clarify the situation.

Another thought while you are applying the sealant on the VC, make sure you follow the tightening sequence and torque settings. To reduce any chance of oil leakage. Only the vacuum pump may be the other location a constant leak can be enough to start splashing on the heat shield if oil runs down the wiring harness etc

Thank you for the advise and information. I just gave a good greaser and cleanup under body to see if i notice any more oil leak.i can see little wet oily cable from the right side of the engine where the alternator is. but constantly keep an eye.

Please advise which color of the radiator fluid is best for this car. i had greed. worried if i missed a little oil when i replace the oil filter housing and going to flush and refill. please share the information when possible.