Now I'm stuck with the 403 ute

It s a very old car. You would need to do a lot of work and where are you going to get all of the parts to do that?

Quite right. Drums of parts for the old Citroens and very few parts and knowledge for these Peugeots. I'll get it on the road, fit a towbar and go from there. Thanks Graham

I have done a bit of outback travel in the past in the early Citroen ID and Citroen '23 5 Speed DS. Having the ability to raise the height while travelling along and the excellent front wheel drive traction, enabled us to cross the Gunbarrel Highway and "do" the Gibb River Road up in the Kimberley.
It occurred to me that with the rallying history of the 203 Peugeot; the 403 ute that I now own might just be capable of doing the outback travel that I would like to do again, especially the Kimberley.
Any thoughts ?

You said the previous owner put in a good motor. How is the diff & gearbox ? A few 203's went on the Redex re-run and hopefully went okay so the 403 should cruise. What can go wrong ? ? ?
Check the spare tyre, water, oil, screwdriver and pliers, load up, and away you go.

John