Now I'm stuck with the 403 ute

IDear

Fellow Frogger
Well my mate advertised the 403 ute ages ago and you lot didn't want it. Now that he's moving to Gippsland he has given to me .............. for nothing!
Well .... What do you do? Quite rare; they all say.
All the preparation done, so off to a fellow near Daylesford to get it painted. Should be able to finish it for around $1500.
Why not ....... I should get my money back! Famous last words, well it is rare isn't it?
A call a couple of days later ............ "Did you realize Michael that it has slabs of bog and a fair bit of rust to deal with".
That was 2 months ago and now I have it back home, $4000 poorer.
It has been hard to start but replacing the coil lead that looked rather dodgy with a suppressor in it got me off to a good start. Like my ID 19 ; pump up the fuel then a couple of kicks on the accelerator, full choke and hit that rather strange mechanical linkage to the starter and AWAY IT GOES. A rather sweet motor!
The 203 was a good rally car. This should be the same.
I look underneath and there's this huge leaf spring across the front. I thought they had long wheel travel, great for the outback. Must be the sedan! Looking through the gap in the back tray, there's these huge leaf springs.
I don't think that this is going to ride like my ID. That leaf spring on the front looks like the one on my Model T Ford. This is some crazy looking vehicle. Not even a normal looking diff.
This had better be good! Who's going to pay me $4000 to get my money back.
I've always known that it's best to be a bit crazy to own a Citroen but I've always thought that Peugeot..s were pretty normal .... even a bit boring.
Would have been better if he'd taken it to Gippsland.
Some of the chrome strips are on and I've got 4 grilles to choose from and I have many hubcaps.
What am I going to do with a ute, It must be useful for something! This is a real learning curve! You probably find this all rather funny but I must justify this in some way.
It looks rather cute though, sitting in the garage.
It's growing on me ............... Michael

The engineering is complete normal to us of the Peugeot fraternity and makes us feel all warm and fuzzy.

This will be a very practical and head turning vehicle, looks good in your garage. You are also bonding with it. You are unlikely to get your money back but then this won't be an issue as you will find it hard to let go of and keep it instead!

Transverse leaf front spring is a classic Peugeot design feature from 1929. Not only is it strong but it's mounted to a solid cast crossmember.

Yep just enjoy the vehicle and let your kids worry about if they can increase their inheritance by selling it or perhaps even better paying it forward and giving it to a pug enthusiast sometime in the great future. You are its custodian, look after it.:wink2:

Thanks for those comments. A bit of encouragement !
I'll put all the chrome bits on. Apparently I'm lucky to have the teeth in the lions head mascot. It makes a good bottle opener, they tell me.
All very interesting ........... Michael

My 403 ute has the wood sides that make it a great farm vehicle. Everyone waves to me( it) as I drive past on the highway. I've paid $100 down on another ute but it hasn't been delivered yet. Hopefully it will have a usable motor......whole ute is restorable. Will be a long term resto as my 403 sedan is taking precedence. Enjoy yours.

Sent from my SM-T550 using aussiefrogs mobile app

I believe everyone needs a ute. Even if you think you don't need a ute; you need a ute. One day you will load up the back with stuff and stand back looking at it and think - hey, this is really cool [emoji41]

In case you weren't sure before; you now know I love utes. Mind you, I've never had a French one. Even being a Renault man amongst other brands, I've always liked what you've ended up with [emoji4]

Here's my last, now gone for a while ute [emoji172]

IMG_0021.JPG

Picture could get many results

A before and after picture of the OP's ute would be a nice addition to this thread, you never know there could be a flood of 403 Ute enthusiasts with wads of money in hand just waiting to lust after it..:wink2::tongue:

Over to Michael who probably no longer wants to part company with said utility.:D

Ken:)

Okay, here are some pics when the said "restorer" was working on it. He's holding up a piece of past bog. having cut out rusty bits and welding in steel he has now painted the car grey and it looks great.

Brother John

Attachments

• PEUG-a-13-9-19.jpg
    PEUG-a-13-9-19.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 222
  • PEUG-b-13-9-19.jpg
    PEUG-b-13-9-19.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 209
  • PEUG-c-13-9-19.jpg
    PEUG-c-13-9-19.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 236
That looks to be a handy project and useful to fetch and carry anything you wish - commendable project..enjoy

Ken

A nicely restored 403 ute with an authentic tray would be an attractive vehicle to own.

Talking 403 Utes, Dose any Body Know of a 403 Ute Purchased from Pendle Hill NSW X PMG in the last approx 7 Years

I have been traveling in my P6B (V8) Rover towing a small caravan, now in Port Fairy. The 403 ute doesn't have a towbar but with the small (I think it's 1600cc) motor,I doubt that it's capable of towing. It looks rather a complicated looking job to fit one and one would be hard to find ..... ?
Well it's good that brother John took some snaps while work was being done on it.
Good to see the interest in these Peugeot varients. That panelvan looks awesome and with the height, I bet they have been used as mini-campers.
Michael

Towbars were commonly fitted to 403s and towed quite well. Shouldn't be that hard to find a towbar either by AF or via your local Peugeot car club.

Just occurred to me that My mate at Metcalf has a rusty 404 ute that has a towbar fitted. He runs it on the farm to collect firewood. He says I can have it if it fits my 403 ute.
So ......... will it fit ?

I could fill a couple of pages re my time of ownership of my first 403 ute.
How about this for starters.1976 .ish I pulled into Alby Antonises North Essendon Sand Supplies.Keilor Road Essendon...blinding rain..two of us on board..Into office after clearing tray of cement mixer,wheel barrow.crow bar ,sledge hammer grinder circular saw..2 buckets of heavy hand tools ...and God knows what else.!!
Walked into the office...Hi Alby..a yard and a half of brick sand please..... ;YOU MUST Be #)(^@!$^*><??!@#(&*gry...CARAAAZY.
SHE WILL BE RIGHT..BBBBBUT YOU WONT EVEN GET OUT OF THE YARD..SHE WILL BE RIGHT ALBY..THAN KYOU.
Loaded up,tools back onboard...roped her up..smaller tools in cab...cruised out the rear entrance..SAND DRIPPING WET.
Cruised down the highway 60 mph...no wallow..no wander to be concerned about..brakes as cool as a cucumber.NO FADE.[front brakes bigger than a 2 ton Bedford.}..up the hill into top of Keilor Hill.
I have since found another,interestingly the exact same colour that I incorrectly painted mine.Thing is that will not have it finished this week..or next..or next..but my Manual for life promises me that when all of the rubbish that is going on because many want to do things..THEIR Way...that I will have one thousand years of peace..to put all the pieces of my Pug Projects..and Thankfullythey will be in a place where they will never ever rust again.

Just occurred to me that My mate at Metcalf has a rusty 404 ute that has a towbar fitted. He runs it on the farm to collect firewood. He says I can have it if it fits my 403 ute.
So ......... will it fit ?

I'm glad you're thinking that you'll hang onto the car as it is so sweet. We'll see how it all pans out. It's only that our 11 cars is all I can hold under cover or I'd talk you into selling it.

John

I have done a bit of outback travel in the past in the early Citroen ID and Citroen '23 5 Speed DS. Having the ability to raise the height while travelling along and the excellent front wheel drive traction, enabled us to cross the Gunbarrel Highway and "do" the Gibb River Road up in the Kimberley.
It occurred to me that with the rallying history of the 203 Peugeot; the 403 ute that I now own might just be capable of doing the outback travel that I would like to do again, especially the Kimberley.
Any thoughts ?