No compression in 307cc

I bought an endoscope off EPAY a few weeks ago. Perfect for cylinder inspection @ about $50. Better than pulling parts unnecessarily.

Hi Col - my mechanic says as it isn’t blowing smoke he thinks it’s the valve, not piston. No. 1 cyl zero compression, No.2 and others 155.
The leak down test would prove where compression is leaking from, like from inlet or exhaust valve, rings or the head gasket.

Also you will be able to see how much each cylinder is leaking.

The other thought that I have had is aren't some Peugeot motors have sacrificial rockers? Has the cam cover been removed and made sure that the valves are opening and closing. Can't making compression without the valves operating properly.

The disposable rockers are on the HDI diesels.

A leakdown valve test involves pressurising the cylinder and listening for the leak. Is this the 2.0 L EW10J engine with the moulded manifold? If it is a valve it's head off time.

The disposable rockers are on the HDI diesels.

A leakdown valve test involves pressurising the cylinder and listening for the leak. Is this the 2.0 L EW10J engine with the moulded manifold? If it is a valve it's head off time.
I wasn't sure what engines had that style of rocker, just read on here somewhere that it was a Peugeot engine.

Be nice to know what is exactly wrong before parts are removed from the engine.

"Be nice to know what is exactly wrong before parts are removed from the engine."
Always the case. Once things are apart it's often too late to eliminate what is not the problem & always more expensive.

I think this will be an EW10 2.0lt petrol engine with 16 Valves, overhead cam and hydraulics tappets. Really not that much to go wrong with it and no compression would be most likely a failed piston or dropped valve, yet it still runs. And it isn't making nasty noises??? There could be some damage inside by now, which an endoscope might reveal via a plug hole inspection as a first step. On some engines it is possible for a plug to drop a piece of ceramic and then wedge a valve open enough to prevent compression and possibly not be hit by the piston. Were any of the plugs missing part of the insulator ceramic? Taking the rocker cover off would let you check the valve clearances and see if anything is abnormal.

Reactions: COL
The endoscope I bought would read the part numbers off the top of the pistons. Had angle heads to check valves & upper cylinder.
The OP knows it's one particular cylinder. He needs to hone in there & establish exactly what is causing this issue & it is not a hole in a piston.
It very possibly be a hydraulic valve lifter issue (holding valve open) that doesn't require head removal.
If so fix is quick, ez & cost next nothing.

Last edited:
Yes, I've only had one valve fail totally (to the point of no compression) in my whole motoring career. It was an exhaust valve in an old P6 Rover. It only had a tiny triangle missing out of the edge of the valve head, yet had zero compression. A valve wouldn't need to be very far off its seat at all to yield the same result.