No compression in 307cc

Hi I have a 2006 307cc with no compression in one cyl. Am in Sydney. Is a replacement engine req’d? Would appreciate any assistance.
Sounds like you need to do a leak down test to find out exactly what the problem is. After that you can then work out the best way forward.

Lewtrenchard ?Post says am in Sydney

Last edited:
It might be smart to change you login details, trying something other than lewtrenchard now, and then concentrate your query into just this one thread. I've removed the duplicate topic as it's clearly going to cause confusion.

Which engine is this and what, aside from no compression, are the symptoms? How have you tested the compression? Is there noise? Do you think it has dropped a valve or broken a piston? Blown head gasket?

Vacuum gauge always is an excellent diagnostic tool before pulling anything, including spark plug & coil pack if an intake plug in port is accessible. JG

Vacuum gauge always is an excellent diagnostic tool before pulling anything, including spark plug & coil pack if an intake plug in port is accessible. JG
Hi Ringer - thanks for your message - mechanic has not done a leak down test but absence of smoke makes him think it’s a valve problem. Adjoining cylinder has 155, all good in cyl #2 and others. Has ruled out head gasket. They put a coil in first, wasn’t the problem so removed new one and put old one back on.

Sounds like you need to do a leak down test to find out exactly what the problem is. After that you can then work out the best way forward.
Hi Col - my mechanic says as it isn’t blowing smoke he thinks it’s the valve, not piston. No. 1 cyl zero compression, No.2 and others 155.

If he's using a gauge he knows which one.

If he's using a code reader, then the cylinders are numbered from the transmission end.

One would most likely think a valve if there are no other symptoms other than lost compression on one cylinder, no overheating, coolant in oil etc. You can usually pick which valve it is by listening at the inlet and exhaust?
Does the mechanic have an inspection camera so he can view the valves though the spark plug hole?
Long shot, but I had a Volvo that suddenly lost compression on one cylinder and it had a broken valve spring (which I subsequently changed without removing the head). If it was a holed piston it would chuff like a steam train out of the oil filler cap.