New remote fob/plip

FUN206,

all that's been done is the outer shell has been replaced (and the ID46 RFID chip swapped over) - completely different scenario to what is behind the intent of this thread.

FUN206,

all that's been done is the outer shell has been replaced (and the ID46 RFID chip swapped over) - completely different scenario to what is behind the intent of this thread.

Yeah, I get that. Just thought someone might like to see what's going on inside.

If it adds anything, I pulled the 'board' [chips] out of my key last night - and held it physically away from the RFID transponder chip in the key. It does lock/unlock the car without the rest of the key - as mentioned above.

and - interestingly

You can also physically lock/unlock and start the car with out the mother board, as long as the RFID chip is in the key...

The motherboard is merely to lock/unlock the car remotely.

What is unclear is - what involvement (if any) is there between the remote central locking, and the RFID chip? None at all, ever - or is the RFID chip used to initialise the remote central locking the first time it's linked to the car?

The RFID chip MUST be near the steering wheel lock in order for the car to start. It doesn't actually need to be near the key. You could take it out of the key and tape it to the steering wheel lock if you were ever in a situation where you had a spare key blade but no RFID chip with it.

I remember meeting someone at the airport who couldn't start their car, but the engine would turn over. What happened was they got a new key cut, and drove in with the original key in their pocket (but close enough to the steering wheel lock sensor that it recognised a 'valid' key). They gave the original key to a friend, who left the state. They were then stuck there unable to drive...

As I said above the chip and remote are paired for loss of a better term so for example even two brand new keys ok swap over the chips code one key and the remote won’t work just call it electrical voodoo

dmccurtayne,

I'm not disbelieving you - I'm just trying to work out why...

From what I can see, the carrier for remote central locking is 434 MHz, and 125 kHz for the RFID immobiliser. If this is the case, then the central locking and immobiliser functions are completely independent. There may be something different, though, where the initial pairing takes some data from the RFID chip, through the car, and then to the central locking. That would make sense - but why? If anything, it makes things complicated for Peugeot.