new 604

Both your 604s seem to have mirrors on both sides. Plastic on the dead one, and chrome on the good one.
Mine has a chrome mirror on the driver's door only.
Are the plastic ones on the blue car inside adjustable?
Is it hard to get left hand chrome mirrors?

Pugnut403 said:
Both your 604s seem to have mirrors on both sides. Plastic on the dead one, and chrome on the good one.
Mine has a chrome mirror on the driver's door only.
Are the plastic ones on the blue car inside adjustable?
Is it hard to get left hand chrome mirrors?

the plastic one was just an el cheapo mirror
the chrome one on the new car is exactly the same as the drivers side one
i am yet to pull the mirror off to see if it has the internal adjuster on it as i had a pair on another 604 that were both internally adjustable as well and they were the same as the drivers side mirrors we got here on the cars
you just need to modify the door trim to fit the knob for the mirror
in answer to your question of are they hard to get is yes they are very hard to get
the trouble with the left hand mirrors also is that you just can't get one from a left hand drive car as they are at a different angle
you need to be lucky enough to get one from a right hand drive car and they are very rare
hope that helps

BTW the last of the 604's in 85,86 had the same style mirrors as the 505's
they had a different front glass and the mirror sat in the window like the 505's
mind you the last of the 604's were GTI's and GRDT's

now here is a pic i found while looking around of a sad 604 but it's an 84 model
you can see what i mean about the later mirrors

81_1_s.JPG

And it's also an American model. Those headlights make it look like any other yank tank.:(

Is there also a black/dark green car on that site?

:cheers:

that pic is from ebay
there are plenty of pics of them around
that is a pretty sad example of a 604
and yes i hate those lights they have

Bugger about the mirrors. They are lovely mirrors.
Can you modify the LHD mirrors to work?

you can modify them to work
it's just a matter of pulling them apart and trying to set the angle further in towards the car to suit sitting on the other side of the car to view the mirror
it's either that or get the glass modified in the car and fit the later >83 505 style mirrors to the car
that way you have two mirrors albeit plastic ones but also they are readily available and are internally adjustable as well
i think some 505's might have even had the electric mirrors but i could be wrong but that would be the way to go
i do like the chrome (rolls royce actually) original mirrors

I've hardly seen a 505 since I heard about the mirror possibilities.

I am probably not going to spend much on the 604, I am looking to tidy up the things It needs to get back on the road without going all out on a new metallic paint job and leather retrim :2cents:
I am probably going to fix the brake booster and back screen, tidy up a few rust bubbles (it is not too bad in that way) and there is a possibility that it just might get a set of injectors off a Volvo :dance: . Apart from those little things it is pretty much registerable now. I would love to pour money into it and make it the best 604 in Tassie with a manual and new leather etc. but I need to choose 2 cars in the short term and one in the long term to spend my money on, and I have chosen the 404 in the long term with the 403 as a short term project, so the 604 has to go. The only way it will get 505 mirrors is if I get a set for nothing off a wreck.
On the other hand, I intend to get another 604 to spend up on in a year or three, and it will get electric mirrors if it can.

i just acquired a full injection setup from a volvo from the heads up
i am only missing a fuel distributor which i will get around to at a later date
i also now have a flywheel as well woohoo
so i am getting closer to a GTi 604 look a like now :D:D

Pugnut403 said:
To quote Monty Python, "You lucky bastard!"

i laughed when i read that
i know i shouldn't :D
i'd say if you can afford to keep the 604 hanging around you would be better off keeping her untill certain parts turn up and you can put them to use
if you can operate a sewing machine and your seats are good enough to use as a template you could nearly recover the seats yourself in something better than what the 604 came with
the common thing was to leave the leather around the sides and recover the seat and backrest in the centres with 505 tweed
the blue car we have here has cloth inserts and cloth door trims as you may have noticed if you have seen the pics

I couldn't use a sewing machine to save my life, but my sister has a certificate in clothing manufacture. Might have to be very careful to stay in her good books :D

I can't spend much on the 604 for 2 reasons, one that I don't have a real lot to spend, and the other that with the proce of 604s now I will never get back what I spend. I can't keep it for too much longer, as I already have several other cars in the yard, and I have been told NO MORE! :D I don't really want to see it go for parts, as it is too good for that. It just needs an owner who likes and understands the little idiosyncrasies of old Pugs.

As for laughing at Monty Python, of course you should laugh at it! They are the best. I can't help rolling with laughter when I see them. That quote of course is from The Life of Brian for anyone who doesn't know :D

i decided today that i'm going to go through the wiring on the 604 and have it so that windows and sunroof work independantly from the ignition

it has always bugged me that a 604 you have to have the ignition on to open or close the windows where as the 306 you need only the acc's on

i think that will be a job after i service the tranny and set the tappett clearances

can't wait till i finish the new injected engine to drop in