all the normal things in it
got down to where the car was and threw on a manifold and carb
put the pump in place
took a little winding then choked her and off she went
once warm the car ran on all 6 woohoo i thought
then no drive
put in some atf and drive appeared yay
car sang all the way home returning would you believe around 28mpg on unleaded
car ran a little warm when we had to stop for road works but it doesn't have an engine fan on it so i just killed the car till we go the go sign
what amazed me was the car arrived home and has a grey exhaust pipe
it threw the water pump belt 200m from home but that was due to doing a quick fix on the water pump pulley as we didn't have an engine fan so that was lucky
the other 1/2 is fairly happy with the new aquisition
the blue import will now be stripped down
the weird thing was the blue car with the same carb and manifold used to return around 17mpg on a trip yet the 78 returns much more :confused:
nothing else was changed
but having a grey pipe astounded me
the other thing i have to do is work out why the front end of the car is sitting up so high
it's that high the front end has positive camber
the last time i had a car sit like that i ended up taking the springs out and had them remade 3" lower
i'll look closer today to see what the front end is doing
other than that the car motored along very well

Sean,

Your an addict ! You should have your head check for 604itist! Hope this car keeps singing for years too come. If i get another barge in I will contact you.

Cheers Nick

:D:D:D
i must thank Colin (alpine) for the car and his assistance for the car
Colin i really hope your back gets back to normal

604itis :D:D
it's a disease i have had since the late 70's
many have tried to shake it out of me but they have all failed

Congrates Sean, now all you need is a stick shift in it :D

So there will be another couple of pugs around town soon :dance:

We're becoming a real pug town lately.

let us know when you get down here and we'll catch up

On the drive over to young and back I got 24mpg with an out of tune carbie :confused:

:cheers:

yeah i am working on ideas for a manual as we speak
i am tracking down a few things as well so keep tuned

i'll be taking pics of the "new" car to keep a pictorial update of how it is coming along
plus the other 1/2 is going to be pic happy as the old girl ends her life
also she is going to be giving the car a good wash and polish while i do the hard yards fiddling with the "bloke" stuff as she calls it :D

ok
i found out why the car was sitting so high in the front end
it had spacers on top of the struts effectively raising the body from the strut
so i have now removed these and i'll see how for the car sits down after moving it around a bit and parking it again
now then
wasn't there a thread somewhere where someone was after some spacers to raise a 504 ???
if so and you can remember who you were then these spacers are yours as i in no way would ever run them in a car :D
in a 504 they should be ok if you run a 505/604 lower control arm to regain some negative camber that you will lose when you put these spacers in

put it this way
the car had around 1.5degrees positive camber in the 604 and you should see the tyres after a 350km trip :D
luckily they were only old tyres so i wasn't too worried so long as the car made it home
which it did

That was me. My brother and I were thinking about raising his 504.

How thick are the spacers? I'll take you up on that offer. Might never get used, but you never know.

John

I plead innocence on the spacers. could they have been a crude effort to lighten the steering? but was wondering if car was up at front as result of having a couple of 403 blocks hiding in the boot for a while, out of the weather
So pleased all are happy
Colin

peujohn said:
That was me. My brother and I were thinking about raising his 504.

How thick are the spacers? I'll take you up on that offer. Might never get used, but you never know.

John

john they are about 10-11mm thick
the car has sat back down to normal now after taking them out
i know it doesn't sound much but it did make a difference to the car

alpine said:
I plead innocence on the spacers. could they have been a crude effort to lighten the steering? but was wondering if car was up at front as result of having a couple of 403 blocks hiding in the boot for a while, out of the weather
So pleased all are happy
Colin

colin
the steering was very light on the way home
it was that light that it would actaully wander a bit on the road but i think that was due more to having positive camber
that's all ok now
the blocks sitting in the boot would have raised the front end but after driving as far as we did it should have settled back down again in that distance so i'd say it was due more to having the spacers in the top of the struts

Ray Bell said:
Good to see you're happy, 'rambo...

But weren't you going to take me over to help collect the car so I could discuss 404 parts with Colin?

yes
but trying to track you down is near impossible :D
i never know where you are or where you are going to be lol

sounds like a marriage :D:D

i think colin has a 67 wagon there
you'd have to see what he has or ask him to let you know whats there

i still might lower the front end though as all my cars bar the 405 and 306 have been modified in one way or another

the other 1/2 has been busy cleaning and polishing the car so i must be in the good books :D

briz205 said:
Sean,

Your an addict ! You should have your head check for 604itist! Hope this car keeps singing for years too come. If i get another barge in I will contact you.

Cheers Nick

i think you may be right nick and i think the missus has the disease as well
we were out polishing and working on 604 V2.0 till 11:30 tonight
at the rate we are going the car will be finished in a couple of days :D

The grey exhaust would be due to lead deposits in the exhaust system
or the heads.
The car probably hasnt been driven since lead was phased out.

Graham Wallis

Nice one!
I love 604s too. I have got to sell mine though. I would rather do it up, but lack of space, dollars and time mean I can't. I love them though, so I will get another one in a few years.
Good luck with it Rambo!