My Brand New Second Hand Koleos.

Mine is also 2WD. My previous Koleos was 4WD and I think I might have used it once as 4WD. On the very rare occasions when it went of the paved roads it coped in 2WD. For me, it wasn't worth paying the extra for 4WD. (I have not yet had the need to go uphill on wet grass).
Even the 2WD Koleos is rated to 2000kg for a braked trailer and 750kg for unbraked trailer.
These days, I tow a box trailer occasionally and it's nowhere near 750kg when full.
I used to pull the motorbike trailer for the grandkids when they were into motorbikes.
3 motorbikes plus all the gear would have been a decent load, and with 4 people on board the Koleos managed without fuss.

As for the sunroof, mine has the sunroof but I would he happy not having one.
But you can't get the Intens spec Koleos without it so there is no choice.

The only time an early Koleos 4WD is truly in 2WD is when the dashboard switch is switched to "2WD". If left in the Auto (central) position the transmission will engage 4WD automatically when it detects loss of traction at the front wheels, so whilst you might think it's just 2WD , it might or might not be! When the dash selector switch is switched to 4WD, both axles are constantly driving up to 40 km/h at which speed the transmission will automatically revert to "Auto" mode. I have used the 4WD system extensively in mud and snow, keeping the speed below the 40 km/h "limit" and avoiding any loss of traction between the "Auto" mode changes, which is important in really difficult conditions.

The only time an early Koleos 4WD is truly in 2WD is when the dashboard switch is switched to "2WD". If left in the Auto (central) position the transmission will engage 4WD automatically when it detects loss of traction at the front wheels, so whilst you might think it's just 2WD , it might or might not be! When the dash selector switch is switched to 4WD, both axles are constantly driving up to 40 km/h at which speed the transmission will automatically revert to "Auto" mode. I have used the 4WD system extensively in mud and snow, keeping the speed below the 40 km/h "limit" and avoiding any loss of traction between the "Auto" mode changes, which is important in really difficult conditions.
I'm not saying 4WD will be useful or necessary for some people, for me it's not.
I doubt the 4WD will engage in city driving which is where I do most of my driving.
I think the 4WD light on the dash will illuminate whenever the car is in 4WD, even if the selection is switched to automatic.
(I've probably jinxed it now and will get bogged somewhere in the next couple of weeks).

Cheers RTT

I'm not saying 4WD will be useful or necessary for some people, for me it's not.
I doubt the 4WD will engage in city driving which is where I do most of my driving.
I think the 4WD light on the dash will illuminate whenever the car is in 4WD, even if the selection is switched to automatic.
(I've probably jinxed it now and will get bogged somewhere in the next couple of weeks).

Cheers RTT
You would have be seriously scrappy to engage the the rear wheels in the city in the dry!!
Come wet weather though, things change.
Sometimes on wet roads, just because I can, I switch it to 2wd mode and the amount of traction lost gives a good perspective of those little moments when the AWD systems just helps tame the beast that a SUV is.
I live in an area with lots of little incline changes and the corners that come with this, and the AWD really does help out a lot.
I cant remember ever seeing a 4wd light glowing though.

Jo

I have the factory floor mats, I would have bought them if they weren't already fitted. Definitely need a boot liner. Everything slides around in the boot.

Cheers
RTT

My temporary simple solution to the very slidey boot floor - I will later put in a mat with real carpet (Bunnings) which doesn't slide as much.
But an occy strap on the forward cargo hooks works quite well. I leave the left one connected and just throw the loose end into the bin at the left rear corner. This strap is 1150mm but may have started as a 1200 with a couple of knots in it.

IMG_20210908_143111145_HDR_red.jpg

My temporary simple solution to the very slidey boot floor - I will later put in a mat with real carpet (Bunnings) which doesn't slide as much.
But an occy strap on the forward cargo hooks works quite well. I leave the left one connected and just throw the loose end into the bin at the left rear corner. This strap is 1150mm but may have started as a 1200 with a couple of knots in it.

View attachment 136384
I have a long shallow plastic container holding thermal blankets, work gloves, a spare fire extinguisher, 12v Vacuum cleaner and many other nefarious articles which are held in place by diagonal occy straps from the child seat belt mounts behind the seat backs to the corner plastic fold down pad eyes on either side at the boot opening. The system works well!

When we were allowed to venture afield, we often used the 4wd function on our Koleos oiler when geocaching.
They're a good thing.

Dave

That is not so in the 2008 Koleos. It doesn't matter how hard you press the pedal, the vehicle will not exceed your preset limit speed on the level. Yours must be broken! :)
On both my (previous) 2008 and current 2014 Koleos the speed limiter can be over ridden by flooring the accelerator and it says so in the book.Not just pressure but flooring it!!
Peter.

On both my (previous) 2008 and current 2014 Koleos the speed limiter can be over ridden by flooring the accelerator and it says so in the book.Not just pressure but flooring it!!
Peter.

I defer to your representations. Rarely having engaged the speed limiter but on the two occasions that I have and being aware that it was likely to work as commonly percieved I was not using it for anything other than a demonstration to myself that it was a lot less efficient and usable than the cruise control so at no stage whilst it was in use did I have the desire or necessity to floor the accellerator pedal, an action which seems to be the antithesis of it's function.

Reactions: IWS
A question to those of you that have the current HZG Koleos, are the door mounted rear-view mirrors supposed to automatically fold when the ignition is off?
I thought they did but mine will only fold if you use the switch on the armrest.

Cheers
RTT

A question to those of you that have the current HZG Koleos, are the door mounted rear-view mirrors supposed to automatically fold when the ignition is off?
I thought they did but mine will only fold if you use the switch on the armrest.

Cheers
RTT
Maybe not when ignition off but when the doors are locked after you exit?

Cheers

Justin

the Latitude mirrors fold when the car locks... mostly... if one of the switches is not in "neutral" when the door is locked the mirrors sometimes do not fold.

Bob

Mine automatically fold on locking the doors, and unfold when unlocked.
But I think this is selectable if you don't want automatic, and I found this:
http://www.rkoleos.com/40/rear_view_mirrors.html
Looks like the automatic function can be activated or deactivated with the switch on the armrest. Although the manual does not specify this, my guess is that you may have to hold the switch down a few seconds to change the function - just a guess. Pressing it quickly might just fold or unfold as required.

We love auto folding RV mirrors! Just a gimmicky thing, but was on our must have list for our next car, even before we had to go shopping for a car. OK, they are probably designed primarily to allow walking between cars in car parks without damaging mirrors, and for more room to walk. For us, we had rented a few cars over the years and found it really handy to look back after walking away from the car to confirm it was locked - how many times does one walk back to check!

On the other hand, on my daughter's Rav 4, they prefer to operate them with the switch, as they have a very narrow carport and they prefer to drive in and out with the mirrors folded in. So it is good that the cars are designed to select whatever suits the owner.

Cheers.

how many times does one walk back to check!
zero times.

Use the remote and lock it, or more likely re-lock it with the button.
Press it twice to save you walking back yet again to check the windows are shut!!

Thanks guys, I can make the mirrors fold and unfold using the armrest switch so the folding mechanism does work.
But they just won't fold or un-fold automatically when the car is locked or the engine started.
I usually use the walk-away locking but in the instances where I have used the remote to lock/unlock the mirrors weren't folding/unfolding either. The walk-away locking is so sensitive that if I walk from one side of the car to the other it will lock itself so I don't need to use the keycard.
Thought there might have been something in the set-up menu that I missed. I couldn't see anything in the owners manual (as shown in Fordman's link) but the manual is pretty thick so I could be missed.
It's due it's next service in February, I'll ask the workshop to have a look when it goes in.

Cheers
RTT

I think the arm rest switch on the Latitude is a 3 way switch perhaps the centre position is for automatic when the doors are locked.

Ref my link in post #113 above. This is the same in my Owners Manual on page 1.80.

""In any case, you can make the door mirrors fold in or fold out with switch 1.
If the switch 1 is pressed, automatic mode is deactivated. To reactivate the automatic mode, press the switch 1 again.""

Just to check this out, I just experimented with this setting on my car.
Holding the "1" button down for a few seconds made no difference, it just opened or closed the mirrors, so I was wrong to guess that might work.
Then I manually closed the mirrors before turning off the ignition and exiting the car and locking manually, and voila, the next time I unlocked the car the mirrors did not fold out. However, after unlocking and relocking the car again, it reverted to the automatic status, so what is meant by the above instruction, I have no idea. Maybe it means "temporarily deactivate".
So maybe there is something else, like wriggle your nose while holding button "1", but I'm no closer to knowing how to reactivate the automatic function.

just a guess..have you tried double clicking the lock button on the remote??
On the earlier model, single click locks the car as is (windows slightly open in "dog/wife mode) , double click locks AND shuts all the windows and sunroof.
Nothing to do with mirrors but worth a try.

You'd hope the thick instruction book would make this clear, wouldn't you? Changing the digital speedo on the Series II Scenic from km to miles is an example. The book indeed tells you how to do this, but....
1. Not where you'd expect to find it in the book
2. I couldn't work out how to do it
2. Once you have done it, you can see that the book is correct but it is even clearer that it doesn't actually tell you how to do it!!

Like those who design forms, everyone who makes up these instruction books should be obliged to use them.

Mini-rant over.... :)