My 306

Splintex

Fellow Frogger
About 6mths ago I bought a 2000 306 auto sedan for $2100. Only intended to be a spare car while I get several things fixed on my 2003 Ford Futura, I have found over time that it's more endearing that I would have at first suspected. In fact, if you'd told me a year ago that I would buy a second hand Peugeot, I'd have :roflmao:

That aside, it's a firm member of the family now, and may possibly become the missus' car when she gets her licence.

For a car that price, it's in reasonably good nick: have had to fix a few small things, such as the speed transducer (speedo would "retire" and maybe come back in 5min - or the next day :eek: ), the duco is crap (someone appears to have had an epic fail in buffing it, with resultant scars on the roof & boot), and a T-belt will be in the near future.

I'd be grateful for any advice about the car, including where to get a workshop manual, and what (if any) accessories might still be available.

......a man of distinction, a real small spender, good looking, so refined etc
Welcome

They are a nice little car. A manual is particularly impressive.

I'm a Cit man, but as the Citroen Xsara shared much with the 306 you will find useful official repair information at http://service.citroen.com/dtt/CDP/donnees/en_US/en_us_t1_2001.zip. The engine code is in your VIN, 3 letters starting at the 6th position.

Haynes do a manual. Pug owners' handbooks are online.

From your other post, I'm surprised they are rare in the Gong - Corban sold them for years (now bought out by Gateway).

After 240,000 fault free km, I am retiring my 306 Style. Rego runs out shortly and it will then find it's way onto the race track. Mine still has all original shocks, clutch, all suspension joints, heater core, fan, ECU etc. So in other words, since 1996 when it rolled off the production line, it has had services, brake pads tyres (only 6 replacements in 240,000km) and timing belts.

They are a great little car, and if I could buy one new today, it would have to be considered carefully against the other small cars on offer.

It is amazing what you can still buy for these from the UK, there must be thousands of them on the road over there still. Get on line and check out ebay UK.

Welcome to the pond!

Thanks kindly for the welcome guys :) and thanks also for the initial advice.

One thing I would like to find is some weathershields for the front doors (operating the wiper-washer with the windows down results in water dripping into the car, generally onto the window switches :mad: ).

seasink, with reference to the owner's manual, my engine appears to be the 2.0 16v, though whether that implies DOHC I'm not certain. The tranny is, I think, the ZF "adaptive" auto, with the "zigzag" shift, and optional sport & snow modes.

Post the letters in the VIN and we can look up exactly what you have.

All the 16v XU engines used were DOHC. There'll be a '16v' branding on top of the rocker cover if it is one.

You can tell whether you have the ZF or AL4 auto by going for a drive. If it works, you have the ZF :D

I will do that shortly, either here or in the 306 ID sticky thread.

I'll also try to scan the ID pages in the back of my 306 owner's manual, some relevant info therein.

Welcome to Aussiefrogs and nice to hear you are enjoying your 306, nice cars.
Funny enough I never would have thought I'd buy a French car either and then after spontaneously getting one early this year I soon had a second [emoji854]

I will do that shortly, either here or in the 306 ID sticky thread.

I'll also try to scan the ID pages in the back of my 306 owner's manual, some relevant info therein.
Scratch the scan bit, I forgot that my scanner's on the fritz at present :doh:

I've just been reading through the 306 ID sticky thread, and combining that info with the tech. data in the owner's manual, have worked out some of what my car may be.

The VIN is VF37BRFVW33xxxxxx, build date 08/00.

VF3 = Peugeot

7B = Sedan

RFV = 1998cc 16v (DOHC) injected, apparently the XU10J4R; nothing on the rocker cover to say so, though.

W might refer to the transmission? Something else I read in the sticky thread indicates that the tranny is the AL4, in spite of the shifter being "zigzag" rather than a "T-bar". The tranny does include optional sport & snow modes.

Not sure what the 33 refers to, except it may mean that my car was manufactured at Ryton.

The tail lamp cluster has the tail/stop lights at the bottom (unlike the earlier ones), there is no badging for trim anywhere (eg no XT etc and no indication that there ever was any), headlights are clear lens, foglights are glass & circular, bumpers/skirts are colour coded (the car is silver) whereas the mirrors are black, and there is no rear window wiper.

The car was sold new by Melrose of Phillip, in the ACT, and seems to have spent some time in Bega. The previous owner bought it from a used car yard in Unanderra.

It is a 5 door 306, with the XU10J4R engine (code RFV). The injection system is Bosch MP5.2. I think you'll find it is the AL4 auto box though. The gearstick moves left in the gate to change manually. At it's age, give it some love and affection to keep it going. The manufacturer thinks they are sealed for life!

Some service aspects of that engine are covered in the Xsara file I linked.

A 2000 model with no badging is going to be an xt. The zigzag gear pattern means al4 (so get the oil changed in the trans asap) a Standard t bar with a button is the zf. All autos after 99 when they went to the crystal headlights and fog lights and the small colour coded side moulds had an al4. They are great cars little 306s if you look after them they'll look after you.

Thanks again for the info. seasink, it's a sedan, not a 5dr; I think I've correctly interpreted the codes in that respect. And.....(checks in driveway)........yep, definitely 4dr sedan.

I also take to heart that it's longish in the tooth, and therefore requires a little extra nurturing. One of the first things I had done was a general service, followed by a tranny service. Also two new tyres up front, replacement of the other belt (the external one) which got rid of some ugly noises under the bonnet :) and replacement of the speed tranducer, so as to have a 24/7 speedo instead of a casual one :rolleyes:

It got through its first pink slip in one go, and recently was a good little performer in taking me & Her Indoors up to Umina and other places on the Central Coast. Never missed a beat :cool:

It's a bit sucky that a car that has an auto (rain-sensing) wiper setting, foggies + skirt, front and rear room lights, power windows, "smart" climate control all as standard, lacks a cup holder of any persuasion :disappr: Heck, my previous Ford, a 1996 EF Falcon, even had that.

Oh, and BTW the rims are 14" factory alloys, with a pleasing "scythe" sort of pattern :cool:

Sir, your car is French. It is inconceivable that a Frenchman would want that ridiculous Americanism in his car. French gentlemen do not drink milky coffees in cars. Since Pugs aren't sold in the US, you cannot expect cupholders. (The Germans aren't keen either).

Actually some new models do have something - usually one only, sized for an espresso shot glass or similar. There's a history of cupholders at How U.S. car design came to include cup holders or at http://www.bonappetit.com/trends/article/the-history-of-the-car-cup-holder

There is talk in this post about not expecting to ever own a pug. A wonderful family in Tasmania that I grew up with were all British car nuts until I sold their eldest son his first car, a 1975 504. Within months all their family cars were Peugeots with a collection of 205s 505s to follow. They are converts - anyone who drives a good older pug will find it hard to compare other comparable age cars favourably.

Sir, your car is French. It is inconceivable that a Frenchman would want that ridiculous Americanism in his car.]

A wine flute would just fall over in one anyway!

If you're desperate for a cup holder you should be able to find some DIY ones on ebay etc. You usually cram them into a gap in the console fitting somewhere.

A wine flute would just fall over in one anyway!

If you're desperate for a cup holder you should be able to find some DIY ones on ebay etc. You usually cram them into a gap in the console fitting somewhere.
I'd suspected that I may have to resort to such.

While being a smoker, my Futura came with no ashtray, so I keep a little tin for the butts, and only smoke with the windows down. With the pug now similarly equipped, its ashtrays are therefore both virgin and redundant, so I'm hoping I can rig something that will perch out of the front ashtray.

I am about to come by a 97 306 manual 5dr hatch for not a lot of dough, hopefully to cannibalise it for spares. The motor in my sedan has recently taken to making some oily smells from under the hood, and is starting to blow a little smoke at first starting.

The donk in this hatch doesn't blow smoke, and while running rough when first started cold, smooths out when warm.

Is it possible to use the engine from a manual car in an auto car?

And the lass looks like this:

Left side view, with Big Sis Ford lurking behind:

Front view, note the scratches on the bonnet:

Rear view; note severe scratches on boot (apparent evidence of a polishing episode gone wrong):

Close up LH view

Close up RH view

This was the day we got back from the Central Coast. Sometimes you just get presented with a cool opportunity in photography right out of the blue, and I thought this was so cool, the PugLeo on the window just happening to be outlined on the lock button. Hence why I chose it for my avatar.

Paintwork blemishes aside, that's a very nice-looking unit! The bad news is that if your experience turns out to be at all like mine was, you should prepare for a long haul: my first Pug was an 8-valve 306 XSi auto hatch, purchased new in 1996. My only lasting issue with it was that the rear window washer never worked, but you seem to have circumvented that problem. It had an aftermarket sunroof that once failed (open) in the rain, but I could hardly blame Peugeot for that.

After far too many years of driving nothing but mostly-forgettable vanilla tat, I too was conditioned to not expect endurance, and like a fool I let it go after only four years and 100,000 km, anticipating problems that apparently never materialized, because I saw it again in a yard years later, looking just as impeccable as the day I'd traded it. Of all the cars I've ever owned, it's one of the very few that I wouldn't mind going back to. But I traded it on a 206GTi, which I spent 10 years trying unsuccessfully to run into the ground. Traded that on a 6-spd 207 HDi oil-burner (for me) (another brilliant car, btw) and a petrol auto 207 for my wife.

And last year, I turned the diesel in for my current car, a little bolter of a 208GTi. My daughter now drives my wife's old 207; meanwhile my son has come on board with a new-look 308 and a 2008 for his wife. So don't say you were never warned about what could happen ...