My 306

Euro regulations make drinking anything while on the move totally illegal, hence no manufacturer is allowed to have cup holders. It's considered a driver distraction, equivalent to most countries rules about mobile phones etc.

Lovely cars. We've just driven in UK and they are still to be seen on the road, although not as common as 20 years ago of course. What surprised me was the impression that more Xsaras have survived than 306s. There are very few to be seen in France though. Still, in the modern world and European climate, usually "garaged in the open air", I reckon 15 years + is pretty good. the only reason we got rid of ours after 20 years was to get something a bit easier to get into and out of, as backs don't seem to age as well as Peugeots!

Great cars 306s here's a shot of my old one. Still regret selling it everytime the sun comes out!

bbbc61bc4d158632cb1058daca5fe073.jpg

Great cars 306s here's a shot of my old one. Still regret selling it everytime the sun comes out!

bbbc61bc4d158632cb1058daca5fe073.jpg
That's a nice looking unit cav91 :cool: quite obviously the cabrio sister to my sedan. Curious question, where was this pic taken? It reminds me of one of the parks built along the former Traralgon-Maffra-Stratford railway line in Vic (which some of has been "railtrailed"), in this case, maybe Tinamba.

Just to repeat my earlier question to all you 306/Xsara cognoscenti: tomorrow I'll be getting an out of rego 97 306 XT 5dr hatch. It's a manual; if need be, can its engine (XUwhatsit) go into my auto (AL4)?

The answer to this question will determine just what is worth reaping from this hatch in terms of spares.

Hoping you all can help, any info most welcome :D

Last edited:
The photo was taken in a new estate out the back of sunbury in victoria. Nothing picturesque!

Is the one you've bought definitely an xt? If it's an xt before 1999 it will have the 1.8l twin cam engine. If its an xsi it will have the same 2 liter as yours. Code for yours is xu10j4r code for an xt is xu7jp4.

Just to repeat my earlier question to all you 306/Xsara cognoscenti: tomorrow I'll be getting an out of rego 97 306 XT 5dr hatch. It's a manual; if need be, can its engine (XUwhatsit) go into my auto (AL4)?
A '97 306 XT hatch is a 1.8 litre motor (XU7).

Depending on whether it is an N3 or an N5, it will be an 8valve or a 16valve, but neither will be a 2.0 XU10 like the one in your sedan.

Not sure if the AL4 auto would physically bolt up to the 1.8 (it probably does), but being an AL4 with its own ECU, I'm not sure I'd recommend it.

Thanks kindly for the advice.

It's a 1997 XT 5dr hatch, so therefore obviously not donked with an XU10 :mad: Oh, crivens....

I'll do some VIN investigations to see precisely what I've got (for bugger all dosh).

But it still has a future as a donor car at other levels :)

Thanks kindly for the advice.

It's a 1997 XT 5dr hatch, so therefore obviously not donked with an XU10 :mad: Oh, crivens....

I'll do some VIN investigations to see precisely what I've got (for bugger all dosh).

But it still has a future as a donor car at other levels :)
VIN investigations would seem to bear this out. While looking identical at a glance under the bonnet, apparently this hatch does have a 1.8l motor (albeit also a 16V injected one), rather than a 2.0l.

Another question for you learned folk: my 306 sedan has clear lens headlights, whereas the hatch has "prismatic" ones (like headlights of old, albeit both plastic). The physical size of the headlight units appears to be the same, therefore supposing I could swap the units between the cars.

When it comes to light quality though, which is better, the prismatics or the clears?

FWIW, the light quality on the sedan is effin awful (thank god for the froggy foggies!), but I think I could amplify that with some better globes.

In my opinion I always though the later "crystal" lights put out better light. They have two globes one for low and one for high beams. Whilst the earlier lined type had one globe that does both. Is the adjustement in the cabin all the way up? Should be on the front surface of the dash in front of the drivers right knee. I thought mine had pretty good lights. However I did still go and put hids in the high beams just to make it really good. Mainly because I do a lot of country night driving.

Sent from my SM-G930F using aussiefrogs mobile app

Yes, adjustment is all the way up/at neutral or "0", though something else that might be muting my light performance is the stoneshields for the headlamp lenses. None of it's gone opaque yet (as many old headlamp lens 12yrs or older tend to), though you can see the beginnings of that. Kitten liquid polishing wax can help restore the transparency on these old plastic lenses.

The two globes in the sedan (clear) vs. one globe in the hatch (prismatic) has settled it for me - no contest. And of course, I'll upgrade the globes. I did that in the Ford, and improved its headlamps no end.

Thanks kindly for the advice :cool:

Personally, I prefer to use Philips X-treme Vision or Osram Nightbreaker globes.

Powerbulbs in the UK is a great supplier (if you're not in a rush on the side of the road) with free shipping to Australia and very good prices. I've used them many times and never had an issue. Just make sure you know which globes to buy (i.e. H7, H4, etc) and don't just trust their "globe selector".

Assuming they are H7 globes they will be around $30-$40 pair using the current promotion (HID20 code). They usually arrive here in 5 days. They usually retail for around $80 locally, so they have to be on a very good sale to better Powerbulbs.

Today driving without navigator is simply a waste of time. I personally find it very convenient to find the route suggested by my car navigator. If you care to know how I use it, the answer is very simple. I find it the most helpful to find the route by zip code. If you are not sure about your postal code, you may find it here worldpostalcode.com/united-states/california/los-angeles. Once you try it, you will always use this method, believe me.