Modern Alternator for Citroen DS

Big Frog

Fellow Frogger
Hi All,
The external regulator for my D shit itself a while back and in the process of sorting it out ( I posted a thread here), I decided rather than persist with external reg setup I would go with a new alt with internal reg. I found little info about to help, I saw some stuff from Richo on his conversion for another frogger, I think he used a Denso alt? But it would appear they are no longer supplied in Australia.

For the benefit of others I thought I should document what I did in case someone else wants to do it. This mod suits me, I'm not suggesting others should venture from original, and my set up can be reversed as I have all the original parts etc and the new loom is not modified.

1-reg.jpg

I chose a Bosch alt, 70 amps, I had to source a twin pulley separately, as the original alt has a longer shaft, both are 17mm dia shafts, the new one is slightly larger dia, about 75mm dia vs 55mm ish for the older one.
reg-2.jpg

Because its a Citroen it has the weird bracket that it mounts onto, this leaves a space for the metal radiator pipe to pass under the alt, this causes an issue as most alts have a deeper mounting lug on the bottom. I didn't want to cut this down as it left little meat, also wanted to keep it a straight swap to replace if that ever happened.
alt-3.jpg

Also as the alt pivots on the lug and bolt, the original has 3 bolts that go into the alt body at the rear to hold it straight.
Could not find a new alt that had this fixture. The other consideration was the clocking of the bolt hole for the tension bracket, so just picked one with it at the top.
So to make it fit I had to fabricate a new bracket to replace the original.

To that end I made up a jig that replicated the mount from the engine.
Then by mounting the old alt, I made some adjustable points that a straight edge could be used to mark the orientation of the alternator to the other pulleys.
alt4.jpg
alt5.jpg

Then with the new alt in its place I could fab up the bracket to the mirrored mount and true it up with the guides ( with adjustments for the differences in the pulleys)

alt6.jpg

So the new bracket keeps the clearance below the bracket for the radiator pipe, plus about 5mm extra, so the alt sits about 20mm higher.
To stop the rotation, I removed the bottom 2 long screws that hold the body of the alt together and replaced it with threaded rod and nylox nuts, that fit into my bracket at the back.
alt7.jpg

Here it is in place in the car, good clearance under for the radiator pipe, looks the same as before, I did have to make a new tension bracket for the top to clear the alternator, so that is visually different. The belts had to be replaced they are 25mm longer in overall length( now 11A1005 )

The brackets are getting a lick of paint now and it will go back in tomorrow, then attaching wires and looking forward to having a dash charge light again which I didn't have with the old reg I had (Bosch RE055?)

Thanks to those forum members who helped out with info etc, in my previous posts about alternators and pulleys.
cheers
Steve

Attachments

• alt7.jpg
    alt7.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 188
I'm intrigued the loom is the same? How?
It must be a BVM transmission. You can get away with simply running the "L" wire to the alternator if you have a BVM, but not if you have a BVH transmission. As we all know, you have to perform some surgery on the wiring loom to disable the starter interlock on a BVH if you go to an internally regulated alternator.

Hi
Yes the car is a manual, my statement about not modifying the harness is just that, I don't intend to cut up the harness. When I do the wiring, I'll post what I have done, Faulksy did post some options on the other thread I had. Sorry if I mislead anyone about having a miracle cure.
Cheers
Steve

I went the same way in 2005. Hasn't missed a beat since over many miles of touring and motorsport. Good choice of brand.

I did a bit of re-wiring, however, since I was doing other bits of wiring at the same time. (And wasn't concerned with retaining originality)

Cheers, Pottsy.

Attachments

• 1 Ducellier on ducellier mount.jpg
    1 Ducellier on ducellier mount.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 245
  • 2 Bosch on ducellier mount.jpg
    2 Bosch on ducellier mount.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 212
  • Rear view.jpg
    Rear view.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 225
One of the first things I did to my d. I sourced from atelier 524 so it came with all the fixings and was an easy fit. Never had an issue and it pumps out all you could want

Hi
Yes the car is a manual, my statement about not modifying the harness is just that, I don't intend to cut up the harness. When I do the wiring, I'll post what I have done, Faulksy did post some options on the other thread I had. Sorry if I mislead anyone about having a miracle cure.
Cheers
Steve
At least one solution would be to use the old regulator as a binding post. Disconnect the BOB wire from the regulator and insulate it for safety. Tie the L wire and the former EXC wire together using the EXE terminal on the vestigial regulator as the binding post. (The EXE terminal is not connected to anything once the BOB wire is disconnected). Then, connect the EXC wire (which has a spade terminal at the alternator end) to the "lamp" post on the new alternator. Basically, you are commandeering the EXE wire to extend the L wire to the alternator. No changes to the wiring loom.

im in the same boat...no output from alternator...it has the external regulator so thought getting it replaced with a bosch with internal regulator...but i dont know what model...the auto elecs have asked me!!!! is there a straight swap or is modifications to bracket a given

"my alternator with external reg is at the auto electricians and they gave up and want me to find a alternator"

Maybe they wanted you to find an alternative.

"my alternator with external reg is at the auto electricians and they gave up and want me to find a alternator"

Maybe they wanted you to find an alternative.
saw the auto elec today and he did my head in telling me the alternator is negative earth but your car is positive earth...i scatched my head thinking...thats not right...so a call to Faulksy on speaker ph resulted in...whats he talking about....then a sheepy "oh...i didnt look hard enough" from auto elec...problem solved....bosch now being fitted....joy!!

Hey Dogboy, on what car is that?

If it a DS, can you post alternator brand and model, thanks.

Folks, All you need to know is in one of the pictures at the top of the post in the first page.

Making up a bracket might a bit more challenging so some dimensions on the metal components used might be helpful.

Cheers, Ken

There's a lot of variation in the mounting lugs on the bosch alternators so no one mounting solution works for them all.

I wound out the bottom two studs that hold the alternator together and put longer ones in so that they can be used to secure the rear same as Pottsy did.

From there the only other change was to heat up and bend a zig-zag into the original tensioner bracket

There's a lot of variation in the mounting lugs on the bosch alternators so no one mounting solution works for them all.

I wound out the bottom two studs that hold the alternator together and put longer ones in so that they can be used to secure the rear same as Pottsy did.

From there the only other change was to heat up and bend a zig-zag into the original tensioner bracket
Job done...after the auto elec tried to convince me my DS was positive earth and therefor the bosch wouldnt work...a quick call to Faulksy..thanks mate...soon convinced him of his error and rather sheepishly he admitted his error....he ended up doing a spendid job with a custom built mounting,new wiring and v belts...a new bosch 85 amp alternator fitted....at last she was driven on the road after 35 years tucked away in a dromana garage alongside a 1950 Jaguar sedan.....outer driveshaft boots are missing and a RWC awaits...then club plates....back in a DS at last