Michi TRX tyres for Fuego

vivid

VIP Paid Subscriber
Fellow Frogger
I noticed quite a few Fuego owners have changed there wheels / tyres for other cheaper tyres.. Does this mean there are any of you that have spares for sale?

I still think they are produced out of PossibleButExpensivium.

VIVID: I have a set of 5 390 Peugeot wheels (from a 505 Sti), with 3 decent tyres (90%) and two buggered ones (slight accident) mallet make me an offer! Note that they're down in Tas.

Hi. I have 4 fuego alloys and want to change to inches.Any tips on what wheels to look out for in the cheap end of things.With luck I might have two new michelins lying around soon. jo

Thanks Jo, although I dont need the tyres yet, my spare is a little bald around the edges.. I would like to keep the original mags on the car, but as we all know.. $$$$$$$$$$$$ for replacement tyres cry

cry cry cry

So much for not needing any new tyres.. In my opinion 3 of them are fine, but the mechanic doing the roadworthy (despite begging, and pointing out I am not reselling the car) thought otherwise, and has put on the certificate.. (replace all 4 tyres).

Any fuego owners want to lend me 4 tyres for a few hours?? approve

Jo, let me know if you are selling yours, I would be very interested.

A friend offered a loan of her tyres, tho they are smaller tyres.. not sure if they would fit.. depends on brake clearance and the center.

besides that, all I will need to do to the car is replace the wiper blades, fix the broken cables in BOTH front seats cry and there is an oil leak coming from the fuel pump.

Hoping I can do most of this myself.

Replacement wheels

Taking Haakon's advice I encouraged a friend to replace his TRX's and mags with the 15 inch R25 alloys. These look just brilliant on the car and ended up costing $80 for the four. Tyres were per Haakon's recommendation in another thread here. Way to go.

:cheers:

I know where there is an '84 Fuego with 14" VW Golf steel rims and good Michelin Certises (Certi?) for sale ~$500 for the whole car. Was a good car when I sold it the guy a few years ago, but he neglected and whinged about it (he got it for $1300 with a RWC - a bargain I thought) and bought a Camry (which I really hope is unreliable, which it will be if he maintains it like he did this poor Fuego...)

The seat cables are an absolute prick of a job - I think KenFuego has managed to fix these bloody things and I'm sure he will be willing to help

Last edited:
Haakon said:
I know where there is an '84 Fuego with 14" VW Golf steel rims and good Michelin Certises (Certi?) for sale ~$500 for the whole car. Was a good car when I sold it the guy a few years ago, but he neglected and whinged about it (he got it for $1300 with a RWC - a bargain I thought) and bought a Camry (which I really hope is unreliable, which it will be if he maintains it like he did this poor Fuego...)

The seat cables are an absolute prick of a job - I think KenFuego has managed to fix these bloody things and I'm sure he will be willing to help
Haakon
Where is this Fuego? Is it dark blue? Is it close to r/w condition ?

All this and more will be answered :roflmao:
Chris

The car is white and in Maryborough, Victoria. It was in good nick when I last saw it a couple of years ago when I put a new clutch, front shocks and s/h gearbox in it. The owner how ever was pretty lax on the maintenence and did a lot of driving. He also took it to any old mechanic for repairs (the only fixing it when it breaks mentality and being charged a lot by mechanics who have no clue about a Fuego resulted in him being unhappy with the car. It deserves to go to someone who will understand it)

Vivid - Just checked and the post re the seat cable is in the archive common faults Fuego area.

Is this a problem for the RWC on your car as it is easy to just reach under the rear of the driver / front passenger seat and locate the release bar and pull it towards the rear and this will simply release the seat so it will fall forward to enable rear passengers to enter or leave.

I suppose as a temp fix you could tie a strong cord to both the release lever and up to the side release on the top of the seat and this may satisfy any concerns
otherwise proceed as I did and pull everything apart to reach the broken ends of the cable and repair/reconnect them.

I think that if I was doing the job again, I would work out a better way to simply recable the seat and run the cable over a roller where it wears against the seat frame - a repaired cable should then last the forseeable life of the car.

Hope this helps.

Ken

hi ken,

thanks for the reply.

the place that I took the car for a roadworthy seemed to think that reaching under the seat was unacceptable, so I ended up joining the cable with a clamp (which broke a week later)

Wheels

If you're after a cheap set of alloys to suit the Fuego, Nissan Pulsar and Honda Accord rims bolt straight on! Most wreckers should have them.
If anyone is interested, I have 2 good Michelin TRX tyres, one has about 75% tread and the other is near new although it is grubby as it was the spare under the car. It is also a Mud & Snow tyre therefore it has a chunky tread, (noisey too), but is ideal as a spare!
I'm open to offers, located in Sydney!

:cheers: Cheers Renomad

"why be normal"

Hi Renomad,

even tho, I was planning to change my TRX's when they ran out, I still haven't found a set of wheels that suits the car (imo)

I got a mate at work that is heading up to sydney very soon... how old are these tyres? Ill PM you.

vivid said:
Hi Renomad,

even tho, I was planning to change my TRX's when they ran out, I still haven't found a set of wheels that suits the car (imo)

I got a mate at work that is heading up to sydney very soon... how old are these tyres? Ill PM you.

I'll try and post some pics of my friend's Fuego with the R25 mags...they look like they were mades for the car.

:cheers:

That would be good. I was always upset that I could only afford the steel ones at the time for my Fuego and new that the alloys would be very schmick. I saw a phase 2 R21 with the R25 alloys on it a while ago, and again looked like they were made for it!

R25 Wheels

Granted R25 wheels would look good and you're in keeping with the Renault theme, but R25 wheels are made of a soft alloy and it will be hard to find a decent set that are not out of shape!
Another option would be R19 wheels, steel or alloy!

:cheers: Cheers Renomad

"why be normal"

Cheap to repair though. I'm not sure if there were dud batchs or people are just careless, but my R25 has its original alloys on it with 230K km of country roads on them and they are perfect...

I am not sure if it is true, but I remember someone mentioning that some of the 18's have the same style alloys as the fuego, but also made to fit tyres in inches. Can anyone confirm this?
My dad is living in France at the moment, so he may be able to sort something out...